Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Redideal
CF Newbie

S.O.S. - 99 Corolla Rear Window Defogger

It's not working. Other electrical devices of the car are functioning, so it couldn't be a fuse problem, could it?

Please help!! Thanks to you all!!

Redideal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:25 PM   #2
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

All I can say to you at this time: Read a few of the other postings on here and see how we do things, then come back when you have about 30 times more information if you want any type of quality help with your quandry. Oh, and I'll answer your ONE simple question that you asked on here with an answer as simple as the question: YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redideal
It's not working. Other electrical devices of the car are functioning, so it couldn't be a fuse problem, could it?

Please help!! Thanks to you all!!

2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 07:12 PM   #3
Redideal
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
All I can say to you at this time: Read a few of the other postings on here and see how we do things, then come back when you have about 30 times more information if you want any type of quality help with your quandry. Oh, and I'll answer your ONE simple question that you asked on here with an answer as simple as the question: YES

Thanks for your advice. I just checked & there's nothing related to this specific problem. I took the car to the dealer this morning & they charged $90 CDN per hr for the estimate. I was told the estimate time would be approximately 2 hrs. I'm very upset about this coz that's about $200 with taxes just for the estimate.

Old 03-10-2004, 07:24 PM   #4
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Well then give us some more information as well as what you are capable of doing with cars so that we might help you better. Automotive problem diagnosis and troubleshooting requires a little more than a brief description of the problem. Have you done any troubleshooting at all? If so, what have you done? Have you eliminated anything from being the root cause? Tell us more. We would love to help but need information.

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. I just checked & there's nothing related to this specific problem. I took the car to the dealer this morning & they charged $90 CDN per hr for the estimate. I was told the estimate time would be approximately 2 hrs. I'm very upset about this coz that's about $200 with taxes just for the estimate.

2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:41 PM   #5
Redideal
CF Newbie

Quote:
Well then give us some more information as well as what you are capable of doing with cars so that we might help you better. Automotive problem diagnosis and troubleshooting requires a little more than a brief description of the problem. Have you done any troubleshooting at all? If so, what have you done? Have you eliminated anything from being the root cause? Tell us more. We would love to help but need information.

I am not familiar with the technical stuffs of cars, to be honest with you. It all started 2 days ago, after I took the car to the dealer for an oil change. I did not notice the problem until I went out that same evening when it became rainy.

Old 03-10-2004, 07:51 PM   #6
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

Smile From your given info...

The only thing I can think of is that either there is a fuse problem, it is simply unhooked, or that there could be a problem with the motor for rear defrost. my 99 Alero had that same issue and I rectified it quickly because it was just simply unplugged, try and save yourself 200 and check that first. :smile:
Flame Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:12 PM   #7
lectroid
0000?

This is not meant to come across as sarcastic, but I'm sure it will. Do you have a owners manual? If so, look in the index under fuses and high current fuses.The high current fuses will be located in the engine compartment, I would guess this where the fuse is for your R/W defroster. If you don't have a owners manual, do you have a test light or volt-ohm meter, and can use either? If you have none of these, you will have to take each and every fuse (rated 15amp and higher) out and inspect it, to see if it is blown/open. Should be very easy to do for 90cnd (how every much that is) remove each one, have some type of light behind it and you can easily tell if it's good or bad. If you understand none of the above, do yourself a big favor and take it to the garage. How much rear window scraping can you do for 180 cnd ? This may not help, but it should guide you
Old 03-10-2004, 08:34 PM   #8
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Roller
The only thing I can think of is that either there is a fuse problem, it is simply unhooked, or that there could be a problem with the motor for rear defrost. my 99 Alero had that same issue and I rectified it quickly because it was just simply unplugged, try and save yourself 200 and check that first. :smile:

DUH!!!! Obvious and most simplistic first. Didn't even think of it being disconnected
Old 03-10-2004, 09:02 PM   #9
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

motor???

Um, wait a second, a rear window defroster has a motor???? DAMN, I learn something everyday!!!!

Bottom line is this: You have an electrical problem short of the unlikely scenario that the resistor grate in the windshield is blown or damaged from the removal of stickers via scraping/etc. Follow the advise given about checking all fuses. Check the switch too for functionality. You can actually check for current AT the window as well by grounding the ground on a test light and using the pointer end ON the actual lines of the rear window. (INSIDE the window, not outside, LOL) If you don't know how to do any of that, OR all of that data comes back clean....with your level of expertise, take the car into the shop man. It's gonna cost a few bucks but you might have to do it. Do you have a friend that knows cars? Your father.....etc???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Roller

Old 03-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #10
Redideal
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
This is not meant to come across as sarcastic, but I'm sure it will. Do you have a owners manual? If so, look in the index under fuses and high current fuses.The high current fuses will be located in the engine compartment, I would guess this where the fuse is for your R/W defroster. If you don't have a owners manual, do you have a test light or volt-ohm meter, and can use either? If you have none of these, you will have to take each and every fuse (rated 15amp and higher) out and inspect it, to see if it is blown/open. Should be very easy to do for 90cnd (how every much that is) remove each one, have some type of light behind it and you can easily tell if it's good or bad. If you understand none of the above, do yourself a big favor and take it to the garage. How much rear window scraping can you do for 180 cnd ? This may not help, but it should guide you

Thank you very much!! I shall try it this Saturday morning. Hopefully, it's not gonna rain / snow between now & then.

I am new to this website. Can't believe how helpful you guys are!!!! Thanks a big bunch!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:17 PM   #11
Redideal
CF Newbie

Quote:
Um, wait a second, a rear window defroster has a motor???? DAMN, I learn something everyday!!!!

Bottom line is this: You have an electrical problem short of the unlikely scenario that the resistor grate in the windshield is blown or damaged from the removal of stickers via scraping/etc. Follow the advise given about checking all fuses. Check the switch too for functionality. You can actually check for current AT the window as well by grounding the ground on a test light and using the pointer end ON the actual lines of the rear window. (INSIDE the window, not outside, LOL) If you don't know how to do any of that, OR all of that data comes back clean....with your level of expertise, take the car into the shop man. It's gonna cost a few bucks but you might have to do it. Do you have a friend that knows cars? Your father.....etc???

I shall try what you suggested as well! Thank you very much!!! You guys are just great!!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:42 PM   #12
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Well after all, we are the best online car-forum out there!!! ....and you're welcome. Don't forget that we like to hear back as to whether you get it fixed based off the help you got here!

Quote:
I shall try what you suggested as well! Thank you very much!!! You guys are just great!!!!

Old 03-12-2004, 04:56 PM   #13
Redideal
CF Newbie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Well after all, we are the best online car-forum out there!!! ....and you're welcome. Don't forget that we like to hear back as to whether you get it fixed based off the help you got here!

It was raining again yesterday and I switched on the defogger without realizing it's "broken". The "miracle" happened before my eyes!!! It's working! It's working!! Totally unbelievable!!

How it became broken & how it's "fixed" will remain a mystery........

In any case, Thank you for all your help!!! You

Have a great weekend!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 06:36 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
It was raining again yesterday and I switched on the defogger without realizing it's "broken". The "miracle" happened before my eyes!!! It's working! It's working!! Totally unbelievable!!

How it became broken & how it's "fixed" will remain a mystery........

In any case, Thank you for all your help!!! You

Have a great weekend!!!
This type of thing reminds me of discrepencies found by pilots during my many years working fighter aircraft. "Defroster is inop in OFF position". Indeed. You wonder why we always said it takes a college education to break them and a high school education to fix them.

I seriously doubt the problem is "fixed", more likely the only problem was a screw loose behind the steering wheel.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #15
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
This type of thing reminds me of discrepencies found by pilots during my many years working fighter aircraft. "Defroster is inop in OFF position". Indeed. You wonder why we always said it takes a college education to break them and a high school education to fix them.

I seriously doubt the problem is "fixed", more likely the only problem was a screw loose behind the steering wheel.

Maybe it was similar to a Windows problem

Occasionally my car would die on the freeway for no reason.
You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows,
shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before
you could continue. For some reason I would simply accept this.