Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2005, 06:17 AM   #1
83$+hax0revA
CF Newbie

Everybody loves the supercars....

OK, so there's like 10 bazillion "which car would you take for free?" threads. My thread, is "Why would you take any of them?" Yeah supercars look awesome and go really fast. Other than that, what do they do? Nearly everyone of them guzzles fuel at a rate that would make them unusable to commute in, parts would be insanely expensive and driving more than an hour would make your ass feel like you just drove 1900 mikles straight in a Subaru Loyale. Except for the occasional "I feel like tearing around downtown at 140, maybe give the cops something to do" Who cares about a $1M toy when you could build something just as fast, that you could be proud of, for a fraction of the cost, that would actually be reliable and reasonable to drive?

Porsche GT3 whatever - So what? Looks like any other new Porsche.
McLaren F1 - Do I need to say anything? Nobody here will ever own one of these.
Enzo - It's a race car. It just happens to be street legal.
Lamborghini anything - try driving one around town and see how you like it.

I'm not trying to be all "Supercars are gay!" I'm just saying, there are far superior machines out there.
83$+hax0revA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

When you find a far superior car to my 600 HP Lamborghini Diablo....bring you're title we'll race.....

DiabloSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:58 PM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

I think that if you can't understand how thrilling it would be to even have the opportunity to ride in one of those cars then you don't really need to be here.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

So what you're trying to say is "If You Could Have Any Car, Which Wouldn't It Be?"...Right?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

No, he's saying he's not impressed with blank check engineering. While there is something to be said with building your own instead of buying, he forgets that no one has to build supercars. Cars could just be transportation appliances. Most supercars are brought to this world through the desires of some serious car guys who are getting to build what they dreamed of, and have the funds in place to do it. it's good to see what people will come up with when cost is of little or no concern.

If he thinks it takes nothing to engineer a $1million McLaren, he hasn't done much real design and development work on anything other than bolt-ons on his own car (if that much). And he doesn't realize that some of the performance parts he is buuying cheaply to make his own car a fast car have got well over a millin dollrs of development money INTO them to be able to deliver it to him so HE doesn't have to engineer it. Like whatever engine he wants to start with...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloSV
When you find a far superior car to my 600 HP Lamborghini Diablo....bring you're title we'll race.....

we can race pink slips against my twin engined, twin turbo (each one) mcLaren SLR.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #7
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

there's a difference...I actually own the Diablo.... how's the McLaren treating you Solar...i mean Inygknok
Old 11-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

I don't mean to be a wank to anyone, but i busted my a** to get where I'm at,..... and this is my trophy. No Offense to anyone- but I have driven a few of the "Supercars" out there and owned a handful- and i have arrived at the Diablo over the many others. (Also has to do with the fact that spending over $1M for car is just insane ...and there's no way in hell I could afford that.)

Again, I will be posting (weather permitting) a really cool video of what it's like to sit in the drivers seat of this car and barrel around turns that most cars wouldn't be able to handle, at speeds that are pretty much unthinkable
Old 11-01-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
there's a difference...I actually own the Diablo.... how's the McLaren treating you Solar...i mean Inygknok
lol

btw, did Solar get completely banned so he could never get back in here?

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
ngluvakov(euro)
CF Enthusiast

Supercars...

My feelings towards the supercars are as any other man that likes cars are same, but I do not think that discussions should always lead towards them. Not so many of us are lucky enough to drive one or even worse, never have driven any. Personally, I would like to discuss about more likely things that could happen to us. That is about the middle class cars. I always seek the cars that can give you comfort and sporty spirit even without paying six-digit price for them. I am great fan of the nature and Opel cars. My every effort goes in that direction. I have started subject about car safety, but it has ended before it has began in the way that I wanted it to. Not so many of the people here agree with my point of view. Supercars are good in the scientific way, because they always try something new on them. Sometimes it is new material, sometimes it is new mechanical solution and mostly new engines that shows behavior of materials in the long-term use. That is good, but beside that, we can find nothing useful to talk about as average drivers. Streets by my opinion are unsafe enough, imagine if every one would drive 6.0 liters engine. It would be dangerous even to go out. There is few that are professional drivers, like rally drivers. Racing should be kept in the boundaries of tracks. Most of supercars come from Europe, so it is a bit out of place for me to talk about this, but I did. I love to race, but I like to do it off road mostly. It is more than dangerous even if you drive 1.3-liter car. That has given us an idea that we should keep it there. Only people that can get hurt are we, and there could be no damage to others, except the crops that could be run-down during race. I have done a serious damage few times to my Opel and even few physical that follow me through my life. I have intention to make a car. It will be handcrafted from an engine of Opel. It gives me the freedom to put any engine into it, but it will not be some abnormally strong engine, it will be in the range between 2.0 and 2.5 liters. As much as I dreamt of a supercar as a child, I think that I have grown over it.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #11
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

Quote:

Well I could probably throw a 70's Camaro together that would beat your Lamborghini Diablo in the 1/4 mile for 1/64 the price including the price of the car.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #12
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

Anyways getting back on the subject, I would be happy with a Lancia Stratos kit car.

Or a Lancia Delta S4, with its turbo and supercharged 16 valve intercooled 4 banger.

Last edited by x1/9-rally : 11-03-2005 at 10:37 AM.
x1/9-rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #13
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

Lancias are sweet....

And I can buy a dragster too...(read on)

no doubt- you probably could put together a 70's american made..anything that could 0-60 in 3.6sec, but as soon as you came into a turn- ....you'd be in the trees/bushes...there's something to be said for a car that is not only fast, but has the suspension to handle the speed. That's one of my beef's with American made cars like Vette's and Vipers- they are extremely fast- but the suspension hasn't caught up to the power of the engine yet. Still nice though....it comes down to personal preference i guess....
Old 11-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Lancias are sweet....

And I can buy a dragster too...(read on)

no doubt- you probably could put together a 70's american made..anything that could 0-60 in 3.6sec, but as soon as you came into a turn- ....you'd be in the trees/bushes...there's something to be said for a car that is not only fast, but has the suspension to handle the speed. That's one of my beef's with American made cars like Vette's and Vipers- they are extremely fast- but the suspension hasn't caught up to the power of the engine yet. Still nice though....it comes down to personal preference i guess....

I seriously doubt you've spent significant time in Corvettes and Vipers on teh track.

Let me put it to you this way. I built this car for $4500

600 hp, 700 lb ft of torque, and over 1 G of lateral grip. it was DESIGNED to go around corners. In pretty much any track situation, it would have no problem keeping up with your Diablo. Saying that American muscle can be built up to go fast in a straight line but can't corner is extremely ignorant.

Sorry, I've been in the SCCA for too many years (27 of them, to be exact) to listen to that sort of bullshit without commenting.

In fact, there's a current movement, called Pro-Touring, that is all about taking large domestic musclecars and making them corner as well as accellerate. And surprisingly, it doesn't take much suspension mods to do it. And modern purpose built cars like the Corvette and Viper are plenty capable in stock form.

http://www.autocross.us/dbgeek/TsccACU4comp.wmv

Check out the Mustang just under a minute and a half into this vid... Notice it's cornering ability.

www.midatlantic7s.com

Last edited by ChrisV : 11-03-2005 at 11:01 PM.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #15
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

chrisV, wrong video ya got there.

oh... and how did the price breakdown for that car ya built for the scca? (i'm assuming you built it for the scca? if not, what then?)

Last edited by pik_d : 11-03-2005 at 10:52 PM.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote