Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2005, 02:20 AM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

1988 Mustang or 1995?

Within the next few months maybe sooner I am going to buy a new car. I would like to know everyone's opinions on either of these. What I get will be a V8 and chances are a convertible as well. So if anyone could give me some advantages and disadvantages of both that'd be great. I know the 88' sound system sucks which I would really like to have a sound system but I have also heard the suspension on the 95 GT is horrible. So give me your opinion on either, and it will be one of these two no others I want it to be a 5.0.

Thanks in advance

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 03:30 AM   #2
Oomba
Banned

1995 is newer, so less weather worn. Probably has less miles. Looks better (imo), but the 88 is a better performer, but not by much.

I know of a 95 GT manual for sale 6000 in our area. I'll tell him ur interested if you want.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 04:13 AM   #3
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
1995 is newer, so less weather worn. Probably has less miles. Looks better (imo), but the 88 is a better performer, but not by much.

I know of a 95 GT manual for sale 200 in our area. I'll tell him ur interested if you want.

No thanks, I live in Maryland now I'll prolly find somethin within 6000 miles of around here preferrably convertible with rims

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 09-24-2005, 04:32 AM   #4
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

I'd get the 88. You can find one in great condition and probably have enough money left over to upgrade the sound system.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:48 AM   #5
6000LE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
No thanks, I live in Maryland now I'll prolly find somethin within 6000 miles of around here preferrably convertible with rims
my boy is selling a 99 GT 4.8 V8
auto tho
non convertible
allow wheels
82k miles
6000LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 04:58 AM   #6
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000LE
my boy is selling a 99 GT 4.8 V8
auto tho
non convertible
allow wheels
82k miles

No thanks man 95 or 88 only and this thread is simply asking for information about either of the two models because I am not going to get one right now but within the next months.

BTW you mean 4.6 don't you?

Old 09-24-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
Oomba
Banned

Why only 88 and 95?
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
Why only 88 and 95?

Want a 5.0 only, 94 was the first year of the body style change. So 95.
88' Because it was the year I was born.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:19 AM   #9
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

i would say 95 cause the inside is very nice. i know someone who is sellin 95 convertable auto with chrome rims for 6000. With 60k miles.
V-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:22 AM   #10
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
i would say 95 cause the inside is very nice. i know someone who is sellin 95 convertable auto with chrome rims for 6000. With 60k miles.

Where at?

Old 09-25-2005, 02:21 PM   #11
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

It all really depends on what you plan to do with the car...if you want something just to look and sound good then go with the '95. If you want something to take to the 'strip on weekends, go with the 88(although I would highly recommend an '89 because it's got the MAF system as opposed to speed density). Finding a nice unabused fox is getting increasingly difficult though so it might just be easier to get the '95...hell, you could always do the pre-93 induction/egr/ECU swap if you want to make it faster.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:25 PM   #12
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
It all really depends on what you plan to do with the car...if you want something just to look and sound good then go with the '95. If you want something to take to the 'strip on weekends, go with the 88(although I would highly recommend an '89 because it's got the MAF system as opposed to speed density). Finding a nice unabused fox is getting increasingly difficult though so it might just be easier to get the '95...hell, you could always do the pre-93 induction/egr/ECU swap if you want to make it faster.

My plans for the car are to eventually make it faster but not right away. I would like it to look good and also be semi newer so thats why I want to the 1995. Although faster to me means pushing that 1995 up to around 300-350 hp with around the same torque WITHOUT a supercharger if possible. I would like to do every other upgrade I can for horsepower then have it dynoed. Can anyone give me a list of upgrades I can do to reach 300-350 hp and how much they would cost each? I would greatly appreciate it

Old 09-25-2005, 07:20 PM   #13
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Where at?
CHICAGO i am not exactly sure about the miles on the car. It can we 60, 68 , or 80, I will check for you if u want. I wanted it for me but i don't wanna pay for v8 gas.

Last edited by V-Tec : 09-25-2005 at 07:22 PM.
V-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:23 PM   #14
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
CHICAGO i am not exactly sure about the miles on the car. It can we 60, 68 , or 80, I will check for you if u want. I wanted it for me but i don't wanna pay for v8 gas.

Yes please check for me.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:40 AM   #15
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Go with AFR 165 heads, GT-40 intake, full-length headers, 1.6 roller rockers, TFS stage 2 cam, 70mm throttle body & EGR spacer, 155lph fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 2.5" off-road H-pipe with decent high-flowing mufflers, a decent aftermarket ignition system, 24lb/hr fuel injectors, cold air intake and at least a 75mm MAF meter. That should put you at about 295-315rwhp depending on the condition of the short block. All of these mods are worthless on an '87-'88 unless you do a MAF conversion and they are worthless on the '94-'95 unless you covert to pre-'94 intake/egr/throttle body/ecu, but then you won't have a fan driver for the factory electric fan.....

Just buy an '89-'93 and make your life sooooo much easier.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote