Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2005, 10:35 PM   #1
spyd3r3d218
CF Newbie

Exclamation 94 ford probe transmission fluid

well i just got this 94 red ford probe someone tell were i can change the transmission fluid by myself i checked every where under the hood and the manual does not help
spyd3r3d218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyd3r3d218
well i just got this 94 red ford probe someone tell were i can change the transmission fluid by myself i checked every where under the hood and the manual does not help
Here we go again. For the umpteenth time this week;

BTW, if you think you're gonna "change the transmission fluid" from under the hood, you might be better off to pay somebody with a clue.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyd3r3d218
Theres a dipstick to check it, but you gota drain the fluid from under the car, and I think that refilling the tranny goes the same way. Pay a shop to drain your trans and then refill it.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:43 AM   #4
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
For a filter change yes but for a complete flush it's best to have a shop do it with the proper machine, drains the converter too. better yet do both so you have a new filter and all new oil.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:22 AM   #5
bigfrye
CF Newbie

$$

Pay $130 or whatever it is to have it done...then if it is screwed up its not your fault rather than when you put the wrong fluid in it and burn it up, its not your fault. Give a little and gain alot rather than give very little and loss alot more.
*whats with the not putting dipsticks transmissions anymore???
bigfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
more and more manufacturers are phazing out the automatic with a dipstick and for why, dont know for sure but heres a couple of possibilities.

1. rules out the possibility of joe shmoe know it all to put motor oil or windshield washer fluid into the tranny
2. they make very good automatic transmission fluids these days that should be capable of lasting the lifetime of the transmission.
3.it makes you optionless when you do have a leak, now you cant just keep driving and topping it up every so often when you have a leak(dumping tranni fluid all over the earth and when it does go dry and you pile up the differential unit on the highway and lock both front tires and skid into a minvan full of school students killing them all you cant sue the car company for making a transmission that you can just keep topping up.
4. dealers trying to corner the market so only they can have the capability and knowledge of how to fix thier own cars

i really dunno
Old 12-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
bigfrye
CF Newbie

Fluid

No ones fluids lasts a life time.
bigfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
carlos
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfrye
No ones fluids lasts a life time.
no but close enough, Ford has the CVT in which fluid is changed every 100,000 mi.
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:15 AM   #9
nsupra27
CF Enthusiast

There are two bolts on the transmission, one to drain it, and another to fill it. The drain plug should be on the bottom, you just take it off let it drain, put it back on and then unbolt the fill plug which is on the front side of the transmission, I believe it's either a 22mm or 23mm, but you just fill it up until it starts leaking out of the hole pretty much, and then put the bolt back on when it stops draining out of the hole. 75W90 is recommended for manaul Probe transmissions.

If you want detailed instructions, your best bet would to buy the Haynes manual, which is only like $16 at like AutoZone.