Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Small Block and Big Blocks

What's the difference between the two, and what is the difference between short block and big blocks or are they just other names for small block and big blocks. I looked through some sites but I think the answer to my question may be better answered on here. Thanks

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
What's the difference between the two, and what is the difference between short block and big blocks or are they just other names for small block and big blocks. I looked through some sites but I think the answer to my question may be better answered on here. Thanks

hang on, there's a thread we discussed this in....

here's long block vs. short block...
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showt...ighlight=block

here's some discussion on small block/big block...
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showt...ighlight=block

enjoy...

ps: the search button is your friend...

Last edited by dodger65 : 12-04-2005 at 08:04 PM.
dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I've already covered this a few times. Of course if you revive an old thread about it it'll be locked, so here's the short version.

Longblock/shortblock. Very basically a longblock is a complete engine assembly, not including the intake manifold, oil pan or any accesories. A shortblock is a longblock without the cylinder heads installed.

Big block/small block. Refers to the architecture of the engine, bore spacing normally being the primary determining factor. For example a small block Ford has 4.380" bore spacing but a big block Ford has 4.630" (FE engines) or 4.900" bore spacing.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I've already covered this a few times. Of course if you revive an old thread about it it'll be locked, so here's the short version.

Longblock/shortblock. Very basically a longblock is a complete engine assembly, not including the intake manifold, oil pan or any accesories. A shortblock is a longblock without the cylinder heads installed.

Big block/small block. Refers to the architecture of the engine, bore spacing normally being the primary determining factor. For example a small block Ford has 4.380" bore spacing but a big block Ford has 4.630" (FE engines) or 4.900" bore spacing.

Thank you, could you possibly link me to the threads, I was also wondering about the advantages and disadvantages such as power, I am currently searching for a thread that may answer my other questions though.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 12-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
I am currently searching for a thread that may answer my other questions though.
Which are?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Thank you, could you possibly link me to the threads, I was also wondering about the advantages and disadvantages such as power, I am currently searching for a thread that may answer my other questions though.
Very generally speaking, more displacement means more power. And again very generally, big blocks are torquier and small blocks rev higher.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

does ford really distinguish any of their motors as a big block, tho? b/c i know they have a shitload of engine series' .... small block, FE, 385, Modified :trails off:..... shit, i used to know them all, too....

Old 12-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
Which are?

Which are even though more displacement means more power at what cost? They are also heavier no doubt and how does that play in? Is one more reliable than the other? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Old 12-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #9
dodger65

Quote:
Which are even though more displacement means more power at what cost? They are also heavier no doubt and how does that play in? Is one more reliable than the other? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

depends on the brand of motor... which brand are you wondering about?

Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 PM   #10
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

I was really just wondering in general, and how the LS7 was considered a small block because of such displacement.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:30 PM   #11
dodger65

Quote:
I was really just wondering in general, and how the LS7 was considered a small block because of such displacement.

mostly b/c they consider it yet another evolutionary change in what is now considered the small block chevy.... and (i think) to inspire a sense of nostalgia in us all... :warm fuzzy:

i don't even know why they call it a small block. there aren't any new (production) chevy big blocks being made, so they don't need to distinguish between them (an "only-block" chevy v8?) and the design is so far removed from the original 265 small block that it's not even pertinent anymore...

Old 12-04-2005, 10:17 PM   #12
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
mostly b/c they consider it yet another evolutionary change in what is now considered the small block chevy.... and (i think) to inspire a sense of nostalgia in us all... :warm fuzzy:

i don't even know why they call it a small block. there aren't any new (production) chevy big blocks being made, so they don't need to distinguish between them (an "only-block" chevy v8?) and the design is so far removed from the original 265 small block that it's not even pertinent anymore...

I see, thanks for the info.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:28 PM   #13
Bino
Written Off

Quote:

You can still purchase a GM big block through the GM Performance Division, so there is still the need to distinguish between them. The LS7 is considered a small block because it has the same size block as... the original small block. Which is how the big block/small block classification came to exist in the first place.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #14
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
You can still purchase a GM big block through the GM Performance Division, so there is still the need to distinguish between them. The LS7 is considered a small block because it has the same size block as... the original small block. Which is how the big block/small block classification came to exist in the first place.

i said production big block, as in still being factory installed in new vehicles.... my point is.... if i say i have an ls7, do you know what i am talking about?exactly... and do you have any technical specs to verify the sameness you speak of? (i'm not trying to be a dick here, i'd just like to see them for my own knowledge)

Old 12-04-2005, 10:38 PM   #15
dodger65

Quote:
i said production big block, as in still being factory installed in new vehicles.... my point is.... if i say i have an ls7, do you know what i am talking about?exactly... and do you have any technical specs to verify the sameness you speak of? (i'm not trying to be a dick here, i'd just like to see them for my own knowledge)

EDIT: looking at a couple of articles here, we're both right in a way

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html

apparently, the only similarity betw/ the ls motors and the original small block is the bore centers....

more ls7 stuff...

http://superchevy.com/technical/engi...ng/0504sc_ls7/