Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2005, 01:53 AM   #46
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
...Have you guys heard about the new kind of engine in development; Its called the "Quasi-turbine engine." Basically it works like a Rotary but instead of a triangular rotor, it has 4 carriages to carry out the cycle with better efficency then the piston driven engine. Read the article, its actually quite interesting, patented in 1996, but still hasn't really shown up in the internal combustion engine radar yet, i wonder if it will ever even get off the ground. The article can be found here .

I've heard of it a couple of months ago, in fact, there was a thread started on it a while back...I think it's a great idea, but too late, and won't be very widely used, due to the hydrogen/electric craze...But I'd like to own one
Old 12-09-2005, 03:12 AM   #47
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Yes the car has issues. Yes the car will blow. Yes the motor can be rebuilt. Yes you can reach 500+hp. Yes you have to tune the car really well. Yes, even after you put a cat back exhaust, tune the car. No you don't have to change the oil that frequently, just add oil.

It doesn't sound like you installed the typical reliability mods, which are essential especially for the touring model. After that, if your car is tuned well, it should be able to last above 100k miles. And even if it blows, you can still rebuild it. Its not like the world is coming to an end. Your girlfriend obviously had no idea what she is doing, and neither do you for that matter. You've already admitted that. Overheating is extremely bad and should be expected if you have a TT setup wtih the REW! The motor will not tolerate extreme heat.

I agree that it will crap out, and it will before most engines normally do. It doesn't mean the engine is inferior. The FD is not your everyday typical car. Its a special car with special needs that the owner needs to understand, in this case, your girlfriend. If built correctly, it can exceed your expectations beyond your wildest dreams.

Like i said before, clueless owners are the ones who bring down rotaries.

AND AGAIN, you have the audacity to insult the way you "Think" we took care of the car (And very wrong, again). That was (Again) fully babied, given everything it always needed plus more, but still failed.

You keep bringing up it's the bad owners who give it a bad name...Well tell THAT to all the enthuists I've talked to, they will tell you quite differently, no matter how much you baby it, it has a still pretty high rate of failure (but they dont mind putting up with the cost). If you have the nerve to tell myself and my girlfriend WE are the "clueless owners" then I guess you can tell the EXPERTS who helped us step by step with the cars issues they are "Clueless about how to take care of rotaries.

You see where your argument completely fails and falls flat on its face? WE weren't the ones to work on the car, THE EXPERTS did. Calling them "clueless" would be quite hilarious, and it is.

Did you not read what ChrisV posted? I think we both can agree he knows what the hell he is doing and he had SEVERAL rotaries fail on him (in fact all his modded ones did, including the stock engine).

We did everything we KNEW about (Which was everything) to help prevent problems with our 13b-REW, we did every reliability mod the experts told us to do, so it wasn't a matter of not doing what we "should" have. After installing a cat-back exhaust you dont have to "Tune" anything. It shouldn't affect DRASTICALLY the engines job. So that's a load of BS; sure if you upgrade the turbos and such, tuning is very much required for reliability, but a cat-back exhaust? Please.

I know I didn't HAVE to change the oil that frequently but I did, simply because like I said, we BABIED that car, we did everything we could and in the opinions of rotary professionals to prevent troubles.

I know it's hard for you to admit it's really just a not well designed or put together enigne, but if SO many people have SO many issues with it, and I know several people who have had their 13b-REW replaced MORE than once before, obviously the engine is the source of the problem. Because it doesnt seem whether or not you know nothing about the engine or can completely rip apart and put back together the REW, it just always seems to fail on the owner, at one point or another. This is based on my experience, ChrisV's experience, several owners I know and many experts o nthe rotary I have talked too.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:25 AM   #48
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Ok, I've gone over THIS before, too.

If all you think the RX7 is is the ENGINE, so that putting a V8 in one means you might as well have started with any of the stock V8 cars out there, you must f*ckin HATE the RX7 as a f*cking CAR.

The RX7 is vastly more than the engine. It's looks, ergonomics, looks, size, looks, weight, looks, build quality, looks, suspension capability, etc. If putting a V8 in one makes it no different/better than a Camaro, then why not just put a rotary in your driveway with NO car around it and see how f*cking far you go!

Maybe we buy an RX7 for a LOT of goddamn f*cking reasons that have nothing to do than jerking off over a low powered f*cking rotary engine just because the ENGINE is unique in the marketplace!!!!!

Goddamn ****ing religious rotards....

And I LIKE rotary engines!!!!

It's been proven time and again that the V8 does NOT hurt the balance of the car, the handling of the car, the ergonomics of the car, the build quality of the car, or any other goddamn thing. It just adds the reliable power that turbo RX7 owners WISH they f*cking had.

Here's a link to a 400+ hp LS1 FD that goes on the corner scales... It weighs a mere 15 lbs more than the stock R1 that follows it onto the scales, but had 60 lbs less weight on the front wheels!!!!! The guy's a novice autocrosser, however...

http://207.127.219.37/video/AX.wmv

Chris, I don't think there's anyway to get to this Rotard. The Rotardism has hit him hard at this point. It's obviously just a Camaro SS to him if you take out the 13b-REW in the FD and swap in a LS1. He doesn't care how many rotaries fail, it's not the engines fault, it's the owners fault. And if you take care of your 500hp rotary, it will be reliable, this is his thinking.

I think what it's going to take for him is his rotary to crap out, to see our point of view. I honestly do.

You know, I can take all the RX-7 owners who admit it's the engine that's the source of MOST of the problems, and if they want to put the money into it, then I dont care, their money. It's the ones like himself who bother me, always blaming it on SOMETHING else but god forbid the rotary engine itself. It's almost like the poor who blame everyone else for how they GOT poor, instead of getting to the core problem; such as it was probably their own fault.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #49
Garage-Elite
CF Newbie

your girlfriend should have never bought this car and you as a car enthusiast should have advised not to get an FD because they're known to be very sensitive. Yes they're ****ing sensitive...because its almost a factory race engine..so it needs to be tuned precisely to almost every mod you make including an intake and exhaust. I don't care about what a few ''professionals'' tell you but rotaries need to be tuned for everything you do...or atleast a chip to correct the fuel. As for power and drag times...you people are idiots. the FD and 2rotar engine was not made for drag times...road/circuit racing. The RE-Amemiya gt300 car has been the same since the 90's...a 3rotor FD which always places very high; this says A LOT. I have owned/drove many cars and other than a full blown tube frame built in a wind tunnel race car my favorite for road racing is a FD and have tuned and made many one off parts for them. I am not some rotard I just know a racing engine needs good tuning and good knowledge and I like the powerband and high revs of a rotary. If you want to go down a straight in a couple of seconds then fine put in a V8...I don't care; but if you want to buy an fd, mod it a little, keep on twin turbos, and not tune it then bitch and moan when it blows well you're stupid. don't trust what a few people tell you...DO RESEARCH!
Garage-Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #50
MgsJester
CF Newbie

Do you realize how old this is?
MgsJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:23 AM   #51
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgsJester
Do you realize how old this is?
obviously not
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote