Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2004, 04:03 AM   #1
jsmoov24
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 14
2005 Jaguar Stype or 2005 Mercedes E500??

hello all, i need advice on my next car. by the end of this year, early next year i'm looking to get a new car, either a 2005 Jaguar Stype or the Mercedes E500. which do you think is a better car?? there are slightly changing the Stype for 2005, the bumpers, hood and rear will look different tehn the current model and I have always loved that design. however i test drove a E500 and that is a nice car as well, can't decide. although i can get a full equipped Stype for about $10k less then the Benz... help??.....
jsmoov24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:08 AM   #2
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
well, what do you need this car for? what will its use be? how much are you realistically willing to spend?

inquiring minds want to know.
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:14 AM   #3
jsmoov24
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 14
well this will be purely a pleasure riding car for the weekends. i currently have a 1995 Plymouth Acclaim that I use to go back and forth to work with plus to drive in the snow and rain and I have a 2001 Infiniti I30 that I will be trading in for a new car. i really don't care for the new BMW 5 series design and from what I see of the new re-designed Lexus GS series its ok but I wouldn't buy one which leaves me with either the Stype or the E500. what do you think???
jsmoov24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:26 AM   #4
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmoov24
well this will be purely a pleasure riding car for the weekends. i currently have a 1995 Plymouth Acclaim that I use to go back and forth to work with plus to drive in the snow and rain and I have a 2001 Infiniti I30 that I will be trading in for a new car. i really don't care for the new BMW 5 series design and from what I see of the new re-designed Lexus GS series its ok but I wouldn't buy one which leaves me with either the Stype or the E500. what do you think???

i think you should sell the Acclaim instead of the I30. then get the E Class..its newer and is more reliable than the Jag.
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:39 PM   #5
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast
 
Car Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 199
I recomend the Benz. I do not like what Ford did with Jaguar. In my option if you want a nice Jag you have to shell out 80 or more grand to get a XJ. Plus with the E500 you are going to get a lot more BHP.

S Type
3.0L 235 hp V6
4.2L 294 hp V8
4.2L 390 hp V8

E Class
3.2L 221 hp V6
5.0L 302 hp V8
5.4L 469 hp V8

I would go with the Benz
__________________
RT/10
GTS
GTS-R
SRT-10
Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
You can't go wrong with either car. The Benz is not as solid as past Mercedes, but it's still a great car. The Jag is worlds above older Jags in reliability, while retaining all the style of Jags of old. While Car Guy doesn't like what Ford did with Jaguar, his criterion is typical teenager: hp.

As the owner of a couple older pre-Ford Jaguars, I LOVE the reliability of the new ones married with traditional Jaguar class. If it were my money, the Jag would be my choice.

In the end, you're the one that has to live with it and look at it in your driveway. Pick which one makes you smile more. We can't tell you which that will be.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:13 PM   #7
archangle
CF Enthusiast
 
archangle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ocala florida
Posts: 103
pick the jaguar s type
archangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:52 PM   #8
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangle
pick the jaguar s type

how about some back up as to why you say this garbage?
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 03:51 AM   #9
jsmoov24
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 14
thanks for the feedback everyone, its greatly appreciated. now i'm really confused, i was just reading through some MB forums and a few people have complained about the car, a couple of electrical issues and other little things like that. another thing is i read that you can negotiate about $2k below invoice for the benz and only $1K above invoice for the Jag but thats in Cslifornia, not sure if that would apply where I am in New Jersey.. additional advice would definitely be appreciated...
jsmoov24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:42 PM   #10
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast
 
Car Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
You can't go wrong with either car. The Benz is not as solid as past Mercedes, but it's still a great car. The Jag is worlds above older Jags in reliability, while retaining all the style of Jags of old. While Car Guy doesn't like what Ford did with Jaguar, his criterion is typical teenager: hp.

As the owner of a couple older pre-Ford Jaguars, I LOVE the reliability of the new ones married with traditional Jaguar class. If it were my money, the Jag would be my choice.

In the end, you're the one that has to live with it and look at it in your driveway. Pick which one makes you smile more. We can't tell you which that will be.
All I was saying was that I dont like what Ford has done with the Jaguar body. If you still want a Jag that looks like a Jag you would have to shell out a lot more to get a XJ as they are the only new ones that still look like a Jag And my comment to BHP was that you would be getting more BHP for the buck in the Benz. Even the XK 8 does not look all that great to me I would much rather get a SL 55 or something like that. But again this is just my option
__________________
RT/10
GTS
GTS-R
SRT-10
Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:05 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Guy
All I was saying was that I dont like what Ford has done with the Jaguar body. If you still want a Jag that looks like a Jag you would have to shell out a lot more to get a XJ as they are the only new ones that still look like a Jag .

Fair enough. You do know what a Jaguar 3.8 Mark II and 3.8 S type look like, right? You do know that the current S Type looks like a Jag, right? The S Type was designed by Jaguar Stylists who worked for Sir William Lyons, who penned the older Jaguars. yes, the XJ looks very much like an updated version of my Series III XJ6, but the XJ6 was not the only older Jaguar.









__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:15 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Nice Mark II with Minilites.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:20 AM   #13
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast
 
Car Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Fair enough. You do know what a Jaguar 3.8 Mark II and 3.8 S type look like, right? You do know that the current S Type looks like a Jag, right? The S Type was designed by Jaguar Stylists who worked for Sir William Lyons, who penned the older Jaguars. yes, the XJ looks very much like an updated version of my Series III XJ6, but the XJ6 was not the only older Jaguar.









Hmm I stand corrected But in my option I like the old XJ6 style and the new XJR. But if I had to choose from the two I would still get the Benz.
__________________
RT/10
GTS
GTS-R
SRT-10
Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 02:03 AM   #14
jsmoov24
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 14
very nice 3.8 S sedans. jaguar did a great job replicating the older sedan.. hey guys, do you recommend any other cars in this class??
jsmoov24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 02:20 AM   #15
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
the new 5-series from BMW?
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.