Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2005, 05:45 AM   #1
dontmatr
CF Newbie

Guns!

Didn't see any threads about 'em in here, so I thought I'd make one.

Here are mine....

Pistols (by caliber/nationality):

Walther P22 (.22LR/Germany) Rather neat-looking but also rather inaccurate and somewhat jam-prone semi-auto.

Hi-Standard Model H-D Military 6.75" barrel(.22LR/US), made in 1947; bought it last year a christmas present for my dad; although he liked it, he didn't want it (probably due to my mom's stance on firearms), and told me to keep it. It's stayed in my safe since, hasn't even been fired once since I bought it.

Bulgarian Arsenal Makarov (9x18 Makarov/Russia/Bulgaria) Bulgarian-made clone of the standard-issue Soviet-bloc sidearm of from 1951 up until ~2000. Kinda crude in some areas, and recoil is surprisingly snappy for such a small (and small-caliber) pistol with the standard recoil spring and plastic grips, but very sturdy, accurate and reliable. With a stiffer recoil spring and rubber grips, the recoil is considerably milder, and it's very fun to shoot.

CZ 2075 RAMI (9mm Parabellum/Czech Republic) Bought this pistol after I got my concealed carry permit. Very compact yet accurate, very reliable and easy to shoot. Only thing I don't like about it is the fact it flings spent brass onto my forehead quite frequently at the range.

CZ 75 P-01 (9mm Parabellum/Czech Republic) This is my favorite pistol (and the one which began my CZ obsession). IMO it does everything perfectly. The weight, balance and overall size feels just perfect, and the grip feels as if it were tailor-made for my hand. It's also incredibly accurate, the recoil is mild (as it should be), and so far utterly reliable (it's the only one of my semi-autos that has yet to jam on me).
Old 12-06-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Nice collection. I am not sure of the legality of posting them on here, but they are nice. Love the russian one (Because its my homeland )
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Nice collection. I am not sure of the legality of posting them on here, but they are nice. Love the russian one (Because its my homeland )

It's legal to own guns in the US...unlike Canada ...but we get prostitution

Nice collection there...I remember you also had machine guns and a couple more weapons
Old 12-06-2005, 06:13 AM   #4
dontmatr
CF Newbie

continued...

CZ 75B (9mm Parabellum/Czech Republic) Since I had the compact and subcompact versions of the CZ 75, I figured I might as well have buy a full-size CZ 75, and thus I did. Like my other CZs it was a very well designed, accurate and reliable pistol, but unfortunately I don't have it anymore, as I friend of mine managed to talk me out of it in a moment of weakness. Now I have to buy another one....

Glock 22 (.40 Smith & Wesson/Austria) This was the first gun that I owned. While I appreciate it's reliability, large magazine capacity and light weight and the fact that a complete idiot could take it apart and put it back together in his sleep, the snappy recoil of the .40SW round, somewhat blocky grip, mushy trigger, and the acceptable but not exceptional accuracy, it's not exactly my favorite. Yet for some reason it's what I keep in the glovebox of the Mustang.

Springfield Model 1911A1 Mil-Spec Stainless (.45 ACP / US/Brazil) I figured sooner or later I'd want a handgun chambered in .45 Auto, so why not the original design it was meant for? It's not my favorite pistol, but it comes real close. It looks great, it's relatively easy to maintain, very accurate, feels great in the hand and is very fun to shoot. (though truth be told, with all the stories I've heard about .45s I was expecting the gun to fly out of my hand and break several of my bones while doing so; fortunately most of that is BS )

Smith & Wesson Model 686 Plus 7-shot 6" barrel(.357 Magnum/.38 Special /US) So far my only revolver (hopefully not for long). Of all my guns, this one has the nicest trigger of all of them. With the 6" barrel, it is VERY accurate. The single-action pull is very light and only requires the slightest effort to fire. The double-action trigger is considerably heavier, but still very smooth and progressive. It's a bit heavy, but it keeps recoil down to acceptable levels, and full-power .357 Magnum rounds aren't punishing at all (except to the ears, even with hearing protection, and with .38 Special rounds it recoils like a .22 pistol.

Last edited by dontmatr : 12-06-2005 at 06:50 AM.
dontmatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:19 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

So um....do they light cigarettes? lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
dontmatr
CF Newbie

Continued (still)

Rifles:

Charter Arms AR-7 (.22LR/US)

Got this rifle from one of my uncles last year as a Christmas present. Pretty goofy looking, but surprisingly handy. It's fairly accurate, has next to no recoil, has good reliability, and best of all when you're done using it, you just chuck the barrel, reciever and magazine into the stock.

Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-101SB (7.62x39 Soviet/Bulgaria)

Yes, this is pretty much a semi-auto clone of the AK-47 (although considerably better built and finished than most of the other AKs I've run across). It's fairly heavy (unlike most AKs today, the reciever is milled instead of stamped), te recoil isn't shoulder-breaking but still somehat harsh, and it's no target rifle, the sights are marginal at best, but it's 100% reliable, reputedly next to impossible to break (haven't run over it with a truck or threw it sand/mud), it will hit what you point at (though it won't make a ragged hole in the center of a target at 50yd like a .22 target rifle) and it's just so damn FUN to shoot!

And my shotgun:

Mossberg 590 9-shot w/Ghostring sights (12 gauge/US)

Bought this solely for the purpose of discouraging/stopping unauthorized persons from entering my property (or expediting their departure from same, by foot or otherwise...)

Last edited by dontmatr : 12-06-2005 at 06:39 AM.
dontmatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Not being funny....but is it normal for an American to have that many fire arms in their possesion? lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 12-06-2005, 06:44 AM   #8
dontmatr
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Not being funny....but is it normal for an American to have that many fire arms in their possesion? lol

I guess it would have to depend on the definition of 'normal', wouldn't it?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:50 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontmatr
I guess it would have to depend on the definition of 'normal', wouldn't it?
My definition of normal is a bloke who isn't a gun weilding maniac

Old 12-06-2005, 07:07 AM   #10
dontmatr
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
My definition of normal is a bloke who isn't a gun weilding maniac

Oh, that's it, I'm gonna put so many holes in you you that......j/k

In all seriousness though, IMO, I doubt a large number of Americans share my 'enthusiasm' for firearms quite to the degree that I do. Most of the people that I know do not own any firearms. Those that I know personally that do, as a rough average, own 2-3 guns for various reasons (hunting/target shooting/defense/law enforcement). The one exception so far is my gun dealer, who personally owns 70+ guns (his personal collection, not what he sells)....
Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 AM   #11
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Are you getting ready for a war or something lol, if you had those in australia you'd probably get locked up.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:16 AM   #12
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
well as a canadian our family had mostly rifles, no handguns, we had about 25-35 rifles in our collection at any given time, My 3 favs being the lever action browing .22 sooo deadly acurate could beat anyone on the range even if they had scopes(taking the top off a .22 shell at 50 yards in one shot)The Colt ar-15, and the folding stock SKS :P
Old 12-07-2005, 02:24 AM   #13
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
yay double post!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:58 AM   #14
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

What in the blue hell are you talking about chris? It is nowhere near illegal for Canadians to own firearms, we just need permits to do so.

Personally I have a non-restricted FAC, going for my restricted FAC next year....ohhh the possibilities, such as the Luger .22 LR pistol my grandpa has tucked away....so mine!

Sorry, no pictures, but my collection includes...

- Browning .22 LR lever action - those do kick some serious ass.
- Winchester .22 LR bolt action, bushnell scope, blackbird/crow/rodent gun
- Winchester .303 bolt action, no scope, sighted for 200 yards, coyote gun.
- Remington 7mm, leupold scope, deer gun
- Remington 20ga, bird gun.
- Remington 12ga, bird and deer.

The shotguns = the twins. Same style, same year, bought within weeks of each other.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:28 AM   #15
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
What in the blue hell are you talking about chris? It is nowhere near illegal for Canadians to own firearms, we just need permits to do so.

Hmm...I always thought they weren't legal in Canada, well more reason for me to get one