Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
Tbill
CF Newbie

2000 Dodge Caravan - Is our van possessed?

We have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. Last year we replaced the rear door sensor. Kept getting the door ajar light - seemed to help even though we'd still need to get out every so often and shut the rear door again.

For quite awhile now you can be driving down the road and all of a sudden the dome lights start flashing on and off, the door chime is dinging away and the locks automatically start going up and down! If varies in length each time. Now it has gotten much worse. It happens all the time now and yesterday at least 25 to 30 times during a short drive. This also happens if you are sitting, like at a stop light. It's really fun at night when it happens - not - I feel really stupid sitting there in traffic.

We have taken it to the dealer in the past - they cannot find anything wrong with it. Nor could they get it to happen.

It seems to stop for a few seconds if you like adjust the window, adjust the heater or whatever. We were wondering if it was the driver door sensor. Opening and shutting it had seemed to help for awhile. Although I have used the mirror/light on the passenger sun visor and the lights came on and stayed on until I closed the mirror/light.

Does anyone know if this could be a sensor, relay switch or do we have an electrical problem through out the van? Please help, it's driving me crazy. Thank you.
Tbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

All the electronics on our 2000 Town and Country (the Caravans big brother) are wacko too. Only it seems you've had LESS problems than us, just wait for the Tranny to fail (ours has, 2 times, 3 different trannies).

I'm beginning to wonder if every newer Caravan/T&C are all Lemons. I have NEVER met a person who hasn't had MAJOR or constant reoccuring issues with theirs.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
jrsixx
CF Newbie

There are 4 sensors (assuming you have 2 sliding doors), one at each door that operate the lights, chime, and light on dash. The easiest way I've found to test these is to start car, sit inside with all doors closed. Now push firmly out on each door, without opening it, when the lights and chime come on, that's your bad switch. They're fairly easy to replace yourself assuming basic skills and a screwdriver, good luck.
jrsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
Eman
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbill
We have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. Last year we replaced the rear door sensor. Kept getting the door ajar light - seemed to help even though we'd still need to get out every so often and shut the rear door again.

For quite awhile now you can be driving down the road and all of a sudden the dome lights start flashing on and off, the door chime is dinging away and the locks automatically start going up and down! If varies in length each time. Now it has gotten much worse. It happens all the time now and yesterday at least 25 to 30 times during a short drive. This also happens if you are sitting, like at a stop light. It's really fun at night when it happens - not - I feel really stupid sitting there in traffic.

We have taken it to the dealer in the past - they cannot find anything wrong with it. Nor could they get it to happen.

It seems to stop for a few seconds if you like adjust the window, adjust the heater or whatever. We were wondering if it was the driver door sensor. Opening and shutting it had seemed to help for awhile. Although I have used the mirror/light on the passenger sun visor and the lights came on and stayed on until I closed the mirror/light.

Does anyone know if this could be a sensor, relay switch or do we have an electrical problem through out the van? Please help, it's driving me crazy. Thank you.

Help! I am having the same exact problem W/ same model/make/year

I was also thinking my van was possessed

This has been going on for a while but now, its gotten worse. I've took it to shop after shop, dealer after dealer. And no one can figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsixx
There are 4 sensors (assuming you have 2 sliding doors), one at each door that operate the lights, chime, and light on dash. The easiest way I've found to test these is to start car, sit inside with all doors closed. Now push firmly out on each door, without opening it, when the lights and chime come on, that's your bad switch. They're fairly easy to replace yourself assuming basic skills and a screwdriver, good luck.

My question and help I have is:

Where can I find the sensors if I need them? I haven't tryed checking them yet because I cant do them my self, I'm disabled.

When I do get help, (hopefully tomorrow) will They have to replace the sensor, Or just mess with it?

TIA
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:47 AM   #5
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbill

On a Chrysler, most if not all of these functions are performed by a body control module.

I would be checking the switches and associated grounds and for solid electrical electrical connections (including power and grounds) around the module.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:19 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
On a Chrysler, most if not all of these functions are performed by a body control module.

I would be checking the switches and associated grounds and for solid electrical electrical connections (including power and grounds) around the module.
I doubt he'll be back lol....I spose ya could argue that you actually meant to quote Eman though lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

trying to give eman a hand.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #8
Eman
CF Newbie

Well, I finally got someone to help me figure it out. It turned out being the right sliding door sensor, it wasen't pushing in rite. Thanks to jrsixx post, I read it over and over till I finally understood it. Also thanks to the Administrator for this great forum, I wouldent never figure it out. Thanks guys

Last edited by Eman : 06-14-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote