Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
Inygknok
El del Supra

VW Bug transmissions

i know i should just pm hobo directly for this, but ill make the thread just in case someone else in the future decides to ask something similar.

on the original bugs (from the late 60's and onwards to somewhere in the mid 70's with the superbeatles), which transmissions (if there were any different ones) were strong and sturdy and reliable? any aftermarket ones that bolt on directly without no work at all that are comfortable to use and dont cost a whole lot of cash? somewhere around or a bit above the stocker sounds good. or wat about a refurbished one?

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Hobo should have more current info than I do. I recall the guys using VW Bus transmissions to stand up to the added stresses. You can add a SuperDiff to improve reliability behind high power engines, as well as stronger side plates and welded gears.

A company called TransForm advertises in Hot VWs pretty much unbreakable rebuilt transmissions (their ad says "if you can break it, we'll replace it."). They have different gear ratios and levels of build, like Pro Stret and Sand rail stuff. Most of the ones they sell ranged from $500-800. But you can get silly and get something like the $6k MD4 replacement trans, or the slightly more expensive MD5 5 speed. You can even get a sequential shift version that will mate up to everything from a Bug engine to an LS1, but it's about $12k...

What are you contemplating? That might help the process...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Inygknok
El del Supra

im thinking about the buggy idea i mentioned in the other thread (the smartplug one). i really dont plan on throwing it through the mud like a krazed bus driver, but maybe a little bit of beach fun every now and then. i really dont want a really fast little thing (although it would be fun). something nice and that i know it wont leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere at 2am (which is where im located at when i leave my gf's house).

if i was ever to even take it to a 1/4 track, high 14's would already be asking for too much, but it would be welcome. not really interested in that though. i really want to make a 12A swap into it. i was planning on asking hobo or anyone if anyone has seen a working, decent wankel rotary swapped to diesel somehow (like the smartplug guys claim to have done). but CF kept crashing so i got tired of trying......

so a nice, quick (not too quick), reliable, comfortable (very) buggy sums it up. its rare to see this here in PR, and i would really love to be one of the proud citizens to have such a ride here.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I've seen 12A swaps, using kennedy Engineerred Products adapters. but the rotary weighs so much more than the VW engine, plus you have run a coolant system. I understand you want to run diesel, but the only diesel rotaries I've seen are specifically designed for it in marine applications (and physically much larger)

Even that Smartplug diesel merely runs on diesel fuel, it's not a true compression ignition diesel.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
adamc44
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
i know i should just pm hobo directly for this, but ill make the thread just in case someone else in the future decides to ask something similar.

on the original bugs (from the late 60's and onwards to somewhere in the mid 70's with the superbeatles), which transmissions (if there were any different ones) were strong and sturdy and reliable? any aftermarket ones that bolt on directly without no work at all that are comfortable to use and dont cost a whole lot of cash? somewhere around or a bit above the stocker sounds good. or wat about a refurbished one?

i think i read somewhere that the ones out of the vans had the heavy duty one like a c5 or something cant remember what the actually name it was called. but im not positive...im sure hobo will know

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:27 AM   #6
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

I think that the stock bug transaxle should hold up fine if your not racing it. My friend has a 63 bug with the swing axle transaxle that he beats the crap out of and hasn't had any problems yet. If you wanted to upgrade I would go with the bus transaxle. If you went with a bus swing axle you could run reduction boxes which i think are just cool for running 33 inch tires.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
Inygknok
El del Supra

ok, i just had a nice long reply thanking everyone and stating a few things, but CF made that damn thing it does where it crashes when u have spent such a nice few minutes typing and then just decides to mess with u......

so on a short version. thanks chrisv, i saw a darkish metallic green bug with the 12A and absolutely loved it. right-o on stocker being lighter. any ideas on wat i should properly do to make the stock vw engine have a bit more pep to it if i keep it? would it cost just about the same as doing a 12A swap?

no rally.... not racing it.

on the 12A cooling system, yea i know. gotta cut up a hole where the spare tire goes and somehow run the water lines in a clean manner.... chrisv ffs, you're making not want to do a 12A swap!

33inch tires.... show me a picture so i know exactly wat to imagine and ill tell ya just how big i would actually go on that aspect.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
so on a short version. thanks chrisv, i saw a darkish metallic green bug with the 12A and absolutely loved it. right-o on stocker being lighter. any ideas on wat i should properly do to make the stock vw engine have a bit more pep to it if i keep it? would it cost just about the same as doing a 12A swap?

on the 12A cooling system, yea i know. gotta cut up a hole where the spare tire goes and somehow run the water lines in a clean manner.... chrisv ffs, you're making not want to do a 12A swap!

Normally I'm not against any sort of engine swap, but in this case, there's no real performance or cost gain for al the work involved.

As to making a VW engine peppier, the field is wide open. It's amazing what a small displacement increase, better cam, and induction system can make a VW bug engine. And cheaply!

A typical 1776 with dual carbs and an Engle 110 cam (so common it's boring) will be like having a big block in there in comparison. I had a basic 1776 in my Baja and it simply flew... An 1835 requires a bit more work, but you could build one or a 2110 or 2180 for relatively cheap. I helped a friend build a 2180 powered steel bodied '63 bug on an IRS pan with a standard trans using a Super Diff, welded spiders, HD side plates, 930 CV's, and a mild state of tune. Ran low 13s in the 1/4 mile on street tires, but with tuning could have hit mid 12s. Same engine in a rail would be an 11 second ride or faster.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
33inch tires.... show me a picture so i know exactly wat to imagine and ill tell ya just how big i would actually go on that aspect.

Well hes a pic of my 4Runner with 33x12.50 15's.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:01 AM   #10
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
yup saggin bum syndrome, why would toyota design a vehicle to look like tha, or is it just a coincidence that every 4runner of that era has bagged out rear springs
Old 12-09-2005, 03:33 AM   #11
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
yup saggin bum syndrome, why would toyota design a vehicle to look like tha, or is it just a coincidence that every 4runner of that era has bagged out rear springs

Yeah I got to rebuild the springpack. And every stock 4Runner I've ever seen sags in the rearend.