Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
New PC

Well il be getting a computer for new years. Im thinking a Mac Mini. They are pretty nice and give all of the performance that I can possibly use. Any other recomendations?
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.


Last edited by newyorker : 12-07-2005 at 08:47 PM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Point?
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Point?
Sorry I forgot the main idea. Look now
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Perhaps a iMac G5
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #5
enron fever
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 356
welcome to the dark side! although in all honesty i would wait awhile on macs, as the new intel-based ones (intellimacs) are coming out sometime next year with big promises. so buying the low-end G4-powered mini right now doesn't make much financial sense.
__________________
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by enron fever
welcome to the dark side! although in all honesty i would wait awhile on macs, as the new intel-based ones (intellimacs) are coming out sometime next year with big promises. so buying the low-end G4-powered mini right now doesn't make much financial sense.
Might get the iMac G5...the one thats all in one. Everything is built into the screen, all the guts are behind it. The 17in widescreen with 1.9GHz G5 procesor, 512 ra, Radeon 8800 video 128MB, and 160GB hdd, loaded with the software, keyboard, and the new mightymouse is $1,299. All it needs is speakers, and my ownership lol.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 AM   #7
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
If you need a mac, then the Imac G5 is pretty good. How do you know if you need a mac? If you are a graphic designer or video editor, then you NEED a mac. But most people who buy them just buy them for looks. For that much money you can get a much much faster PC. But if you like the MAC stability and convience, then i would say go for the Powermac G5 or the Imac G5. I was a graphics designer for a while before, so i would personally prefer the Powermac G5. But for home use, the Imac is more practical. The Mini is definitely a no, its extremely slow, sure its small, but its not very practical.
__________________


--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:24 AM   #8
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
A 17 inch iMac G5 is 1299 USD. For that much money i would rather get a;
AMD 64 3500+ CPU
Asus A8NE S939 Nforce 4 Motherboard
2xKingston Valueram PC3200 DDR400 512mb (total=1gig of ram)
Seagate Barracuda SATA NCQ 8mb 7200.8 250gb Harddrive
Nvidia 6800GT 128mb PCI-E 16x video card
Samsung DVDrw writer 16x8x16x
Antec Sonata II case with 450w PSU
Logitech MX518 gaming mouse
Samsung 19 inch 600:1 12ms 913mv LCD monitor

You can get a keyboard for 10 dollars, or just use your old one. If you want speakers, just spend 70 dollars on a nice logitech set. I'm currently using a Z680 set, but its a little pricy, 505 watts!.

Trust me this setup is ALOT better then the iMac G5, its a lot faster and can handle heavier loads. And all at 100 dollars cheaper then the iMac G5.
__________________


--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--

Last edited by aerith : 12-08-2005 at 12:26 AM.
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
Voda48
CF Lance Fan
 
Voda48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by enron fever
welcome to the dark side! although in all honesty i would wait awhile on macs, as the new intel-based ones (intellimacs) are coming out sometime next year with big promises. so buying the low-end G4-powered mini right now doesn't make much financial sense.
*barf* That ruins the whole point of getting a Mac in the first place. I beilve that by going the route currently planned Mac is in for some very angry customers that appreciated the diff between a Mac and a PC. Personally I donnot believe I would go the Mac route, they aren't right for me, but they are pretty Kick-Arse machines. From someone that sells them though, don't get a Mini.... go G5 or go home
__________________
Here's my Website: Voda's Webpage It is in dire need of updating.
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:48 AM   #10
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
I would buy a Mac for Video Compilation and Sound Engineering. That's it. If you don't plan on being heavily involved in that, stay PC. Grab a nice AMD rig, you'll find it a lot more versatile.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:02 AM   #11
enron fever
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
*barf* That ruins the whole point of getting a Mac in the first place. I beilve that by going the route currently planned Mac is in for some very angry customers that appreciated the diff between a Mac and a PC. Personally I donnot believe I would go the Mac route, they aren't right for me, but they are pretty Kick-Arse machines. From someone that sells them though, don't get a Mini.... go G5 or go home
ugh...listen, i've been using macs since i was born. my first computer was an Apple II GS, with the 2nd being an SE/30. i know them better than i know my house, and i'm certified in both laptop and desktop hardware repair.

when i first heard about apple switching to intel i was very pissed, but the thing of it is that the computer market is no longer a homebrew club where you can be picky about your product. if apple is to survive as anything more than a solely music-based company (ipod, itunes, etc), then making the switch to intel was a very necessary thing, unfortunately.

besides, the point of a mac isn't so much the hardware even now. the only difference between a PC and a Mac really is the CPU. they both use PCI, IDE, SATA, AGP, PCI-E, etc etc. the real point of the mac is the OS, namely OSX. classic os was very good for 1984 (and still better than windows as an every day os, imho), but it was far outdated in terms of new features by windows (multithreading, multitasking, automatic VM management, the list goes on). top that with a series of very bad CEO's, and apple's future was bleak. even after Job's came back and introduced the imac and all of it's successors, apple today is still nothing compared to apple of 10-15 years ago. the only way the company can stay alive is to make a massive shift in either it's software or it's hardware platform, and since windows is a POS, they chose to use different hardware.

as of now, i'm in full support of it. jobs makes mistakes, but you'd be certifiable to bet against him in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
Trust me this setup is ALOT better then the iMac G5, its a lot faster and can handle heavier loads. And all at 100 dollars cheaper then the iMac G5.
um...no. trust me, it's not. in GAMES, yes, that setup would be faster. for anything else the imac would be just as if not faster than that setup. trust ME, as somebody who builds those types of PC's and uses G5's (both imac and towers) on a daily basis.

Case in point: i have two main desktops at my house a mac and a PC:

Mac: PowerMac G4 "Digital Audio"
733MHz PPC-7450
256k L2 733MHz, 1MB L3 at 1/5 CPU speed
1.25GB PC-133 RAM
200 and 160GB western digital 7200rpm 8mb cache ata/100 drives attached to a Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 PCI card, each with it's own dedicated bus
nVidia GeForce 4 ti 4600 128mb agp4x
M-Audio Revolution 7.1
*other random stuff*

PC: Big-Ass Antec server case, 400watt Smart Antec PSU(five 80mm fans in this bad boy)
2.4GHz P4 "Northwood" 512k L2, 533Mhz bus
Foxconn 865A01 motherboard
512mb PC-3200
120gb Maxtor 7200rpm 8mb cache ata/133 on on-board ata/100 bus
Radeon 7000 64mb agp4x

granted, the mac has over twice as much ram, but it's the ridiculously slow sd-ram standard, whereas the pc has 400mhz DDR.

that being said, i can have many more applications open and running well on the mac than i can the PC. like right now on the mac, i've got itunes, safari, adium, entourage, mactracker, adock, and it's acting as my intranet server to other computers in the house, and i'm having no real problems in terms of bogging down.

the PC can do all of these things as well, but switching between the different apps does take longer than it does on a mac, and since it's just win2k instead of XP (i lurv sn-less 2k), it's nowhere NEAR as pretty, lol.

in all reality, however, both machines serve their purpose and get the job done. the final decision should NOT be based on hardware, but on the OS. choose which OS you prefer to use and then build a hardware scheme around the one you like more. just looking at pure numbers is for idiots.

thats my
__________________

Last edited by enron fever : 12-08-2005 at 02:18 AM.
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:37 AM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
For a gaming computer, I'd get a PC, and actually for anything, but I've never really wanted a Mac for some reason...I've heard lots of people say that they were for media, but I don't see any difference in computers...At school we've been using them for media arts, and basically every program that we have used, I have used a very similar one on a PC...it also pisses me off without the right mouse button, and it's harder to use Photoshop because of that missing button...Just from my exepriences...

IMO Aerith's idea sounds pretty damn nice
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:59 AM   #13
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by enron fever
ugh...listen, i've been using macs since i was born. my first computer was an Apple II GS, with the 2nd being an SE/30. i know them better than i know my house, and i'm certified in both laptop and desktop hardware repair.

when i first heard about apple switching to intel i was very pissed, but the thing of it is that the computer market is no longer a homebrew club where you can be picky about your product. if apple is to survive as anything more than a solely music-based company (ipod, itunes, etc), then making the switch to intel was a very necessary thing, unfortunately.

besides, the point of a mac isn't so much the hardware even now. the only difference between a PC and a Mac really is the CPU. they both use PCI, IDE, SATA, AGP, PCI-E, etc etc. the real point of the mac is the OS, namely OSX. classic os was very good for 1984 (and still better than windows as an every day os, imho), but it was far outdated in terms of new features by windows (multithreading, multitasking, automatic VM management, the list goes on). top that with a series of very bad CEO's, and apple's future was bleak. even after Job's came back and introduced the imac and all of it's successors, apple today is still nothing compared to apple of 10-15 years ago. the only way the company can stay alive is to make a massive shift in either it's software or it's hardware platform, and since windows is a POS, they chose to use different hardware.

as of now, i'm in full support of it. jobs makes mistakes, but you'd be certifiable to bet against him in the long run.


um...no. trust me, it's not. in GAMES, yes, that setup would be faster. for anything else the imac would be just as if not faster than that setup. trust ME, as somebody who builds those types of PC's and uses G5's (both imac and towers) on a daily basis.

Case in point: i have two main desktops at my house a mac and a PC:

Mac: PowerMac G4 "Digital Audio"
733MHz PPC-7450
256k L2 733MHz, 1MB L3 at 1/5 CPU speed
1.25GB PC-133 RAM
200 and 160GB western digital 7200rpm 8mb cache ata/100 drives attached to a Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 PCI card, each with it's own dedicated bus
nVidia GeForce 4 ti 4600 128mb agp4x
M-Audio Revolution 7.1
*other random stuff*

PC: Big-Ass Antec server case, 400watt Smart Antec PSU(five 80mm fans in this bad boy)
2.4GHz P4 "Northwood" 512k L2, 533Mhz bus
Foxconn 865A01 motherboard
512mb PC-3200
120gb Maxtor 7200rpm 8mb cache ata/133 on on-board ata/100 bus
Radeon 7000 64mb agp4x

granted, the mac has over twice as much ram, but it's the ridiculously slow sd-ram standard, whereas the pc has 400mhz DDR.

that being said, i can have many more applications open and running well on the mac than i can the PC. like right now on the mac, i've got itunes, safari, adium, entourage, mactracker, adock, and it's acting as my intranet server to other computers in the house, and i'm having no real problems in terms of bogging down.

the PC can do all of these things as well, but switching between the different apps does take longer than it does on a mac, and since it's just win2k instead of XP (i lurv sn-less 2k), it's nowhere NEAR as pretty, lol.

in all reality, however, both machines serve their purpose and get the job done. the final decision should NOT be based on hardware, but on the OS. choose which OS you prefer to use and then build a hardware scheme around the one you like more. just looking at pure numbers is for idiots.

thats my

Granted that the mac multitasks a lot better. But with one cpu intensive program, im am 100% sure the PC will run faster. I use a Dual core powerpc G5 at work, and a AMD X2 at home. Using the Jaguar OS vs the Windows XP Pro OS, both running Photoshop CS with no other programs on; my PC runs a lot faster; faster like using filter effects or other cpu intensive tasks. Its kind of unfair to compare Tiger with XP pro, we'll have to wait till Vista. I admit MAC OS is a lot more stable, but hardware wise; the PC's have the advantange.
__________________


--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 AM   #14
enron fever
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
Granted that the mac multitasks a lot better. But with one cpu intensive program, im am 100% sure the PC will run faster. I use a Dual core powerpc G5 at work, and a AMD X2 at home. Using the Jaguar OS vs the Windows XP Pro OS, both running Photoshop CS with no other programs on; my PC runs a lot faster; faster like using filter effects or other cpu intensive tasks. Its kind of unfair to compare Tiger with XP pro, we'll have to wait till Vista. I admit MAC OS is a lot more stable, but hardware wise; the PC's have the advantange.
well there's your problem. Jaguar is OLD. the subsequent OSX releases, Panther and Tiger brought tons of speed, stability, and overall usability enhancements. i wouldn't touch jaguar with a 10-foot stick these days, lol. and by the time Vista does finally come out, Leopard will either be not far off or out already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
For a gaming computer, I'd get a PC, and actually for anything, but I've never really wanted a Mac for some reason...I've heard lots of people say that they were for media, but I don't see any difference in computers...At school we've been using them for media arts, and basically every program that we have used, I have used a very similar one on a PC...it also pisses me off without the right mouse button, and it's harder to use Photoshop because of that missing button...Just from my exepriences...

IMO Aerith's idea sounds pretty damn nice
that's why 2-button USB mice are $5. any USB mouse will work with osx, even wireless ones. plug'n play baby! of course for any other functionality besides the two buttons and the scroll wheel you will need software of some sort. same story as windows.
__________________

Last edited by enron fever : 12-08-2005 at 04:50 AM.
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:56 AM   #15
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
I've used all the OSes from Jaguar up to Tiger, all the little variants and everything. I think that Mac's are great for multitasking but when it comes to one cpu intensive task, it struggles a bit compared to PC's. You have to admit that PC's have superior hardware; ie the video cards, and the CPU's. I'm pretty sure the Dual core im running in the G5 is a bit slower then my X2 4600+. Plus, the LCD's in the iMac and the Cinema Display are slow, although they have virtually no dead pixels, their response time is 25ms compared to Samsung's offerings of 8ms.
__________________


--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.