Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
cccpdraco
CF Newbie

Manual Driving Question

I have this question for manual drivers. Now I just started learning on how to drive manual car since I bought a 2002 civic sir. My question is when ever you stop at a traffic light and its red. Now at this point my foot is on the clutch and its in 1st gear. Now when it turns green i release and my car goes but its really slow and I find that behind me the cars are honking now i switch to second gear and 3rd and so on as fast as i can after i started but its still slow in the begining. Is there a way for the car to accelerate quicker from a stop sign/red light?? cuz i find startin at first then swithcin quickly to second a lil to slow.
cccpdraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
Inygknok
El del Supra

let the rpms reach a higher level, and press the gas a bit harder.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
let the rpms reach a higher level, and press the gas a bit harder.

Exactly. If you have a Civic SIR, then you have a guage in front of you called a tachometer. Tells how high the engine is revving. before you let the clutch out, bring that needle up a bit farther (like to say, 2000-2500 rpm, let the clutch out gently and press the gas harder. Don't shift to second until the needle reaches at least 4500 rpm for normal day to day driving, and 6000-or so for more spirited driving.

The reason you're accellerating slowly is that your engine doesn't make much power at low rpms, and by shifting as soon as you get moving, you're making the engine try to move 2500-3000 lbs with only a few horsepower and a few lb ft of torque. And each gear that you cahnge to makes teh car work harder. Those gears are to be USED at higher speeds, but don't make the car GO those higher speeds.

This may seem basic to those of us that have driven a while (or payed atttention when others were driving), but it's not intuitive to those that have started out in automatics or are just starting out.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
...Don't shift to second until the needle reaches at least 4500 rpm for normal day to day driving, and 6000-or so for more spirited driving.
4500? I don't know anything about the Civic SIR, but that sounds high to me for daily driving in any car.

EDIT-Another thing, try not to watch the tachometer too much, eventually you'll just want to listen, keep your eyes on the road as much as possible.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
4500? I don't know anything about the Civic SIR, but that sounds high to me for daily driving in any car.

From first to second, that car will have the gear ratio for it. 4500 is only partway to the 7000 rpm redline, and only a thousand rpm into the meat of the powerband. It'll drop to about 2500-3000 rpm going into second so it won't start to lug. For him, it'll be a good starting point to vary up or down as the situation requires.

Quote:
EDIT-Another thing, try not to watch the tachometer too much, eventually you'll just want to listen, keep your eyes on the road as much as possible.

When he's still learning, he needs to watch it so he can understand what the engine sounds like at each rpm. Luckily on that car he'll be able to hear the engine, but some cars you'd be hard pressed to hear it over even a low volume radio until it gets to upper rpms. But yes, after doing it for a while he won't need to see the tach at all.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
elchango36
WWJCD

Doesn't the SiR have a 8500 redline??? I also thought Honda dropped the SiR for 2001.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #7
speeder
CF Enthusiast

Maybe your pressing too much of the clutch and less of the accelerator. Anyway you shouldn't rev your engine too much or to high rpm especially before the engine warms up cuz it's the same as running the engine without engine oil, you'd be spoiling it. Drive safe and drive well.

"All units be advised, be on the look out for a black sports car, last seen going airbourne near the highway overpass. The SPEEDER is travelling at well over the speed limit, pursue with caution"

Last edited by speeder : 12-09-2005 at 05:07 PM.
speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Doesn't the SiR have a 8500 redline??? I also thought Honda dropped the SiR for 2001.
The Tacho probably reads to that level, but the needle probably wont rise to it

As for the initial question, you have to ask why other road users are sounding their horn at him?.....chances are it's just their impatients and if you are clearly marked up as a lerner driver, they should know better. Dont worry though, once you're more used to it, you'll be beeping at them lol. Good Luck

btw, I presume you're learning from scratch, in a Manual?....as that would be the case if you wanted to change from an auto to a manual license in the UK

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #9
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
The Tacho probably reads to that level, but the needle probably wont rise to it

As for the initial question, you have to ask why other road users are sounding their horn at him?.....chances are it's just their impatients and if you are clearly marked up as a lerner driver, they should know better. Dont worry though, once you're more used to it, you'll be beeping at them lol. Good Luck

btw, I presume you're learning from scratch, in a Manual?....as that would be the case if you wanted to change from an auto to a manual license in the UK
I don't know where he lives, but here in the states(at least in SC), there's no indication to others if the driver has been driving for years or days.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
I don't know where he lives, but here in the states(at least in SC), there's no indication to others if the driver has been driving for years or days.

Correct. In teh US there is usually no ******d markings for a new driver. In fact, the only "student driver" signs are on actual driving instruction cars. And, there are no separate licenses for automatics and manuals.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #11
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

In Canada, there is no difference between driving a manual or automatic. Here in British Columbia; Learners (L) have a magnetic sign that you have to stick on the back of your car. Learners are those who have passed the written test and have 12 months to learn how to drive before they can take the road test. Learners cannot drive without someone older then 25 years old and has a regular license in the passenger seat. After you pass the road test, you get the Novice (N) license, you still have a sign, but you can drive on your own; you stay at Novice for two years before you can take another road test to get the regular license (Class 5).

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #12
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

just a quick question, my friend let me drive his stick (not in a gay kind of way) and he taught me the fundamentals basically. I was just wondering when your in neutral and you shift to first, when your letting your foot off the clutch if you just take it off completely, instead of matching the clutch and accelerator, and just use the accelerator what would happen to the car? Would it stall? and if it does stall, does it do it in higher gears also?
Old 12-10-2005, 03:23 AM   #13
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
just a quick question, my friend let me drive his stick (not in a gay kind of way) and he taught me the fundamentals basically. I was just wondering when your in neutral and you shift to first, when your letting your foot off the clutch if you just take it off completely, instead of matching the clutch and accelerator, and just use the accelerator what would happen to the car? Would it stall? and if it does stall, does it do it in higher gears also?

You mean letting out the clutch and using a lot of gas (stepping on the pedal)?

It probably wouldn't stall, but lurch foward and take off.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:58 AM   #14
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13

Depends on your car and your skill. If you know the "catch point" by heart, like you can anticipate the point at where your clutch catches the engine, then it will be fine. But if you screw up on more sensitive cars; you will stall, believe me. I've driven a lot of manual cars. My TL has one of the most sensitive clutches, if I just let go of the clutch and gased hard missing the "catch point", it will stall.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #15
Masuk
CF Newbie

Wait a minute. Say you have a manual car and your wife has an auto. Is it then illegal for your wife to drive your manuel car because she drives the auto? I am from the U.S as you can tell, I never heard that before. Whats the point?
Masuk is offline   Reply With Quote