FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Used RSX or New Tiburon
used rsx (02, 03, or 04 depending on what i find) 11 68.75%
new 05' tiburon 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2005, 05:25 AM   #1
Lotus
CF Newbie

if i needed to make a choice right now it would be either...

either a 45k mile black type s rsx or a brand new 05' tiburon, color and options of my choice. elaboration below:

I have been looking to buy a type s rsx for a long long time and occasionally some come up for sale around here only im just being picky. I want it in this color and blabla. Anyway i had myself on a before christmas deadline and now, today i visit a 45k mile 02' type s rsx. The guy origionally said 16.9 (was at a dealership btw) and after walking out on him when he demanded a 100$ down payment if i would come and see the car tomorrow (which pissed me + my father off), the manager comes running out to us with "sir, sir, would you do 15.8?". Now this seemed like a good deal only after we asked warranty, they said 3 months or 3000 miles. Which is crap. Anyway long story short they said they would work on the warranty and we would come back tomorrow, no down payment. The car looked okay, black, was just detailed. The body kit looked skeptical, it might not have been acura oem. No spoiler. Rear window tints only.

Here's where my situation gets complicated. My father mentioned the Hyundai Tiburon. Now i must say i think this is a good looking car. But the reputation for the Tiburon around here is just, awful. Its known as a ricers car and bla bla bla. It still is a fantastic looking car that performs well so i hear. So after going to look at one in a showroom, we decide why not get a price. Turns out the dealership was one which i guess was assigned a job of getting rid of the 05's. So we were offered a brand new 05 Tiburon for 16.5$ or something along those lines. (GT Model, manual trans which i prefer anyway). So, brand new tiburon or 45k mile rsx? Not that i need to buy that particular rsx but. Thats my dilemma !

If i were to buy that rsx anyhow, id be putting a spoiler on it later im sure, not to mention the window tints is extra money. Hyundai also has an excellent warranty. So as of now im not making a decision, because i dont have to. But if i needed to, it would be a tough choice. What would you say?

Edit: poll added

Last edited by Lotus : 12-12-2005 at 02:14 AM.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:30 AM   #2
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus
either a 45k mile black type s rsx or a brand new 05' tiburon, color and options of my choice. elaboration below:

I have been looking to buy a type s rsx for a long long time and occasionally some come up for sale around here only im just being picky. I want it in this color and blabla. Anyway i had myself on a before christmas deadline and now, today i visit a 45k mile 02' type s rsx. The guy origionally said 16.9 (was at a dealership btw) and after walking out on him when he demanded a 100$ down payment if i would come and see the car tomorrow (which pissed me + my father off), the manager comes running out to us with "sir, sir, would you do 15.8?". Now this seemed like a good deal only after we asked warranty, they said 3 months or 3000 miles. Which is crap. Anyway long story short they said they would work on the warranty and we would come back tomorrow, no down payment. The car looked okay, black, was just detailed. The body kit looked skeptical, it might not have been acura oem. No spoiler. Rear window tints only.

Here's where my situation gets complicated. My father mentioned the Hyundai Tiburon. Now i must say i think this is a good looking car. But the reputation for the Tiburon around here is just, awful. Its known as a ricers car and bla bla bla. It still is a fantastic looking car that performs well so i hear. So after going to look at one in a showroom, we decide why not get a price. Turns out the dealership was one which i guess was assigned a job of getting rid of the 05's. So we were offered a brand new 05 Tiburon for 16.5$ or something along those lines. (GT Model, manual trans which i prefer anyway). So, brand new tiburon or 45k mile rsx? Not that i need to buy that particular rsx but. Thats my dilemma !

If i were to buy that rsx anyhow, id be putting a spoiler on it later im sure, not to mention the window tints is extra money. Hyundai also has an excellent warranty. So as of now im not making a decision, because i dont have to. But if i needed to, it would be a tough choice. What would you say?

Your not making a decision because you don't know idf you will be able to afford either of the cars or? My advice, go for the tiburon, brand new Gt model manual trans which you prefer? I'd DEFNITELY go with that, my grandmother has a hyundai and so does my cousin, almost the exact same car you want to get, and no problems thus far. In my eyes Hyundais's are just fine, and if you have to choose between a BRAND NEW car and one with 45k miles even though that isn't that many, I would go with a Brand New car. Buying a used car is always risky because you do not know what has been done to it. With a brand new car well its just brand new.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:33 AM   #3
Lotus
CF Newbie

the money isnt really a problem. Im not making a decision because i figure i can always wait a little longer if im dealing with a big decision like a car purchase.

thnx for input btw.

Last edited by Lotus : 12-10-2005 at 05:45 AM. Reason: run on sentences and spelling errors and bad english grades
Old 12-10-2005, 06:13 AM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

I'd easily pick the RSX-S, faster, better handling, not as much of a porker, bigger o nthe inside. IT has everything going for it except that it's not new and the Tiburon is.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I'd take the RSX-S...beautiful car IMO, and has more power...but the Tiburon isn't too bad of a car either..
Old 12-10-2005, 07:14 AM   #6
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Comon, Acura or Hyndai? 45k doesn't sound like enough to give the advantage to a Hyndai to me.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:41 AM   #7
Lotus
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Comon, Acura or Hyndai? 45k doesn't sound like enough to give the advantage to a Hyndai to me.

thats the way i've really been looking at it, so far. Just been getting opinions of others. Thanks for all the replies by the way. I'll be going to see the rsx again tomorrow and hopefully get a better offer on the warranty. I'll be sure to update you guys on what goes down. Its a quarter to 2AM now anyhow , so i should probably get some sleep if i plan to see it anytime during the day.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #8
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Acura, no question. Hyundai makes pretty decent cars as I understand, but the RSX is in a whole different league than the Tiburon. As far as the new/used thing goes, look into the future. Five years from now, would you rather have a 5 year old Hyundai or an 8 year old Acura? I sure as hell know I'd want the Acura. I bought a GM extended warranty that you can buy on used cars, as long as they aren't that old. Acura probably has something similiar, and since the dealer came chasing you down before you left, that tells me that he wants to move the car. With some haggling you could probably get him to through in a 5yr/50K warranty for free, if Acura does that sorta thing.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #9
Lotus
CF Newbie

he called FOUR times today asking if we would go see the car. I plan to after lunch but i may wait till my brother comes home to make a decision. He knows alot about acura // hondas so he could for certain tell me if its the acura oem body kit and etc. Theyre gonna want me to buy it today for sure. My father can bargin like hell though (or complain, whichever you want to call it). I wouldnt be surprised if we can get a warranty for over a year aswell the price down to 15.5k or even lower. After all, it does have 45k miles on it. I also need to add that the advertisement says its an 04 rsx. Which i dont believe, i think its 02 but i gotta ask and check the vin. I dunno who puts 45k miles on a car in 1 year.

edit: carfax says it is actually an 04'. So, it could still be under factory warranty then, atleast till it hits 50k miles.

Last edited by Lotus : 12-10-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:24 PM   #10
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

A one year old car at a dealership with anything 30K miles usually means it was a program car.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:59 PM   #11
Lotus
CF Newbie

ive lost intrest in that particular rsx for whatever reason im not sure. Its really badly scratched up which is to be expected from a used black car. But it looked pretty bad. I guess i just really want a blue rsx :/ Still looking, i'll keep updating.

edit: after alot of thinking, i really just like black leather interior opposed to the light. Black interior only comes on the black and blue models of the car. Except for in 06 with the blaze orange metallic and magnesium metallic. I'd kill for either of those, too bad i cant afford them :P. Anyway as of right now i have two options as far as rsx's go. Black or desert silver. I'll throw some pics down later if I can. The desert silver comes with the lighter interior (almost gray if memory serves) which i dont like too much, though i may think differently come summer.

Last edited by Lotus : 12-10-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:37 AM   #12
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Go for the black on black. The grey interiors in all Acura's are horrible. I had a choice between black vs grey interior, the grey felt like a camry. Unless its the dark brownish grey interior, the TL's grey interior is plain grey.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:33 AM   #13
Lotus
CF Newbie

yeah it is grey. idk what i was thinking when i said i lost intrest in that particular rsx. Its just that when i looked at it, it didnt really give me that "wow, i want this car" feeling that you usually get. It was just more of an "eh, its a car, little dinged up, not terrible, lots of miles but okay price". Idk. There's another close by dealer sold 24k mile black rsx. Listed price is 18 grand which isnt terrible. If i can get it down a little lower it could then be a good deal. Its really just a stock S though. Totally standard. No body kit, no spoiler, no window tints. All stuff i'll want to put on later which is going to cost more money. But hey if its low price low miles good condition...more updates later. (theyre closed tomorrow im sure but i can probably check it out anyway, i doubt its inside on the showroom floor)

edit: to everyone with black cars...does it get frustrating? With scratches or even from the salt on the roads during the winter that gets all around the bottom of your car? Is it easy to clean off the salt? buff out the scratches?

edit #2: oops, i had forgotten. I actually already visited that 24k mile black rsx a few weeks back. But the guy there was real strange. Price in the window was 21k and when we showed him the article for 18k he said okay but then certification price is another $1500 and detailing is $1000 and blablabla. Car looked like crap anyway, seemed like it had oil stains all over it. So still looking i guess.

Thanks.

Last edited by Lotus : 12-11-2005 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:56 AM   #14
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus
...edit: to everyone with black cars...does it get frustrating? With scratches or even from the salt on the roads during the winter that gets all around the bottom of your car? Is it easy to clean off the salt? buff out the scratches? Thanks.

I'd think that scratches/dings/dirt would be harder to see on a darker car...Just like clothes..
Old 12-11-2005, 05:51 AM   #15
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I'd think that scratches/dings/dirt would be harder to see on a darker car...Just like clothes..
I think I've heard that that kinda stuff is more obvious and noticable on black (dark) cars... plus it also attracts the heat in the summer (same with the black/dark interior (leather).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote