Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2005, 03:55 AM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

My 1988 Mustang GT 5.0

Well as I'm sure none of you knwo right now I just bought a 1988 Mustang GT Convertible. Here is a link to the site it is on on autotrader . It also has a $300 Griffin racing radiator along with some other things. I bought it for $2800. It has a few imperfections and a few things need fixing but thats what i got you guys for! To help me out finding out wat needs done and the parts.

First off it passes inspection and is fine in that department, the seats are leather and cracked and worn out and currently have covers over the seats, so I'd like to get some decent seats that aren't TOO much. BUT I was also wondering about getting a 3, 4, or 5 point racing harness as well. I know this is a decent amount of money but I want to limit the spending on the harness and 2 seats to a maximum of about 500$, now it is an '88 and I have heard the racing harness would have to be installed on it and I was wondering with my budget if that was feasibly for any point racing harnesses. If not I will just go with some regular nice comfotable racing seats.

The next thing I plan on doing is getting a full cat-back exhaust with 3'' pipes, I will also have to have a place cut out the holes for the exhaust because it has an exhaust that bends down and no holes. I am willing to spend the money I have to to get a decent quality sound and exhaust system so any suggestions are welcome.

The last thing for now that I will be planning on doing soon is a new bigger intake system, partly because of the bigger exhaust and help the car breathe better. I am also willing to spend a decent amount of money on this to get a good, quality intake system.

Other than that it just has a cheap cd player which is prolly about as far as sound will go because I'm not worried about that and eventually some nice wheels.

The car has new tires and many new parts including that radiator I mentioned and after investing some money in these 3 things I will be satisfied for awhile. The oil currently in it is a mix of normal and synthetic, and it has some appec wires I believe. Any help on any of these things are very appreciated!

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:30 AM   #2
95civicdima
CF Addict

CONGRATS MAN! it's a great looking car and you'll definetly make it 10x better than it is right now

<just a cool smiley
Old 12-11-2005, 06:22 AM   #3
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Nice car, never minded the 5.0L Mustangs. I think your best bet for the racing seats/harness' would be ebay, not sure if you really care about well known (expensive) brands, but you can get a cheap set of seats on there. How much you looking to spend in total for all the things you want for the car? (approximately).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:26 AM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Dont mean to be rude, but $2800? Is that CDN? That's abnormally high (in USD) for an 88 GT convert in that condition even with only 126k miles. You can pickup early 90's GT verts for about $2000-$2500 in similar condition with the same miles. The asking price of $4500 is plainly absurd though, so at least you got it down to a more real-world figure. But really it's only worth about $2k at the most when it comes down to it. So what gives?

I just ran it through kbb and it says it's worth $1250 PPV.

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 12-11-2005 at 06:30 AM.
thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Dont mean to be rude, but $2800? Is that CDN? That's abnormally high (in USD) for an 88 GT convert in that condition even with only 126k miles. You can pickup early 90's GT verts for about $2000-$2500 in similar condition with the same miles. The asking price of $4500 is plainly absurd though, so at least you got it down to a more real-world figure. But really it's only worth about $2k at the most when it comes down to it. So what gives?

I just ran it through kbb and it says it's worth $1250 PPV.

I did a search around my area, that is a good price for it. KBB is NOT accurate within over 10 years ago maybe less. Look on autotrader around ym area, most cars are around 160-200k miles for around 3500-5000$ I got a good price. 4500 is what they had INVESTED into the car including the tires paint job wheels and everything else.

Being able to find what I got for the price your saying is about impossible I have been looking for around 6 months and I KNOW THIS.

Please I do not want to argue about this I am VERY happy right now with my purchase I got a good deal on it. This is the car I have wanted from before I got my license, I got it now and thats that.

Also, you got any recommendation on the kind of racing seats?

EDIT: Also 1988 was my birthday year thats why I wanted 1988.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 12-11-2005, 06:36 AM   #6
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Nice car, never minded the 5.0L Mustangs. I think your best bet for the racing seats/harness' would be ebay, not sure if you really care about well known (expensive) brands, but you can get a cheap set of seats on there. How much you looking to spend in total for all the things you want for the car? (approximately).

Approximately? I do not know, as time progresses I will let you know BUT I want some quality things for the performance stuff, for the seats, brands I do not care much about, are seats easy to install? I really do not have much hands on car expeirience AT ALL. I have some tools but how hard would it be?

Old 12-11-2005, 06:45 AM   #7
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

For a Mustang:

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search....rclo=&saprchi=

Or less specific:

http://motors.search.ebay.ca/racing-...csZ2QQsbrbinZt

As far as I know, you are able to get racing seats that are just bolt ins (where the stock seats bolt in). You shouldn't have too hard of a time with that, but I'm not sure about the placement of the belt/harness.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:49 AM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
For a Mustang:

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search....rclo=&saprchi=

Or less specific:

http://motors.search.ebay.ca/racing-...csZ2QQsbrbinZt

As far as I know, you are able to get racing seats that are just bolt ins (where the stock seats bolt in). You shouldn't have too hard of a time with that, but I'm not sure about the placement of the belt/harness.

I was thinking about seeing if I could just get the seatbelts and racing seats for now without the full Roll Cage and Racing Harness but someone said that would be dangerous if in a wreck is this true or can I get the seatbelts and Racing seats for now and they work together fine without the Racing Harness and all?

Old 12-11-2005, 07:00 AM   #9
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
I was thinking about seeing if I could just get the seatbelts and racing seats for now without the full Roll Cage and Racing Harness but someone said that would be dangerous if in a wreck is this true or can I get the seatbelts and Racing seats for now and they work together fine without the Racing Harness and all?
Well I just took a quick look on Google and found atleast one site that sells Racing seats that say you can use either your stock seat blets OR a racing harness, so I'm guessing it's safe to stick with the stock belts until your ready to get a harness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbeau Seats
You can use your stock seatbelts or any of the Corbeau harnesses
http://www.3sxperformance.com/seats.asp

Old 12-11-2005, 07:02 AM   #10
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

I see, thanks for the info, on another site I'm apart of a guy recommended this roll bar http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail...d=SW8ptRollBar
only around 170 prolly 200 with shipping but not you have to wonder about installment...

Old 12-11-2005, 07:06 AM   #11
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well I just took a quick look on Google and found atleast one site that sells Racing seats that say you can use either your stock seat blets OR a racing harness, so I'm guessing it's safe to stick with the stock belts until your ready to get a harness.

http://www.3sxperformance.com/seats.asp

Those are a little expensive although. But for racing seats that are capable of having racing harnesses they must have those holes, am I correct? So I most likely will be dishing out some money which I don't mind but fomr what I know those seats are near top of the line I believe.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:08 AM   #12
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
I see, thanks for the info, on another site I'm apart of a guy recommended this roll bar http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail...d=SW8ptRollBar
only around 170 prolly 200 with shipping but not you have to wonder about installment...
Doesn't sound too bad, but installation might be alittle harder without some experienced help, might not even be too hard to install though since it'll already be sized and everything.

I also found this on another site and thought I should post this also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valica SCR GT
Some racing seats have wide side protection for the hips and ribs. Using a stock seatbelt setup with these seats would be ineffective and quite dangerous. If the seatbelt does not fit snug on your body then you can get seriously injured during an accident (like getting ‘clotheslined’). In these cases you need to invest in a good racing harness and mount it to the roll cage (with a roll bar).

http://www.statikdesign.com/scratchb...ior/seats.html

But with even say the roll bar you posted, then you should be able to install a harness and it won't cost TOO much more (if the bar is around $200). Guess that's something you'd have to ask the seller of the seats before you buy if possible (if they can be used with stock seatbelts).

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 12-11-2005 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:10 AM   #13
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Well I found these seats that a guy recently bought 200$ for the pair of APEX seats, I think those are what I'll get! http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...36#post5445536

Old 12-11-2005, 07:14 AM   #14
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Well I found these seats that a guy recently bought 200$ for the pair of APEX seats, I think those are what I'll get! http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...36#post5445536
They don't look too bad.... and for a pretty good price I must say. ALso if you notice, they still had the stock belts in the car lol. I think they'd look good with your car.

Old 12-11-2005, 08:08 AM   #15
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
I did a search around my area, that is a good price for it. KBB is NOT accurate within over 10 years ago maybe less. Look on autotrader around ym area, most cars are around 160-200k miles for around 3500-5000$ I got a good price. 4500 is what they had INVESTED into the car including the tires paint job wheels and everything else.

Being able to find what I got for the price your saying is about impossible I have been looking for around 6 months and I KNOW THIS.

Please I do not want to argue about this I am VERY happy right now with my purchase I got a good deal on it. This is the car I have wanted from before I got my license, I got it now and thats that.

Also, you got any recommendation on the kind of racing seats?

EDIT: Also 1988 was my birthday year thats why I wanted 1988.

I wasnt trying to start an argument, just asked a question. I guess tihngs are different down here than up there, you can get 90-93's for $2k and under no problem down here. That's why I raised the question. Kbb tends to be accurate for non-rare cars most of the time.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote