Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2005, 02:52 AM   #1
danielspencer2
CF Newbie

car tyre misaligned help needed

Hi,

when driving my car, on a straight piece of road, if i take my hands of the steering wheel the car starts to slowly turn to the left. this only happens when i take my hands off the steering wheel. it doesn't happen when my hands are on the steering wheel and it doesn't pull the steering wheel when my hands are on it, although i guess when it gets wore it probably will. there is no steering fluid leaks and the tyres have correct pressure.

So if my car pulls to the left, does that mean the LEFT front tyre needs to be aligned or would it be the front right tyre?
danielspencer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:58 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielspencer2
Hi,

when driving my car, on a straight piece of road, if i take my hands of the steering wheel the car starts to slowly turn to the left. this only happens when i take my hands off the steering wheel. it doesn't happen when my hands are on the steering wheel and it doesn't pull the steering wheel when my hands are on it, although i guess when it gets wore it probably will. there is no steering fluid leaks and the tyres have correct pressure.

So if my car pulls to the left, does that mean the LEFT front tyre needs to be aligned or would it be the front right tyre?
I dont think you can align a single tire. You can balance a tire, but alignment is for the steering in general. At least I think so.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:18 AM   #3
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielspencer2
Hi,

An introduction would help for some of CF's "more-needy" members.

But as far as the situation, I'd just take it to pepboys and ask for a front-end/wheel alignment.

EDIT: Or anywhere in general, I just use Pepboys because they've helped me out in the past.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:19 AM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima

But as far as the situation, I'd just take it to pepboys and ask for a front-end/wheel alignment.

EDIT: Or anywhere in general, I just use Pepboys because they've helped me out in the past.
Damn youre getting good. We should talk over a drink sometime, youre picking things up.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:19 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima

IMO 90 for a tire is just crap. We shuda waited for eppies it wuda been 45.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
Vlad
CF Addict

You can't tell from which way it pulls which tire it is.

There are several alignment angles. Camber, caster, and toe are some of the more important ones. I don't have my notes with me so I don't remember exactly the stats on em but I believe that camber and caster will pull, but toe will not, or maybe its caster that doesn't pull and toe does. Toe and camber will also wear your tires, while caster will not, and is adjusted for handling purposes.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
You can't tell from which way it pulls which tire it is.

There are several alignment angles. Camber, caster, and toe are some of the more important ones. I don't have my notes with me so I don't remember exactly the stats on em but I believe that camber and caster will pull, but toe will not, or maybe its caster that doesn't pull and toe does. Toe and camber will also wear your tires, while caster will not, and is adjusted for handling purposes.
exactly, my car's pulling to the left also, but I know for a fact its not the front wheels (had it aligned when I got my skunk2 caamber kit). The front wheels read really close to zero, whil the rear camber's a little off (couldn't afford rear camber kit at the time). The rear camber of my tires is throwing off my alignment by a little. I'm waiting to buy rear lower control arms as well as rear camber kit before I realign my car again.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Caster is not a tire wearing angle, camber is.... and toe is the most crucial tire wearing angle and all angles will create a pull if off by far enough, camber pulls to the more positive, so if you have the left tire at 1 degree negative camber, and the other at 1 degree positive, it will wanna pull to the right by 2 degrees. Caster will wanna steer to the side with less caster, then you have to take into consideration road crown because all roads have some crown for water drainage, so you usually take .5-1.0 degrees of pull to the center of the road or in N.A to the left, and i try to shoot for half a degree through camber and half a degree through caster, then set your toe an blamo. and if all the specs are pefect but it still pulls you start swapping tires around(could be a tire pull)
Old 12-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #9
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Here's a question: I was told the rear on my car could not be aligned just the front, is that true? Just never heard of it before then.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:02 PM   #10
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Here's a question: I was told the rear on my car could not be aligned just the front, is that true? Just never heard of it before then.
Yes this could be true. There are vehicles that do not have any alignment adjustments on the rear suspension.

There are others that do.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:26 AM   #11
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

well id have to see how the suspension is setup on your talon, but most are adjustable it just takes shims or drilling rivets, people usually say they cant align the rear wheels because there too lazy to actually put the proper shim kit in, it does take a bit of time and some skill. then theres trucks, usually not adjustable in the rear but a tracking condition can be fixed with new spring bushings, or new springs if one is sagged or broken, i would say yours is adjustable.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:25 PM   #12
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
well id have to see how the suspension is setup on your talon, but most are adjustable it just takes shims or drilling rivets, people usually say they cant align the rear wheels because there too lazy to actually put the proper shim kit in, it does take a bit of time and some skill. then theres trucks, usually not adjustable in the rear but a tracking condition can be fixed with new spring bushings, or new springs if one is sagged or broken, i would say yours is adjustable.
If you look at it that way then all suspensions are adjustable.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:28 AM   #13
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

obviously if it is a solid rear differential, it would be hard to shim it for proper camber, would take out the axle bearing really quick. if the specs are out then something is bent, there isnt a single vehicle on the road that cant be aligned properly...Humans are just lazy pricks most of the time.