Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2005, 02:08 AM   #1
Masuk
CF Newbie

CT SpeedShop??

Hey guys-
Alot of you reading this are probably going to call some bullshit but this is something my family and alot of good friends are very interested in. I live in CT, (USA) where there are virtually no speedshops or really any type of parts stores besides say Autozone. So I, along with a few people, are seriously looking into starting a SpeedShop. Hundreds of kids in my highschool wrench on their trucks or imports almost everyweekend. I know there is a market for it where I live, plus, living in CT, people have alot of money. Im not meaning to brag or anything, but what ever. What would be my first move, how would I go about starting the buisness from the actuall parts point of view. Location and all will be taken care of by my father, and a friend, but how do I go about making some connections into the autoparts buisness? I would really appreciate any help or comments you all have. Thanks
-Justin
Masuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:52 AM   #2
dammlax
CF Newbie

That's cool man. That would be the dream of mine...especially whne u have a good demand plus your into it so i think u should go for it. Find a good location, plus a few good friends sounds like a great investment.
dammlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:16 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Great idea That's what I plan for a future career

Just find yourself some good providers, and buy what the others would want...so maybe you should do some demographics/testing to see what the buyers would want...had to do something similar for a business project.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:12 AM   #4
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Build your own show/race car, and put your name all over it. If you make it original and different, it will get noticed, and so will your speed shop. Plus you can build a cool car and write it off as a buisness expence

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:20 AM   #5
Masuk
CF Newbie

haha I never thought of that, thanks guys. Any other advice?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:34 AM   #6
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuk
haha I never thought of that, thanks guys. Any other advice?

I have no idea about getting in contact with some serious brand names for that kind of thing... but if you are serious I'd say go to the brand name's website and see if you can call them or contact them somehow, other than that maybe search on yahoo maybe they have a turtorial for this kind of thing lol, who knwos but you will prolly have to start with small brand name's until you gain rep then upgrade....

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:56 AM   #7
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Look for locations, talk with dealers, vendors, visit conventions, and then talk to a bank.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:08 AM   #8
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

graduate

get a degree in business management or something

build a business plan

take it to a bank and get a loan...
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:59 PM   #9
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

Perhaps you should search for “automotive franchises” on the web. For one lump sum you can have a full blown parts house and you can then add a racing line as the business grows.

Usually they will supply all the parts and inventory control on consignment.
Good way to start out. One lump sum and your in business.
Make sure they have no qualms about your racing line.

You will need all the business and general math you can get. Taxes, inventory, and payroll will be your biggest headaches. Of course putting up with a bunch of idiot employees will be the hardest thing you have ever done.

Good luck.

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Go to some of the local shows up there (and yes, there are many in CT). Check out the shops that actually do build tuner cars and musclecars up there (and yes, there are a lot). See how they do it and learn. You could always buy this one:

http://lite.globalbx.com/Auto_Parts_...ting41580.html

BTW, before you go saying how much money you have up there, get away from the southern coast and hit areas like Jewitt City, Griswold, Meriden, Waterford, East Hartford, etc. Much of CT's economy is in the toilet.

Some other local speed shops are National Speed Shop in Manchester, CT, and Juliano's in Vernon, CT.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:29 PM   #11
Wally
I Know More Than You

Well as everyone knows you can make a small fortune in auto mechanics; you generally just need to start with a large one.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:15 AM   #12
Masuk
CF Newbie

Chris I tried to make it clear I wasnt bragging or anything about my family's economical status. Most of the people around me, do infact have decent money. I appreciate the link, Im going to give that guy a call. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:06 AM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuk
Chris I tried to make it clear I wasnt bragging or anything about my family's economical status. Most of the people around me, do infact have decent money. I appreciate the link, Im going to give that guy a call. Thanks again.

I was merely responding to the statement:

Quote:
plus, living in CT, people have alot of money

Living in CT doesn't mean people have money. In fact most of CT doesn't have money, only the Gold Coast. So when you look at economic factors, keep that in mind.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote