Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2005, 05:07 AM   #1
TranceSpeeder
CF Newbie

carfax problem

in the new car i wanna get, in the carfax report it says that there is lien record(s) found. what does that mean?

also there is a.....

emission/safety inpection record(s) found.

everything else looks ok.

is there something i need to worry about?

thanks
TranceSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:31 AM   #2
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

i didnt know either, so i went and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lien

yay for free knowledge.

aka, it was legal bs. shouldnt be anything you need to worry about.

Last edited by pik_d : 12-13-2005 at 05:37 AM.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
i didnt know either, so i went and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lien

yay for free knowledge.

aka, it was legal bs. shouldnt be anything you need to worry about.
Well he'd have to worry if it's still got a lien on it, as the guy you buy it from may not pay whatever he has the lien for on the car and the bank or whoever will come looking for THEIR car and you'll be the person screwed over.

If it's been paid off though then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
97Talonchik
discombobulated

A lien just means someone else owns it until it is paid off (i.e. as stated above: if you get a loan to pay for a car, a lien is enforced. That person shall have the rights to the car [title] until such is paid in full wherein you will receive the title. If such person who aquired the loan does not make payments in a timely manner, owner of the lien has the right to seize the property). Think of it as collateral. The emmissions inspection probably is just an indication the car was submitted for emissions inspections as required by law in some states. It would be a good idea to find out if it passed such inspection as well if you are thinking of buying this car.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

ANY car that is still being paid for (and unless someone bought their new car with cash, then pretty much anything newer than 5 years WILL not yet be paid off) will have a lien record: the financial institution that the buyer is making payments to, be it a dealership, bank, or credit union. Anyone financing a car will generate a lein record even if they subsequently pay it off.

As for the emissions record, every time a car goes in for it's annual or bi-annual emissions inspection (and in some states safety inspection) will generate a record, whether it passes or fails, the record is of it GOING there. In states that require annual inspections, recrtods of goig to the inspection are a good thing. The only issu eis if that record shows it failed AND that there are no subsequent records of passing after being repaired.

Remember, a modern car can fail an emnissions inspection for having a poorly fitting gas cap.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote