Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Your thoughts

As you might know Im selling the Fiero. I have several people who have shown interested, and have shown the car 5 times so far. So Im starting to look at the new car Ill be buying. Im kind of stuck, I should be able to get a 10k car loan with a 4-5k down payment (I only worry about making that many payments). But that opens up my options.

So Im kind of torn here are the 4 Im torn between number of stars shows which im leaning towards.

03 Pontaic Vibe*
94 Volvo 940**
95 Subaru Outback*
01 Chryser PT Cruiser***

So what do you guys think?
Old 12-21-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

My initial gut feeling says to go with the Subie or Volvo, but those would be my choice. In the real world, the Cruiser or Vibe would probably be better choices.

Subie/Volvo
Pro: Good, solid, dependable cars. Depreciation has bottomed out.
Con: Probably higher miles meaning more repairs. Kinda frumpy looking.

Cruiser/Vibe
Pro: Newer, flashier, plenty of room to carry whatever.
Con: More expensive to purchase and insure. Still depreciating.

All things being equal, I'd have to recommend the Cruiser, unless... If you can get the Vibe for the same price, it's a better deal from a financial standpoint. Good luck.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I think the 940 looks best, but what are you going to carry?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

The Subaru will offer you AWD which will be nicer in the winter months. I would also prefer it styling wise but that is my opinion.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

If you want a Cruiser, my '02 Touring edition 5 speed will be up for sale shortly, for $7500 which includes the brand new 17" wheels and performance tires (less than 100 miles on them). 0 problems in 68k iles, better fuel mileage and quicker than the normal automatic versions.

hint, hint...

Getting it detailed and pictures taken this weekend so it can go up on ebay after the first of the year.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:31 AM   #6
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I think the 940 looks best, but what are you going to carry?

I like the 940 mostly because its a Volvo... and hell itll last forever.

Ill be carrying Photography supplies, IE tripods, Backdrops, 3-10 lights with fliters, 2 cameras, stools... that kind of stuff.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:32 AM   #7
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
If you want a Cruiser, my '02 Touring edition 5 speed will be up for sale shortly, for $7500 which includes the brand new 17" wheels and performance tires (less than 100 miles on them). 0 problems in 68k iles, better fuel mileage and quicker than the normal automatic versions.

hint, hint...

Getting it detailed and pictures taken this weekend so it can go up on ebay after the first of the year.

Too bad your too far from me.... how do you like it tho?
Like handling, gasmillage... ext.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I love mine. Probably one of the best cars I've ever bought. Not a race car or luxury car by any means, but comfotable on long trips, sporty handling (it did very well out on the autocorss track)and very useful for carrrying things.

I'm in the middle of buying a newer Range Rover for my wife, so I can sell the PT and start looking for a luxury/sport sedan for me (I'll be driving her old Range Rover, which is paid off) as a daily/work truck until that point).

I've owned the PT longer than all but one other car, and I'll probably regret selling it.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:05 PM   #9
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Looks like I’m getting a Town and Country LX. I’m buying it from my dad because I need a car like yesterday so he’s "letting" me buy his car.

Its not all that bad... could use a new hood, and needs one rust spot repaired.... it is a 98... and only has a 130k and he takes care of it religiously... 12k miles for a tranny flush, 3k for a synethic oil change... that kind of stuff. So at least it’ll last me. And it has more room then any of the other things I was looking at. I only wish there was stuff to make it look better and sup up the engine. Looks like there are a couple of body kits out there for it… and a few interior kits…. But no engine upgrades and that’s what I care about most… I want a new intake and exhaust… and perhaps water injection, also I want to remove the water pump and go electric.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
Looks like I’m getting a Town and Country LX. I’m buying it from my dad because I need a car like yesterday so he’s "letting" me buy his car.

Its not all that bad... could use a new hood, and needs one rust spot repaired.... it is a 98... and only has a 130k and he takes care of it religiously... 12k miles for a tranny flush, 3k for a synethic oil change... that kind of stuff. So at least it’ll last me. And it has more room then any of the other things I was looking at. I only wish there was stuff to make it look better and sup up the engine. Looks like there are a couple of body kits out there for it… and a few interior kits…. But no engine upgrades and that’s what I care about most… I want a new intake and exhaust… and perhaps water injection, also I want to remove the water pump and go electric.
No.... No..... No....

Drive it into the ground and be done with it.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #11
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
No.... No..... No....

Drive it into the ground and be done with it.

What kind of 2cents is that?
I think my dad would be kind of hurt if I drove it into the ground.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:19 PM   #12
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
What kind of 2cents is that?
I think my dad would be kind of hurt if I drove it into the ground.
I'm not saying to beat the crap out of it. I'm just saying to leave it as it is instead of spending money on it to make it "look" better and go faster.

You were looking for a vehicle to haul stuff with. Then that is what this is. Save your money for something nicer later on.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:48 AM   #13
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

I didnt buy my dads car, and I didnt buy one of the ones on my list.

I actually got a sadan... a 98 Plymouth Breeze... its not the fastest and its not the sleekest... but it gets great gas millage and its reiable and only cost me 2k... So i'm happy, unless of course if any one knows if the chrysler 2.0L SOHC has any performance parts.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:33 AM   #14
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:

I actually got a sadan... a 98 Plymouth Breeze... its not the fastest and its not the sleekest... but it gets great gas millage and its reiable and only cost me 2k... So i'm happy, unless of course if any one knows if the chrysler 2.0L SOHC has any performance parts.

A comfortable sedan with a decent (for normal day driving) 132 (or so) ponies. Congrats! 2 grand is kinda cheap though IMO. How many miles are on it and in what condition is it?

EDIT: Here are some parts for it: http://motors.search.ebay.com/ebaymo...1&fsoo=1&fyhi=

I didn't see many performance parts though. Tried google, still didn't work. Lots of parts out there though, I'm sure if you try hard enough, you'll find something.

Last edited by Nissan_Altima : 01-01-2006 at 03:37 AM.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:38 AM   #15
newyorker
MXman

Quote:

What engine is it? If its basically the same one that the neon has 2.0 SOHC then a few things should be compatable. Care to post a picture of the engine and possibly find the number I can tell yuo for sure
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote