Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
BlueMeanie
CF Newbie

Overwhelmed!

So, the interior of my '75 Gremlin is trashed... The dash has cracks and has been painted pink but partially stripped. The carpet is rotten, the headliner is even worse. The seats are torn and sitting funky.
It leaks somewhere in there, making the front seat soaked all of the time. my gauges are cracked and the hole for the radio is carved out bigger than the radio and looks horrible.

I'm just lost on what to do and where to start.
Where does one start when redoing the interior of a vehicle?
In the end, I hope to make everything black and grey, and look nice. It doesn't have to be showroom, just not redneck.
I'm really hoping to repair, rather than replace.
Can anybody give me some pointers? I'd really like some suggestions on where to start and how I should go about fixing it up.
Thanks a lot,
Blue
Old 12-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMeanie
So, the interior of my '75 Gremlin is trashed... The dash has cracks and has been painted pink but partially stripped. The carpet is rotten, the headliner is even worse. The seats are torn and sitting funky.
It leaks somewhere in there, making the front seat soaked all of the time. my gauges are cracked and the hole for the radio is carved out bigger than the radio and looks horrible.

I'm just lost on what to do and where to start.
Where does one start when redoing the interior of a vehicle?
In the end, I hope to make everything black and grey, and look nice. It doesn't have to be showroom, just not redneck.
I'm really hoping to repair, rather than replace.
Can anybody give me some pointers? I'd really like some suggestions on where to start and how I should go about fixing it up.
Thanks a lot,
Blue
I suppose the first question that needs to be answered is... Are you using the car as a driver, or is it parked? That in itself has a bearing on your restoration strategy.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Well... As Hobo said, it makes a difference if you need to drive it regularly.

But, there's little hope of simply "repairing" much of it without replacing a lot of it. There are kits to "repair" the dash cracks, but teh repair is always obvious afterward. You could cover it with a dash mat, but I'm not sure how tacky you might think that looks. Seats can be recovered at any decent upholstery shop. Carpet is too inexpensive to try to repair, and will make the biggest difference in the way it looks, just get a kit from JC Whitney. Same for headliners.

You might also be able to match up the factory seals with JC Whitney, or do some Google searches online for actual suppliers of older AMC restoration rubber. Hemmings Motor News magazine is also a likely source. And here:

http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring...rs;action=list

Unfortunately, all of it requires some disassembly of the car. If you have to drive it, start gathering parts until you have enough to do a good chunk on a weekend. It's best however, to not have to drive the car while you work on it, if at all possible.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
sandlercd_22
CF Enthusiast

Im sure there are dash covers somwhere. I have to have one in my Nova but of course, parts for Novas are proboly easier to find than parts for a Gremlin.
sandlercd_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
adamc44
CF Freak

if ya have time to wait around until this summer i will be parting one out. im pikcing it up in the spring and derbyin the car this summer. interior if i remember is pretty good.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:39 AM   #6
Mk3golfer
CF Enthusiast

fix the leak before you do anything... strip out the interior, take out the headlining (this is normally the worst job on a car, when you have to replace it buy a premade one) remove any rust on the inside of the car then paint it etc... i guess it depends on if you wanna do the whole lot yourself! retrim the seats and panels with some fo your own fabric, then patch up the dash... or buy a second hand interior!