Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Tires: Where's the best place to get 'em?

Where do you get your tires, and what do you like about the prices, service, etc?

I've done Walmart and Sears. Walmart is cheap but service is crap. Sears has really good service but they can just about knock you into the poor house. There's got to be something better out there.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Personally, I prefer buying from Tire Rack. I've done business with the Mr. Tire locally, buthad issues with them, and in fact, just got wheels and tires through Pep Boys for the PT (Hankook HR 405's. I was going to get them through Tire Rack, but Pep Boys matched the price and did the mouting/balancing and road hazard warranty). Of course, I'm generally looking at performance tires, as I don't like cheaping out on the four little patches of rubber that are the only things that keep you on the road...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Personally, I prefer buying from Tire Rack. I've done business with the Mr. Tire locally, buthad issues with them, and in fact, just got wheels and tires through Pep Boys for the PT (Hankook HR 405's. I was going to get them through Tire Rack, but Pep Boys matched the price and did the mouting/balancing and road hazard warranty). Of course, I'm generally looking at performance tires, as I don't like cheaping out on the four little patches of rubber that are the only things that keep you on the road...
I got my yokohama AVID H4S from there for $49 each plus shipping. Much Much cheaper than the store
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

For civilians who can't get tires wholesale like I do, I highly recommend Tire Rack. Sometimes they can beat the prices of my wholesalers. I've used them for years, even when I lived in Europe. They provide superior customer service and great products at more than fair prices. They also sell wheel/tire packages that show up at your door mounted and balanced with new lug nuts, just bolt them on.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
97Talonchik
discombobulated

If you don't want to use Tire Rack and want to stick to the local chains, call around and get prices, then call around to the place you really want to buy from and tell them what price the other place is offering and see if they will match it. Works for me most of the time. I've found most places have the ability to pricematch.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:42 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

One other thing, I rarely look at the mileage of the tire. The longer the life the harder the rubber which generally makes them stick to the road less in the rain and colder weather. Teflon would last a long time, but you wouldn't want to deal with the traction level of teflon..

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:48 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
One other thing, I rarely look at the mileage of the tire. The longer the life the harder the rubber which generally makes them stick to the road less in the rain and colder weather. Teflon would last a long time, but you wouldn't want to deal with the traction level of teflon..
Dammit! There goes my latest business venture... Teflon Tires LLC.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Thanks for the replies, everyone, and I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season

I've been replacing my tires two at a time but I think when two are at 2/32" and the other two are at 4/32" I will replace all four using tips from this thread.

Has anyone done business with discount tires before? I've got a buddy that raves about them but I'm not really feeling driving 40 minutes to a nearby town to rotate and balance my tires Also, what do you think about the recommendation to align wheels (quite expensive) immediately after mounting new tires?
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote