Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2004, 05:30 PM   #1
Tragic Thoughts
CF Newbie

Auto Cross, What would be a good long lasting car?

I am gonna be building a Auto Cross car for the 2004 Racing Season. I was wondering what car you all would take. For those of you who dont know what Auto Cross is, It is a race of about 10 cars in a heat and bout 15-20 in the main. They race around a track that has jumps and smash into each other. The race is just basically a demo derby around a track and there are big jumps and little jumps. The car take one hell of a beating. So I need a tough and long lasting car. There is a few exceptions. The only thing you can do is change the gas tank to a fuel cell, You must have atleast a 4 PT roll cage and you have to have street tires on it. You can't have bigger then a 350 and you must remove all the glass and plastic out of it. I am looking for a car that is big and has steel bumpers. Which car do you think has the best chance of winning? I'll post a pole so please vote. I really need to find a car. Thanks for looking.

Please don't reply to my post's telling me how dumb or how stupid it is to supe up a Metro, Cause I don't care.

This car is 2 Fast 2 Furious

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...078_5_full.jpg
Tragic Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:28 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic Thoughts
I am gonna be building a Auto Cross car for the 2004 Racing Season. I was wondering what car you all would take. For those of you who dont know what Auto Cross is, It is a race of about 10 cars in a heat and bout 15-20 in the main. They race around a track that has jumps and smash into each other. The race is just basically a demo derby around a track and there are big jumps and little jumps. The car take one hell of a beating. So I need a tough and long lasting car. There is a few exceptions. The only thing you can do is change the gas tank to a fuel cell, You must have atleast a 4 PT roll cage and you have to have street tires on it. You can't have bigger then a 350 and you must remove all the glass and plastic out of it. I am looking for a car that is big and has steel bumpers. Which car do you think has the best chance of winning? I'll post a pole so please vote. I really need to find a car. Thanks for looking.

So, there is a place, somewhere, where autocross does mean basically the automotive equivalent of Motocross... When I first clicked on this I was thinking SCCA autocross and sports cars...

'74 Dodge Coronet with a 318. Solid, unkillable, and able to take a hell of a beaing. I've seen many in D-Derbies, and they seem to take a lot of abuse.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
While I don't disagree with any of ChrisV's facts, I do disagree with his conclusion for one very specific reason.

First let's take a look what little you provided of the rules. It's a not very well kept secret that anytime you see a class that has a 350 cid engine rule, the rules are written to make it a GM class and more specifically a Chevy class. Sad but true. I'd be willing to bet that this class also has a minimum wheelbase rule as well. Because of that, and the cost of new and used replacement parts are cheaper I suggest you run '80's Malibu, Cutlass, Regal, etc.

The weak link with the Mopar for your intended use is the fact that it's a unibody platform and all things being equal the full frame car will probably take more punishment.

As a side note, you have no idea how much pain it causes me to recommend any GM car over a Mopar.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:00 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
While I don't disagree with any of ChrisV's facts, I do disagree with his conclusion for one very specific reason.

First let's take a look what little you provided of the rules. It's a not very well kept secret that anytime you see a class that has a 350 cid engine rule, the rules are written to make it a GM class and more specifically a Chevy class. Sad but true. I'd be willing to bet that this class also has a minimum wheelbase rule as well. Because of that, and the cost of new and used replacement parts are cheaper I suggest you run '80's Malibu, Cutlass, Regal, etc.

True. I wish I could find out more about what was already running out there. Like you said, probably a crapload of mid '70s to early '80s GM intermediates.

Quote:
The weak link with the Mopar for your intended use is the fact that it's a unibody platform and all things being equal the full frame car will probably take more punishment.

I think that may be a toss up, after what I've seen these Coronets go through in D Derby. A friend who did D Derby (which as a custom bodyman, bugs me on principle) got a '74 Coronet, and drove it in 3 different D Derby events... the amount of punishment it took was incredible. He went out and got another, and went another 4 events...

Quote:
As a side note, you have no idea how much pain it causes me to recommend any GM car over a Mopar.

Take solace in the fact that you're recommending the GM to get the sh*t beat out of it, rather than let a Mopar get destroyed...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Take solace in the fact that you're recommending the GM to get the sh*t beat out of it, rather than let a Mopar get destroyed...
I was hoping nobody would see my ulterior motive.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-15-2004, 09:21 PM   #6
Tragic Thoughts
CF Newbie

Last year I raced a 87 Grand Prix w/ a Chevy 350. The car handled awesome, But it didn't land very soft and I even cheated and put new shocks on it. The car would bounce alot but I guess that is just the reprocussion of having a bigger motor in the car. The front end nosed dived alot until I had a skid on it. Then when I put it in I usually got the top 5 of 15. The car is still in one piece. But the motor is blown LOL... So time for a new car.. Fenders arent in very good shape.

Please don't reply to my post's telling me how dumb or how stupid it is to supe up a Metro, Cause I don't care.

Old 03-15-2004, 09:23 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Last year I raced a 87 Grand Prix w/ a Chevy 350. The car handled awesome, But it didn't land very soft and I even cheated and put new shocks on it. The car would bounce alot but I guess that is just the reprocussion of having a bigger motor in the car. The front end nosed dived alot until I had a skid on it. Then when I put it in I usually got the top 5 of 15. The car is still in one piece. But the motor is blown LOL... So time for a new car.. Fenders arent in very good shape.
In my opinion that makes what I said previously even more valid. You already have a parts car, find another one like it.

Old 03-15-2004, 09:31 PM   #8
Tragic Thoughts
CF Newbie

True, I was thinkin of just buying another parts car. But then I will still need a new body, New rims. These rims are bent and one is cracked. They are just black rims and the car was red. The frame I think might be bent. But I still got a 250.00 Fuel Cell and a 195.00 seat in it. So I will probally pull that out and stick it in a different car. Now that I think about it. The only car to beat me was a buick. A regal to be exact. That car was setup. The dude had alot of expirience to. I could keep my bumper up to his back bumper. But I wouldn't get any closer. I think I might just buy another 87 Grand Prix or Regal.. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-15-2004, 11:22 PM   #9
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

I'd say get yourself an 80's Monte Carlo. However, VWhobo has some good choices aswell.

a little off-topic. I'm still trying to figure out why nearly everyone in here hates GM

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:33 PM   #10
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
I'd say get yourself an 80's Monte Carlo. However, VWhobo has some good choices aswell.

a little off-topic. I'm still trying to figure out why nearly everyone in here hates GM

my reasons for disliking them:
1) The Aztec
2) The Avalanche
3) Sh*tty build quality
4) boring-assed cars.
5) Killing the Camaro/Firebird

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:18 AM   #11
Tragic Thoughts
CF Newbie

I just called the Junkyard and the guy (Don) is out, He races Demo Derby so he knows quite a bit about them. Maybe he could help me.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:14 AM   #12
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
my reasons for disliking them:
1) The Aztec
2) The Avalanche
3) Sh*tty build quality
4) boring-assed cars.
5) Killing the Camaro/Firebird

Sorry, for disagreeing with you SJ, but the Avalanche is cool. It was the original SUT. Notice everyone (well, close to everyone) else is copying them?

I don't know which models of GM you're talking about with the shitty quality, because My dad's Safari van lasted till....I think it was 149K. I know a few people with other Berettas, Corsicas, and misc. trucks who have well over 200K. So to say they all have a shitty build quality is just wrong.

I do agree that the Aztec was a mistake, though I thought it, again, was a nice try for them trying something new.

JW, how are their cars boring?

And I relly don't agree with GM for killing the F-bodys. bastards.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:18 AM   #13
SuperJew
I like pie.

eh...i should have been more specific..

the avalanche may be cool but i still think its ugly

i should have been more specific...the newer models, like the Trailblazer had lots of problems when it first came out.

and the cars boring....look at their competitors and tell me theyre not boring.

yeah yeah damn them to hell for killing the F-Bodys.

or just brick them.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:52 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Sorry, for disagreeing with you SJ, but the Avalanche is cool. It was the original SUT. Notice everyone (well, close to everyone) else is copying them?

I don't know which models of GM you're talking about with the shitty quality, because My dad's Safari van lasted till....I think it was 149K. I know a few people with other Berettas, Corsicas, and misc. trucks who have well over 200K. So to say they all have a shitty build quality is just wrong.

I do agree that the Aztec was a mistake, though I thought it, again, was a nice try for them trying something new.

JW, how are their cars boring?

And I relly don't agree with GM for killing the F-bodys. bastards.
Newsflash for people born in the last 20 years. The original "SUT" was the Subaru Brat.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:55 AM   #15
SuperJew
I like pie.

uh dude....whats the "webspawner"?