Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
battery
CF Newbie

Question Alternator/battery??

Hi any help would be nice I have a 1989 Olds Cutlass Supreme im on my 3rd alternator and 2nd battery, ive put on a new terminals and new wiring from the alternator out and the battery out have had the last alternator tested and the last battery tested both ok prob. is only can get about 15 miles then the car has no voltage and need a jump to get back home again. Anyone have any idea where i can look to see what i should try next i really need this car I just placed a brand new motor in this car 1 yr ago and not even 10 thousand miles on it and this is the only prob.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery
Hi any help would be nice I have a 1989 Olds Cutlass Supreme im on my 3rd alternator and 2nd battery, ive put on a new terminals and new wiring from the alternator out and the battery out have had the last alternator tested and the last battery tested both ok prob. is only can get about 15 miles then the car has no voltage and need a jump to get back home again. Anyone have any idea where i can look to see what i should try next i really need this car I just placed a brand new motor in this car 1 yr ago and not even 10 thousand miles on it and this is the only prob.

is there any sort of grounding issue possibly? i mean, theres no reason for an alternator/battery to burn like that unless theres an short or grounding issue...
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
RANGERRICKII
CF Newbie

first thing i would check is the voltages on your alternator both off and when the veh is running. GM alternators are usually three wires. One heavy red wire lugged to the rear of the alternator is the output line. Should read battery voltage 12v +/- 1 volt with car off. On the side of the alternator is a 2 prong plug. Again, a heavy but not as heavy red wire is on this plug as well. Should also read same as heavy red wire on rear of alternator. Assuming it does,, check your idot lite on the dash.. Does that come on when u turn the key? That bulb is in series with the light guage brown wire next to the red wire in the plug. With the key on.. you should have voltage at that line as well.

With engine started, what do you read for voltage accross the battery terminals? IF charging system works,, should be approx 13.8-14.6 volts. IF it is less than that,, you have a problem with the charging ckt and u should start by checking as i described.

Rick
RANGERRICKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:33 AM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You

OK I'll be the dummy. Does the alternator have an external regulator?

As RANGERRICKII posted, get a $20 multimeter and check if the charge voltage at the battery is up around the 14's with the engine revs up.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:35 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
OK I'll be the dummy. Does the alternator have an external regulator?

As RANGERRICKII posted, get a $20 multimeter and check if the charge voltage at the battery is up around the 14's with the engine revs up.
Or better yet... He hasn't been here for over two months. Somehow I doubt he cares.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:57 AM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You

Crikey I'm really a dummy.