Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
Deliverator
CF Newbie

Question 91 Nissan Stanza Starting Problem

I have a '91 Stanza with 150,000 kms on it. It was running fine until this summer, when I blew a 10A fuse on the fuel pump line. It kept blowing fuses until I put in a 15A fuse, after which it ran fine until recently:

If I start from a cold start, it starts up, no problem. But after the engine gets warm, if I park it for 10 mintues, I have a lot of trouble starting it, if at all. If I let her cool down so that it's a cold start, again, no problem.

I've been told I may need a new fuel pump. Also, I've read it may be the fuel pressure regulator. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:20 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

As mentioned before...all answers and help begin in the "Introduce Yourself" thread. Believe me...it works!!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverator
I have a '91 Stanza with 150,000 kms on it. It was running fine until this summer, when I blew a 10A fuse on the fuel pump line. It kept blowing fuses until I put in a 15A fuse, after which it ran fine until recently:

If I start from a cold start, it starts up, no problem. But after the engine gets warm, if I park it for 10 mintues, I have a lot of trouble starting it, if at all. If I let her cool down so that it's a cold start, again, no problem.

I've been told I may need a new fuel pump. Also, I've read it may be the fuel pressure regulator. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Wait a minute, is this your first post? Why yes it is. My first words of help will be to tell you that new members should always start in the "Introduce Yourself" section, especially if they want help.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Wait a minute, is this your first post? Why yes it is. My first words of help will be to tell you that new members should always start in the "Introduce Yourself" section, especially if they want help.

Might this be a 'C' and 'P' reply?

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Might this be a 'C' and 'P' reply?
No, I think I've just typed this so many times my fingers know exactly where to go.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-15-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
SuperJew
I like pie.

and i'll move this to R&M

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 10:02 PM   #7
Deliverator
CF Newbie

Oops.

Quote:

Ok. I'll repost in the "Introduce Yourself" section. Sorry.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:05 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

From your description you have what are probably two unrelated problems. If you have to run a higher amperage fuse for the fuel pump, this tells me you either have high resistance in the circuit, high resistance in the pump, or a partially clogged pick-up, fuel line or filter. At any rate having the 15 amp fuse in a 10 amp hole is dangerous. There is a reason after all why the factory used a 10 amp fuse.

The starting problem is harder to call. A discrepency in the fuel delivery system could cause this but because engine temp is a factor I'm more inclined to say you need to look at ignition or engine management. The first logical question is, have you checked for codes and what are they?

Old 03-16-2004, 06:59 PM   #9
Deliverator
CF Newbie

Quote:
From your description you have what are probably two unrelated problems. If you have to run a higher amperage fuse for the fuel pump, this tells me you either have high resistance in the circuit, high resistance in the pump, or a partially clogged pick-up, fuel line or filter. At any rate having the 15 amp fuse in a 10 amp hole is dangerous. There is a reason after all why the factory used a 10 amp fuse.

The starting problem is harder to call. A discrepency in the fuel delivery system could cause this but because engine temp is a factor I'm more inclined to say you need to look at ignition or engine management. The first logical question is, have you checked for codes and what are they?

I was afraid that they might not be related. I had the same problem (though not as bad) last winter, and I brought the car into a dealer. He told me there were no codes, and that he couldn't figure out what was wrong. Obviously, the problem has popped up even worse now.

I'll try replacing the fuel filter and putting back the 10A fuse.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:31 PM   #10
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Putting back the 10A fuse and finding the real problem would be a revolutionary idea. Have you ever fried the wiring harness and all components of a vehicle's electrical system, not to mention running an incorrect fuse in wiring pertaining directly to the fuel delivery system? Not pretty............This was hit right on the head when it was stated that there is a cause for that 10A fuse to blow in a circuit where the manufacturer installed a 10A fuse.

Quote:
I was afraid that they might not be related. I had the same problem (though not as bad) last winter, and I brought the car into a dealer. He told me there were no codes, and that he couldn't figure out what was wrong. Obviously, the problem has popped up even worse now.

I'll try replacing the fuel filter and putting back the 10A fuse.
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:25 PM   #11
Deliverator
CF Newbie

Finishing 'er up.

I hate to say it, but I think this is just over my head. I'm going to take the car to... ... a mechanic. Thanks for all the suggestions.