Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast

SHO Instrument Lights dead

The instrument lights on my 1994 SHO 3.0 MTX (Fuel,Speedo,Tach etc) Have all died. I went into the fuse box first to see if any were dead and they all checked out good. I then checked to see if they were recieving any power and they were. So I went through the labor intensive task of changing the bulbs. That didnt work. The electrical system is grounded corectly. But the dash is still not iluminated. Also the dimmer switch still works so dont try to throw that one at me. I would consider myself competent at mechanical and electrical repairs and if i need help i have ASE Master certified mechanics who are more than willing to help but i enjoy working on my own.
Thank you in advance,
Walt

Last edited by skeetin870 : 12-28-2005 at 11:39 PM.
skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
windman
CF Enthusiast

I guess your on your own then good luck!!!
windman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetin870
The instrument lights on my 1994 SHO 3.0 MTX (Fuel,Speedo,Tach etc) Have all died. I went into the fuse box first to see if any were dead and they all checked out good. I then checked to see if they were recieving any power and they were. So I went through the labor intensive task of changing the bulbs. That didnt work. The electrical system is grounded corectly. But the dash is still not iluminated. Also the dimmer switch still works so dont try to throw that one at me. I would consider myself competent at mechanical and electrical repairs and if i need help i have ASE Master certified mechanics who are more than willing to help but i enjoy working on my own.
Thank you in advance,
Walt
Hmmm. If you're competent and don't need our help, why are you posting this here? Enquiring minds want to know.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:21 AM   #4
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmmm. If you're competent and don't need our help, why are you posting this here? Enquiring minds want to know.

Im posting here because im out of ideas on what it could be im simply looking for some other ideas of what it could be I dont want to bother my mechanic if i think i can fix this my self. When i said i was competent i meant at the actual repairs. I have basic knowledge im just out of ideas. Anyway any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:31 AM   #5
windman
CF Enthusiast

ok
how did you check for voltage at the lights?
at the light itself when you had the insterment panel out?
id check for voltage there at the ribbon cable itself
if indeed there is a ribbon (copper roads between lights ect) for lack of better words to describe the circuit board.
im not familiar with the insterment cluster on those cars
but if there is a ribbon, clean all the contacts with a pencil eraser.check to see if the lights are all on the same circuit (in series) if so if one doesnt make a connection they will all be out
and clean the contacts where the wire harness plug into the cluster
best i can offer since im not familiar with them animals in particular
windman is offline   Reply With Quote