Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

What do you think?

My friend has been looking for a Honda CRX for alittle bit now and today when looking on Autotrader he came across one that he kinda likes:

http://www.trader.ca/SendToFriend/Re...5&adid=4916139

He was wondering how much it would cost for an engine to put into it (gotta ask a friends brother tonight maybe) and if the car would be worth buying and maybe how low to try and talk him with the price.

Please share your opinions on this, just don't flame me or each other. Thanks.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I would suppose it all depends on how many miles are on the engine and how much the labor costs. Personally, I think $1500 is rather steep for an '88 with no engine or rims. Also, how many miles are on it? I'd offer $850-$1000 but no higher than that. You'll be looking at probably another $600-$1500 for a used engine to put in it not including labor.

Oh wait, that's $1500 Canadian....that's about $1290 American (sad), lol. Still too much.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:31 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
My friend has been looking for a Honda CRX for alittle bit now and today when looking on Autotrader he came across one that he kinda likes:

http://www.trader.ca/SendToFriend/Re...5&adid=4916139

He was wondering how much it would cost for an engine to put into it (gotta ask a friends brother tonight maybe) and if the car would be worth buying and maybe how low to try and talk him with the price.

Please share your opinions on this, just don't flame me or each other. Thanks.
Whats the milage on it its not mentioned there.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:32 PM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
I would suppose it all depends on how many miles are on the engine and how much the labor costs. Personally, I think $1500 is rather steep for an '88 with no engine or rims. Also, how many miles are on it? I'd offer $850-$1000 but no higher than that. You'll be looking at probably another $600-$1500 for a used engine to put in it not including labor.

Oh wait, that's $1500 Canadian....that's about $1290 American (sad), lol. Still too much.
Yea but the brakes, conversion, paint, kit, that all costs money too. Lets not forget the actual car. Id take it in a heartbeat.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:36 PM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Really I don't know what the mileage on the rest of the car is, my friend hasn't called yet and the guy won't say anything over MSN.

The labor will be almost free for him as his uncle would do it for the simple cost of a 24 so he's not worried about that. Also another friend of mine, his brother knows where to get cheap ZC engines around here so he could possibly get one of those for the car.

If he got the car he wouldn't really put any money into looks anymore cause it's already been done (unlike if he bought a stock one).

Old 12-17-2005, 11:42 PM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I guess then it all just comes down to the mileage.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:49 PM   #7
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
I guess then it all just comes down to the mileage.
What do you think would be acceptable in that area then?

Not trying to advertise, but apparently this is his site with pics of cars he's done before (as he says he's done many) http://www.bulldog.hr/gs/gotstyle.html (mods can remove this if they consider it advertising).

Quote:
Has Integra dash and panels all power everything working.
oh btw theres a 2.5 exhaust system, teg xdrilled brakes all around, new windsheield, the car has a big brake upgrade all around from an integra as well along with integra working dash and power windows and doorpanels. Some pieces from the interior will not be included (18" enkeis, ctr steering wheel, seats, shift knob, dvd screen and navigation) these can be bought extra. has lowering coilovers, a wingwest polyureathane sides and front kit.. bunch of other lil details im forgetting. Comes with extra hatch too! Needs body work and time for a swap. THERES No ENGINE! Buyers Package Included.

18" enkeis, ctr steering wheel, seats, shift knob, dvd screen and navigation) these can be bought extra.

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 12-18-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:33 AM   #8
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Sounds cool...$1,500 doesn't sound too bad...and if he can get the engine installed for free, I'd take it...
Old 12-18-2005, 02:39 AM   #9
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Yea but the brakes, conversion, paint, kit, that all costs money too. Lets not forget the actual car. Id take it in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't. Mods usually lower the value of a car, especially when they are questionable and experimental. Why not buy a regular CRX with engine included for $2000? This car will likely give you problems.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:01 AM   #10
97Talonchik
discombobulated

....what's this "needs body work" mean? Might want to find out about that too. I don't know what would be acceptable mileage, but my reasoning for saying ask about the mileage is because higher mileage can mean lot of wear and tear on a vehicle. He could buy it, get it home and find out there are more things that need to be fixed besides the engine. Guess you won't know how well it runs until you get the engine in there. Hey, don't listen to me, no one else does, lol.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 AM   #11
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
I do
Old 12-18-2005, 05:00 AM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
I do

Old 12-18-2005, 07:00 AM   #13
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Hey Talonchik, if you weren't worth listening to then I wouldn't keep asking what you thought, I need some help for my friend and your willing to give it to me, so thank you.

Well I got my friend to ask about mileage but apparently the odometer has been switched with the Integra odometer when he swapped dashes, but he's giving the Buyers Package which should should last recorded mileage.

Also, I talked to my friend who talked to his brother and found out he can get a ZC engine (approx. 140HP I'm told) for around $600 and a set of wheels from a 97' Civic for cheap (so brings total of car, engine, wheels to about $2200 and saves all costs of body kit and whatever else my friend wants).

The engine install is not totally free, just the cost of a case of 24 (that's how we Canadians work, lol j/k).

Old 12-18-2005, 07:02 AM   #14
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hey, don't listen to me, no one else does, lol.

Sh*t with two beautiful cars like that in your siggy, you gotta be worth listening to

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:36 AM   #15
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quick question, anyone know if an atv trailer (made for 2 atv's) would be able to hold a CRX with no engine (no more the 1900)? Thanks a lot.