Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
SmileLines
CF Newbie

Smile Teen buying her first car

Hi! I'm 18 and I will be buying my first car within the next month. I'm not going to pretend like I know alot about cars, because I don't. I'm fortunate my dad knows a bit, he's been a mechanic for years and he gave me a few suggestions of cars to buy. He suggested a Toyota Corolla, Mazda Protege, Honda Civic, Hyundai Elantra, among a few others. I was interested in some different opinions on what to consider and what to stay away from. My budget is pretty tight. I have 3,500 dollars saved and my parents can't afford to help me out. I've looked at Edmunds and KBB for pricing and reviews. I'm hoping I can find something decent for my budget. I would prefer to have a smaller sedan that's good on gas and is an automatic. I've been driving my mom's 2001 Hyundai Elantra and I really like how it handles. Any suggestions or tips for when I'm buying would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
SmileLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:15 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

I know this will be a redundant reply to some reading it, but mention to him a Dodge Neon. For 3500 you can get a very decent second gen (2000+). They are good on gas, 4 doors, and should be enough to satisfy you. They handle very well for one thing. They are kinda considered girly cars lol.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:18 AM   #3
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

you could also look at cars.com for what prices things are actually being asked in your area.

my first instinct says to recommend the civic, and secondly the corolla. i'm sure you can find a late '90s model of either of those two cars for your price range. since your father is a mechanic, get him to go with you wherever you go, and have him give the car a quick glance, if not ask the owners of the car if they'll allow him to give the car a worthwhile inspection.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:22 AM   #4
ride3k
CF Addict

yorker's right, the neon is a good car for that price, i dont know about it being girly though. but what you said, id co with a mid to late 90's carolla, good gas, good looks, and a nice little semi-sporty car.

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:32 AM   #5
SmileLines
CF Newbie

~

Actually, I had been thinking about a Neon. I don't know anyone who owns one, so I don't really have an opinion on one. I don't mind if anyone suggests a "girly" car. I'm a girl, so anything "girly" is fine by me!
Old 12-30-2005, 06:35 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileLines
Actually, I had been thinking about a Neon. I don't know anyone who owns one, so I don't really have an opinion on one. I don't mind if anyone suggests a "girly" car. I'm a girl, so anything "girly" is fine by me!
Im a guy that loves a good ammt of speed, and I have a Neon. Great car IMO. If you want I can post a few pictures of it here for you. Mine is a first gen. I can also show you a few eBay listings of the car with lots of pix so you can see if you like it or not.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:40 AM   #7
SmileLines
CF Newbie

~

Quote:
Im a guy that loves a good ammt of speed, and I have a Neon. Great car IMO. If you want I can post a few pictures of it here for you. Mine is a first gen. I can also show you a few eBay listings of the car with lots of pix so you can see if you like it or not.

That would be great.The more info I can get, the better.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileLines
That would be great.The more info I can get, the better.
Tell you what doll I gota run for tonight, but is it OK if I send you this stuff tomorrow by email? Got AIM? Where do you live around so I can give you some local listings? Shoot me an email at russianalex@gmail.com
ttyl
EDIT: Also let me know what kind of info you want. Safety? Performance? Milage? Reliability? I can find most of this stuff for you itl by my annonymous New Years present.
God im pathetic

Old 12-30-2005, 07:08 AM   #9
SmileLines
CF Newbie

~

I just found a 97' Nissan Sentra listed that seemed decent. It only has 63,000 miles on it. Any opinions of this one?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:10 AM   #10
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Other ideas (like the Neon) would probably be either a Chevrolet Cavalier or a Pontiac Sunfire.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:15 AM   #11
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

where? give a link?

but, as a model, the only problem you may have is that the seats are uncomfortable, and it may be a bit sluggish as compared to the elantra you're used to driving.

but as i said before, have your father give it a look. see what he thinks.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:52 AM   #12
SmileLines
CF Newbie

Here's the link...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...6&aff=national

It's a lonnng one.Hehe. There's no picture and they said that there a few scratches. But then again, I don't know anything until I look at it and drive it. A few scratches aren't too big of a deal as long as the thing runs. I'm not in a position to be too choosy. Maybe one day i'll be.lol. I'd love to be able to finish off my mom's payments for the Elantra. But we've already had that discussion and it's a no go.Bummer! I'm definitely taking my dad with me car shopping. I'd be crazy not to. A 18 year old girl with little knowledge of cars and cash in hand. I'm every car dealers dream.lol.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:58 AM   #13
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

i would also suggest paying $24 (i think) for a 30-day unlimited carfax usage, then checking out the carfax report, which will tell if it's been in any accidents or anything else that would discourage you.

$24 now... or hundreds, or thousands later?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:16 AM   #14
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Tell you what doll I gota run for tonight, but is it OK if I send you this stuff tomorrow by email? Got AIM? Where do you live around so I can give you some local listings? Shoot me an email at russianalex@gmail.com
ttyl
EDIT: Also let me know what kind of info you want. Safety? Performance? Milage? Reliability? I can find most of this stuff for you itl by my annonymous New Years present.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
God im pathetic

If you say so.

Anyway. I would go for the civic or corolla. Both are very reliable cars, and if your dad is a mechanic, maintenance shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:18 AM   #15
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

lol, i missed the "doll" part... but yea, newyorker is tryin to get in good with the new girl on the forums.

SmileLines-
dont worry bout him, he's mostly harmless. cept the occasional neon rant.