Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2005, 07:52 AM   #31
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Neons are great on gas. 26MPG city for a 2 liter car compared to your 1.6 and getting just about the same, its really a win for the Neon

My 2.2 liter accord gets about 30

2001 Honda K-1 Accord Attack
GonnaDie4TheGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:44 AM   #32
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95civicdima
I agree that if a bmw breaks down or need repairs it's costly but they are good on gas and have good safety ratings...everyone deserves a little luxury and i think a 325i is great. Neons aren't reliable i was talking about this with someone last week before my trip. I was at a mechanics picking up my grandpa's van and they had a neon lifted. I laughed and the owner gave me a quick look. We started talking about the car we both came to the conclusion that you get what you pay for he payed cheap for the car...and keeps spending on repairs. There are a total of 8 neon's at my school (we get bored in english class and count peoples cars). All of them belong to girls. One of the girls is in my Calc AP class and a few weeks ago someone broke into it and stole stereo out of it.. she kept going on how crappy it is. I dunno i personally don't like them just as i don't like cavaliers. That's just my personal prefrence. I'd recommend something a long the lines of an accord.

I hate to burst your bubble, but she's not going to find a 325i for $3500 post ~1992. Especially not with decent mileage. Even then, it will cost her arms and legs for the repairs. I agree with you about BMWs being great cars, but lets be realistic here. Not everyone can have one.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #33
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
I hate to burst your bubble, but she's not going to find a 325i for $3500 post ~1992. Especially not with decent mileage. Even then, it will cost her arms and legs for the repairs. I agree with you about BMWs being great cars, but lets be realistic here. Not everyone can have one.
Clicky

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:58 PM   #34
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaDie4TheGov
My 2.2 liter accord gets about 30
Want a cookie?
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:27 PM   #35
95civicdima
CF Addict

Quote:

the mistake is i didn't really read all of what she posted. I didn't know a range was $3500, but now that i know that my advice will be to not rush into anything. Take your time save up money cars are very expensive things to have if you have 3500 and wanna buy a car your gonna need more and more just within a month for just nonsense. Hit a target of like 4500 and then ask for some help because 3500 isn't the best range for a reliable car for a girl. good luck though
Old 12-31-2005, 05:49 PM   #36
newyorker
MXman

Removed for the puposes of not going to jail.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Last edited by newyorker : 12-31-2005 at 06:40 PM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:34 PM   #37
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Even then, it will cost her arms and legs for the repairs.
Guess you missed that line hobo. I've looked at the E30 3's, and out of I think 4, maybe 5, every single one has been leaking oil or something else. Even then, they were around 4,000, and the rest of car wasn't in very good shape. Also, those 21 results were located all over the country, she probably dooesn't want to ship the car or drive 500 miles to get it.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:36 PM   #38
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
If you have 4000 to spend, you should always look for cars in the 4500-4750 range because you can bargain your way down. Also a tip to save $$ when you go to the local office to get the paperwork and licence plates transferred, LIE!. If you bought the car for 4000, say you got it for 2000, because they charge you a certain percent, and why pay more when you can pay less? I know that my car was $2500, but we only did the papers as if I bought it for $1250. Saves you 50% on that fee. The licence and tag fees you cant get around, but that really helps. Remember. Budget=4000, the car you look at should be around 4500 because you can bargain your way down from it. You can bargain from 4000 to 3500, but the car thats 4500 will be better than the one for 4000, so youre winning.
Yeah nice one, just hope the IRS doesn't come banging down your door nailing you tax evasion.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:49 PM   #39
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

It seems everyone has made some good suggestions on what to get, so let me suggest what not to get; an Alero. I bought one for a winter car about 6 months ago. Right after I bought it I looked on Carsurvey.org and other websites to see what people had to say (should have done that before ). Alot of people said they were crap, and they were correct. It seems something new breaks every week, and its a 1999 with 70K. There were widespread problems that happened in most of the cars (most people's fans won't work on most settings, gaskets leaking, etc) and GM basically said tough shit and didn't recall much.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:14 PM   #40
windman
CF Enthusiast

get a lincoln or a caddyrack
big backseats
windman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:36 PM   #41
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
It seems everyone has made some good suggestions on what to get, so let me suggest what not to get; an Alero. I bought one for a winter car about 6 months ago. Right after I bought it I looked on Carsurvey.org and other websites to see what people had to say (should have done that before ). Alot of people said they were crap, and they were correct. It seems something new breaks every week, and its a 1999 with 70K. There were widespread problems that happened in most of the cars (most people's fans won't work on most settings, gaskets leaking, etc) and GM basically said tough shit and didn't recall much.
My uncle had one for a while and it was pretty nice, no major problems (unless he did it himself, like sliding into a curb in winter).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:59 PM   #42
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95civicdima
Hit a target of like 4500 and then ask for some help because 3500 isn't the best range for a reliable car for a girl. good luck though

I beg to differ. I got my first car for $3500 and the previous owner babied it. The car ran like a jewel with no problems what so ever. You can find a good reliable car for that price, you just have to know what to look for and not necessarily go with what "looks good" on the outside because that's what all your friends have.

Civics are good cars....if they are taken car of. You have to be cautious of cars like Civic because a lot of teenagers tend to like those cars and dog them out (as I like to say) thinking they are Nascar drivers. My advice, look for an older owner, not a teenager. Ask about service records (I will never ever buy a used car without service records again), look at mileage, ask about previous wrecks and repairs, check the carfax report, if the car is sold "as is" make sure there are no mechanical issues affecting the car, have the car checked out by a mechanic before buying.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:15 PM   #43
SmileLines
CF Newbie

~

My dad and I went yesterday to look at a few different lots. Mostly everything was out of my price range, and they kept assuming that I could afford a a 10,000 dollar car and that my dad was going to pay for it. Umm, no....

One lot we went to, the dealer asked what my price range was and he said to follow him. So we followed him past all the newer cars, past a large dumpster and then through a rusty chain link fence behind the dealership. He pointed to a 94' Honda Civic that had been side swiped, had a large crack in the windshield, a large vine growing over the trunk and two flat tires. He then said " Here's a nice Civic that would be perfect for you, hon! I'll let ya'll have it $3000!"

Needless to say, we left. We got a good laugh though. I'd rather go with a private seller, so I've been looking in the newspaper and our local autotrader.
I know about Carfax, we always make sure to get our cars checked out before we buy. I'm also aware of insurance and gas. I'll be paying for it. I can't really save anymore money right now because I'm not working. The place I was working in the summer was only seasonal work and the only reason I was able to get there was because my mom and brother work there also. So I need to buy a car first, before I can get another job.

I already know to steer clear of a BMW, because of parts being so expensive. My dad said he could make the repairs, but the pricey parts are whats going to hurt my budget.

My dad also said to try to get a car that's at least 94' or older because the freon is alot cheaper than previous years. I can't afford expensive freon. I'll be using my AC all the time, considering I live in Florida and it's hot and humid here most of the time.

You guys really don't think a Neon's a good idea? I'll keep that in mind.I don't like the headlights on them anyways. I'd definitely like to have a Corolla or an Elantra. Elantra's are a little out of my range.If I got one I'd want a newer one,(99' and up) because the newer ones have better ratings. But, I doubt I'll find one in my price range that's in good condition. I also like Jettas, but those are hard to find in my area, unless they are newer. Oh yeah, and I don't want to have to drive over 100 miles to get a car or have one shipped.

I'll just have to look around and hope I find something. It may not be the exact car I want. But once I start working again, I can start saving towards a better car. Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys are awesome. If you have any more, feel free to post.

Quote:
get a lincoln or a caddyrack
big backseats

Hey now! I'm not that type of girl!lol
SmileLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:28 PM   #44
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Guess you missed that line hobo. I've looked at the E30 3's, and out of I think 4, maybe 5, every single one has been leaking oil or something else. Even then, they were around 4,000, and the rest of car wasn't in very good shape. Also, those 21 results were located all over the country, she probably dooesn't want to ship the car or drive 500 miles to get it.
No, I'm quite capable of reading. Just because the Bimmers you've seen in that price range may be shit, doesn't mean they all are. As for your pointless remark about them being all over the country, my only response is no shit. Unless you have some secret information, I don't see where she's mentioned her location. She might be on the other side of the world, or one of those cars might be right next door to her. Do you know? I sure don't.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:32 PM   #45
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileLines
My dad also said to try to get a car that's at least 94' or older because the freon is alot cheaper than previous years. I can't afford expensive freon. I'll be using my AC all the time, considering I live in Florida and it's hot and humid here most of the time.

she did though...

that, and the link to a car on cars.com she posted yesterday was in florida. it's invalid now, so i dunno what part of florida. (i saw it yesterday though... meh)
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote