Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2006, 02:33 AM   #1
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

Buy or not to buy

I would to see if you think a ford torino is a good start for a project car. The one im looking at is on eBay for a little over 1000. the url to check out the car is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

anyways the car is a salvage, believed to be a 302 engine with vin#OR34F167740. The cars condition is below average. I have less than 2 years of auto mechanic and I can afford most tools and parts; I have my dads technician that can help me with electrical and already have tools to finish most interior and the engine would post the most challenge. I would like your opinions on which would be the best choice- to buy it or not to buy it? Thanks for your response.

Last edited by nightroad : 01-01-2006 at 02:47 AM.
nightroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Miles seem a little high for a car that you will restore. If you want to sell it afterwards then I dont know how many people would buy a car with that many miles (I know nothing about the classic car scene so dont even bother with me). I am simply saying that if it was me, I wouldnt do it.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:37 AM   #3
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Looks like a great buy to me. Any car that is complete and in somewhat "running" condition is worth $1000 in my book. And that looks to be a good choice for a first restoration project, mainly because it is not one of the "high profile" cars most try to go after like the Camaros, Chargers, Mustang FB, ect. I do see a little rust in the bottom corner of the passenger side door....but that shouldn't be too hard to fix....It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the 1/4's dont look too bad.

And to the "too many miles" comment...Never mind that, NO one cares about miles on a car 30+ year-old that they are about to "restore". Maybe if it were some rare optioned car that had "documented" low miles it would matter...Besides if it actually is 156000 miles that seems low to me.