Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

What will happen to a car if you use an octane too low?

Hey I'm just posting for a "Friend" here. He has been filling his car with 89 octane since August... he jsut recently found out the gas mileage problems were caused because his car requires 92 octane. He is wondering what damage could have been done filling up the car with the lower octane since August. Thanks

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Hey I'm just posting for a "Friend" here. He has been filling his car with 89 octane since August... he jsut recently found out the gas mileage problems were caused because his car requires 92 octane. He is wondering what damage could have been done filling up the car with the lower octane since August. Thanks
If the octane of your fuel is lower than required based on the engine's compression ratio, you'll get knocking (or combustion of the fuel before the spark). As for what damage this does to the engine (apart from inefficiencies).... you'd have to talk to the mechanics here.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Apparently the DOHC neon takes at least 92 and I didnt know that because everyone convincedme it was a POS so I thought it took the 89 octane gas. The car wasnt running very smoothly, nor was it performing well. A few days ago I put premium in and what a difference it made. The engine is smoother, feels more powerful, and its quieter. Does anyone know EXACTLY whre I can find this information about what gas my car needs. I dont have an Owners manual.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Apparently the DOHC neon takes at least 92 and I didnt know that because everyone convincedme it was a POS so I thought it took the 89 octane gas. The car wasnt running very smoothly, nor was it performing well. A few days ago I put premium in and what a difference it made. The engine is smoother, feels more powerful, and its quieter. Does anyone know EXACTLY whre I can find this information about what gas my car needs. I dont have an Owners manual.

Some cars theres a sticker behind the gas door.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Some cars theres a sticker behind the gas door.
Yea I checked but it just says "Unleaded Fuel Only"

Old 01-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
ride3k
CF Addict

that means you only rele need 89 or 90, cuz 91+ is called premium. not saying you cant put it in, but it is more expensive and it can increase performance

edit: check your owners manual to, it will say the actuall octane and cetane rating you nedd there

later ill get my manual if no1 gets it and show you what i mean

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride3k
that means you only rele need 89 or 90, cuz 91+ is called premium. not saying you cant put it in, but it is more expensive and it can increase performance

edit: check your owners manual to, it will say the actuall octane and cetane rating you nedd there

later ill get my manual if no1 gets it and show you what i mean
I know it says it in the manual I even asked on a Neon forum, but i dont have the manual for myself.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Problem Solved

This is directly from carsuvey

I really have had no problems with this car. My only complaints are: 1. A sound that comes from the passenger side window at high speed, this can be fixed by removing the antenna, 2. It tends to lose power over 8,000 feet (I live in Colorado).

I love the acceleration, I have made very few modifications, I changed the air filter to a Fram AirHog, and added a sport racing chip. Now I do 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, and I can outrun a Camero anytime.

The simple design makes installing aftermarket parts very easy, even for someone with no mechanical knowledge (like me).

I have heard that DOHC neons don't run well after 40000 miles. I think these people are just not using the right gas. You have to put 91 octane or higher in this car. I also put "STP Octane Boost" in every time I gas up. Regular oil and coolant checks are also needed.

The car handles very well. I wouldn't try power sliding without 17" drift rims and a lower suspension though.

I feel sorry for all the people with faulty neons. But you have to realize that if one or two thousand neons break down, that doesn't mean all 135,000 of them are bad.

I really like the part thats underlined

Also this is from some site

Some vehicles, such as Viper, Prowler, 5.9L Grand Cherokee, 2.0L Turbo Talon, and 2.0L DOHC Neon have been specifically designed to take advantage of higher octane.These vehicles may have higher compression ratios, and/or more aggressive spark calibrations which provide optimum performance with the specified higher octane

Old 01-02-2006, 02:51 AM   #9
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

well, i'd take that with a grain of salt. they say "I wouldn't try power sliding without 17" drift rims".

power sliding in a front wheel drive? that is impossible. you can drift, but not power slide. power sliding, by definition, requires the car to be pushed from the rear.

if they're wrong about one thing, it should be seen as possible that they're wrong about other stuff too.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:29 AM   #10
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
well, i'd take that with a grain of salt. they say "I wouldn't try power sliding without 17" drift rims".

power sliding in a front wheel drive? that is impossible. you can drift, but not power slide. power sliding, by definition, requires the car to be pushed from the rear.

if they're wrong about one thing, it should be seen as possible that they're wrong about other stuff too.
Yea but clearly thats not the only source that shows what im talking about. I will get a service manual and show you all.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:06 AM   #11
Mk3golfer
CF Enthusiast

I'm so glad we dont have this problem in the UK, we only have premium or super, premium generally being 95 octane, and super being 97... i run mine on optimax, lovely stuff!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:24 AM   #12
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

I heard if you put sugar in your petrol tank everytime you fill up it raises the octane level.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #13
Mk3golfer
CF Enthusiast

lol...

i seriously need a hobby
Old 01-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #14
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Yea but clearly thats not the only source that shows what im talking about. I will get a service manual and show you all.

I'll show you all! You'll rue the day you ever dissed the NEON! Mwahahaha
Old 01-02-2006, 09:58 PM   #15
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
I'll show you all! You'll rue the day you ever dissed the NEON! Mwahahaha
And youll shut your hole because you have nothing productive to say here.