Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2006, 02:31 AM   #1
pinkmonkeyflowe
CF Newbie

Is a malibu always a chevelle?

I am looking to find a car to restore this year and would like to find my first car which I thought was a 1977 Malibu Classic. When I looked for it I saw both 1977 Chevelle Malibu's and just plain Malibu Classics. Also the 1977 is too square to be the car I remember. My car was more rounded so I'm guessing it was an earlier version. I am having a hard time finding information so I can re-find my car.

I would like to start by being able to look for the correct name of the car. Is a Malibu always a Chevelle?

Ps. the car I had had a bumper that extended from the car and in all the pictures I've seen online, the Malibu didn't start having a bumper until after 1972. Am I correct?

Thank you,

Bobbie Jo
pinkmonkeyflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
adamc44
CF Freak

chevy wnet from the big body malibus to the square bodys in 78. if ur lookin for a 77 malibu anything from 74-77 will be close to the same. 73 will have a similiar bumper with no metal backing and 72 on down will have a thin bumper with no metal bakcing.

this is a 78

ive got pics of a 72 somewhere, belongs to my grandmaw and im still trying to buy it off of her

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

Last edited by adamc44 : 01-02-2006 at 06:51 AM.
adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #3
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmonkeyflowe
I would like to start by being able to look for the correct name of the car. Is a Malibu always a Chevelle?

i believe that a chevelle is always a malibu and that the malibu is the base model of that series...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
i believe that a chevelle is always a malibu and that the malibu is the base model of that series...
The Chevelle is the base model, the Malibu is the tarted up version. That holds true only for the RWD models, the late model FWD versions are just Malibus.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
The Chevelle is the base model, the Malibu is the tarted up version. That holds true only for the RWD models, the late model FWD versions are just Malibus.

that's what i said :surreptitiously editing previous post:

Old 01-04-2006, 01:46 AM   #6
76MonteMan
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmonkeyflowe
I am looking to find a car to restore this year and would like to find my first car which I thought was a 1977 Malibu Classic. When I looked for it I saw both 1977 Chevelle Malibu's and just plain Malibu Classics. Also the 1977 is too square to be the car I remember. My car was more rounded so I'm guessing it was an earlier version. I am having a hard time finding information so I can re-find my car.

Ps. the car I had had a bumper that extended from the car and in all the pictures I've seen online, the Malibu didn't start having a bumper until after 1972. Am I correct?

Thank you,

Bobbie Jo

1973-1977 Chevelle's have a similar body style to my 76 Monte Carlo. I'm a little confused on what the proper name is for that car too. I've heard that the Chevelle nameplate was dropped after 1973 and just replaced with Malibu Classic and Laguna, BUT all 73-77 Malibu's are often referred to as a Chevelle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamc44
if ur lookin for a 77 malibu anything from 74-77 will be close to the same. 73 will have a similiar bumper with no metal backing and 72 on down will have a thin bumper with no metal bakcing.

1973 was the first year for the 5 mph impact bumper regulation (the massive metal reinforcement behind the chrome bumper) and the new body style, not 1974. All 1973 thru 1977 GM A-bodies were similar in body style... The Chevelle, El Camino, Monte Carlo, Regal, Cutlass, Grand Prix, Grand Am, LeMans, CanAm (1977 only), Century, GTO (1973 only), GMC Sprint, etc. I'm sure there are a few more, but I can't think of them off hand.

Dustin Denner
Owner: 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Landau
1/4 mile ET: 14.45 seconds @ 94.37 MPH
0-60 MPH: 5.71 seconds
76MonteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:33 AM   #7
adamc44
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76MonteMan
1973 was the first year for the 5 mph impact bumper regulation (the massive metal reinforcement behind the chrome bumper) and the new body style, not 1974. All 1973 thru 1977 GM A-bodies were similar in body style... The Chevelle, El Camino, Monte Carlo, Regal, Cutlass, Grand Prix, Grand Am, LeMans, CanAm (1977 only), Century, GTO (1973 only), GMC Sprint, etc. I'm sure there are a few more, but I can't think of them off hand.

it might have been the first year for those regulations, but i know for a fact that a 73 malibu doesnt have the big ass bumpers as a friend has one waiting to derby it. it looks like it but it doesnt have the metal backing on it like your monte does. 74-77 was the big ass hundred pound bumpers. this one has a small amount of metal backing.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:01 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
it might have been the first year for those regulations, but i know for a fact that a 73 malibu doesnt have the big ass bumpers as a friend has one waiting to derby it. it looks like it but it doesnt have the metal backing on it like your monte does. 74-77 was the big ass hundred pound bumpers. this one has a small amount of metal backing.
Before you say you know something for a fact, make sure it is. '73 was and always has been most assuredly the first year for the big bumper Chevelles. CLICKY

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:11 AM   #9
76MonteMan
CF Newbie

Quote:

Please check out the September, 2004 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines. There is a 73 Chevelle featured on pages 16-23.

Quote taken from page 20- "Mid-1970s styling is often derided for the huge bumpers required to meet federal crash regulations. Joe's Chevelle has those big bumpers, accentuated with verticle bumper guards that were optional equipment."

Dustin Denner
Owner: 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Landau
1/4 mile ET: 14.45 seconds @ 94.37 MPH
0-60 MPH: 5.71 seconds
76MonteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:02 AM   #10
adamc44
CF Freak

give me time ill get pictures......geesh

Old 01-05-2006, 02:17 AM   #11
dodger65

i believe that in '73, cars had to meet a 5 mph standard for the front, but not the rear. for '74 it was both bumpers...

Old 01-05-2006, 02:53 AM   #12
adamc44
CF Freak

i was at my buddies junkyard awhile back dropping off a junk car and i noticed he had a malilibu put back. i thought it was a 74+ because it looked like one exactly like one. after crawling up under it it had the c channel frame in the back and i went to check the bumper and it looked identical to the 74s. well i crawled up under it and it was no where close to a 74. 73s had bumper shocks but the bumper aint worth crap(i pay close attention on it cause i was like hey we will have to change it when we derby it) . i know what ya guys are thinkin but im dead set positive that the backing aint the same. just the chrome. i have a 74 i took off an elcamino. monte carlos in 73 are the same way as are most gms impalas caprices buicks olds..well not the 73 olds...but all other gms in 73 the bumpers suck. 74-76 dont bend.

Last edited by adamc44 : 01-05-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #13
adamc44
CF Freak

i just took pics today but im having trouble getting them to load on my computer. hopefully will have them posted soon.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #14
adamc44
CF Freak

73 bumper.......

my batteries were close to dying on the backing picture and it didnt take. i will update it this weekend.

but anyways...hope ya guys understand what i was talkin about.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Actually that was true in a lot of cases. The '73 models of a lot of cars had lighter duty bumpers but had bumper shocks added, or larger bumper guards. '74s got larger bumpers across the board for most models (except some older Euros that still used larger overriders, like the 914). In the case of these cars, the body was restyled for '73, but the bumpers only superficially looked the same between the '73 and '74 versions.

You can see this in the difference between other cars like the '72-74 Pintos and '73-75 Porsche 911. In the Pinto's case, the bumpers themselves were the same between the '72 and '73, but the '73s had hydraulic rams and stuck out an inch or so farther. '74s got a much larger beam bumper. The Porsche's had bumpers that looked like the '66-up in '73, and '74 went to the larger taller squared off bumpers, then in '75, they got larger bumper overriders which stayed with them for a decade.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote