Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2004, 04:06 PM   #1
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Interference vs. Non-Interference engines

Good morning folks,

Does anyone know of a website that I can go to and look up various vehicles and engines to determine if they are interference or not? I've been looking but no luck yet. Thanks!
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Good morning folks,

Does anyone know of a website that I can go to and look up various vehicles and engines to determine if they are interference or not? I've been looking but no luck yet. Thanks!
Hmmm. Try Gates (as in belts). I seem to recall seeing that somewhere on there site.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
I am so f*cking smart sometimes. Here is a chart listing interference engines that run belts. Good luck finding a truly comprehensive listing online.

http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...TOKEN=90780336
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I am so f*cking smart sometimes. Here is a chart listing interference engines that run belts. Good luck finding a truly comprehensive listing online.

http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...TOKEN=90780336

Here I go again. What exactly is a interference engine vs. non inteference ?
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Here I go again. What exactly is a interference engine vs. non inteference ?
Very simple grasshopper. An interference engine is one where the valves when open will touch the pistons at TDC such as when the camshaft timing is out of sync. This could occur if the timing belt or chain breaks, is incorrectly timed or someone is moving the cam or crank with the engine not fully assembled. Obviously a non-interference engine won't do this.

Keep in mind this is for a stock engine. Modifications such as changing the valve timing, valve lift or compression ratio can and does turn some non-interference engines into interference engines.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Very simple grasshopper. An interference engine is one where the valves when open will touch the pistons at TDC such as when the camshaft timing is out of sync. This could occur if the timing belt or chain breaks, is incorrectly timed or someone is moving the cam or crank with the engine not fully assembled. Obviously a non-interference engine won't do this.

Keep in mind this is for a stock engine. Modifications such as changing the valve timing, valve lift or compression ratio can and does turn some non-interference engines into interference engines.

Okie Dokie, I understand interference engines now. Maybe I don't have the need for you to go into non-interference (little confused). BUT, if you want to elaborate on the later, I would be more than happy to read, Hell, someone else may too. I know how much you love to type
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:55 PM   #7
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Thank you VWHOBO.....I could not find any comprehensive listings either but I am going to check this out right now. Again, thanks for your help and thanks for saving me the effort of explaining what Interference and N on-I are.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:10 AM   #8
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Ok VWHOBO,

I went to that chart and it has a ton of info, but I am looking to see if a 1996 Pontiac Grand AM 2.4L 4-cylinder has an interference engine. This listing cannot be found on this PDF. Do you know if that motor is Interference? Thank you!
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:21 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Ok VWHOBO,

I went to that chart and it has a ton of info, but I am looking to see if a 1996 Pontiac Grand AM 2.4L 4-cylinder has an interference engine. This listing cannot be found on this PDF. Do you know if that motor is Interference? Thank you!
Well, if you would have just asked the question you wanted answered it would have saved us all a lot of time. Is dealing with the sudden influx of dipshits getting to you... Like maybe rubbing off.

The simple answer to that simple question is affirmative.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:18 PM   #10
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Well I have a few engines I wanted to look at so that is why I wanted the listing. The immediate need though was for the 96 G/A. So thank you for your answer, I figured it was. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Well, if you would have just asked the question you wanted answered it would have saved us all a lot of time. Is dealing with the sudden influx of dipshits getting to you... Like maybe rubbing off.

The simple answer to that simple question is affirmative.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:20 PM   #11
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Vw,

You ever done them on that DOHC engine, the 2.4L? I am sure you have, are they a M/f'r to do? Looks like it due to clearance. Was thinking of losing the passenger motor mount and passenger tire and inner fender liner that covers the crank pulley, etc. I want to do it preventativly and prolly throw a water pump at it while I am in there, what do you think? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Well I have a few engines I wanted to look at so that is why I wanted the listing. The immediate need though was for the 96 G/A. So thank you for your answer, I figured it was. Thanks again!
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:36 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Vw,

You ever done them on that DOHC engine, the 2.4L? I am sure you have, are they a M/f'r to do? Looks like it due to clearance. Was thinking of losing the passenger motor mount and passenger tire and inner fender liner that covers the crank pulley, etc. I want to do it preventativly and prolly throw a water pump at it while I am in there, what do you think? Thanks!
You would be correct in your assessment. Mechanically and technically it's a very straightforward job. Clearance IS the issue. Just take yor time and walk away when you get pissed off, and you will get pissed of.

It's a good call to replace the water pump while you're there and just in case you did, don't forget to replace the tensioner and guides a well. You can get the whole set for just a little more than the chain alone.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #13
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Chain? huh WHAT? coming from my pro?

Oh god I KNOW I will get pissed off. I will have to try not to start throwing things, LOL.... I will end up saying to that car more times that I have hairs on my head because I have already looked at it and figured that with the motor mount gone, I will have to raise and lower the engine numerous times to get to all the bolts, etc. Mechanically it is easy. Oh, in your posting you said "chain?" I take it you meant belt? I just had to get on you for that one based on your "proper terminology" arguements.
Thanks for the help and info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You can get the whole set for just a little more than the chain alone.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:24 PM   #14
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Whoops

Vwhobo,

Before you land blast me, let me correct myself. I "thought" that 2.4L had a timing belt but it DOES has a chain. I thought you just mis-spoke when you said "chain" in your previous posting to me because I have refered to the "belt" in all of my postings. Well hell, if it has a chain; I only have 50-55K on the engine; She isn't coming apart then unless I start having a water pump problem. Screw that, I thought I had a belt and was going to preventatively replace it here in the near future, esp. being an interference engine. Thanks for the help and again, my bad, I thought youoff when in fact, I did not realize I had a chain BUT the dealer confirmed it for me. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Oh god I KNOW I will get pissed off. I will have to try not to start throwing things, LOL.... I will end up saying to that car more times that I have hairs on my head because I have already looked at it and figured that with the motor mount gone, I will have to raise and lower the engine numerous times to get to all the bolts, etc. Mechanically it is easy. Oh, in your posting you said "chain?" I take it you meant belt? I just had to get on you for that one based on your "proper terminology" arguements.
Thanks for the help and info.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:03 PM   #15
DonTom
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South San Francisco
Posts: 1
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Good morning folks,

Does anyone know of a website that I can go to and look up various vehicles and engines to determine if they are interference or not? I've been looking but no luck yet. Thanks!

There is a list for timing belts at:

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...ocation_id=540

But does naybody know of such a website for timing CHAINS? My 1988 Beretta (2.3 L V-6) just broke a timing chain and I was wondering if it might be worth me reparing. No way if it needs valves too! It died at freeway speeds! At least that is what I think is wrong as the starter now spins so fast as if no load at all. I assume there is no compression. Does GM still use those silly nylon sprockets?
-Don-
DonTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.