Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #31
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
the neon
I was just waiting for someone to say it. Its all opinion, so I dont really care. I dont even know what you drive so meh.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #32
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
As for the PT, ANY car thati] had a waiting list for two years and exceeded production predictions by double for many years on the basis of it's style cannot be ugly by definition, whether some ignorant teenage kid thinks it is or not.

Millions have downloaded Paris Hilton's sex tape. That doesn't make her hot
Old 01-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #33
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
THAT doesnt...but she is.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #34
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Lol, so true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
THAT doesnt...but she is.
Now THATS opinion.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #35
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Lol, so true.

Now THATS opinion.
Youre saying as if you dont agree?

Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #36
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Youre saying as if you dont agree?
I personally do not find her to be very attractive.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:16 PM   #37
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
I personally do not find her to be very attractive.

Yeah I think she needs to put on 20 pounds
Old 01-04-2006, 12:31 AM   #38
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1/9-rally
Yeah I think she needs to put on 20 pounds

I think she needs to put on a different face
Old 01-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #39
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazziecarl
Can i just say one thing. Why do people always pick at things like this? Maybe he has spelling problems (i know i have) and im not trying to offend him by saying he 'might' have spelling problems because he might not!!

Maybe everyone would get along better if certain people on here, didn't bother picking at little things like spelling.

CHILL-OUT

so instead of pointing out peoples' mistakes so they can learn and improve, we should ignore the mistakes and condone ignorance? if i were to make a mistake, i'd much rather find out from someone here than at work or somewhere else where it would really matter...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:42 AM   #40
newyorker
MXman

To STiman, Pontiacfan27, and x1/9-rally

Id still tap that...you wouldnt?

Old 01-04-2006, 12:47 AM   #41
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

So, using your example, if a lot of people LIKE something, then it must be bad. What does that make something the public doesn't like? Since a lot of peole dint' like teh Aztek, it must be good?

Or to put it another way, If I were to say Ferrari's were definitely the ugliest cars made, there would be no way you could prove me wrong, such as their overall desireability, or the fact that people bought them for style as much as performance, right?

What do you think the response would be if someone came on here and started a thread saying that all Ferrari's were extremely ugly? Or All Chevelles, or all Trans Ams, or all old GTOs? How do you think those opinions would be recieved, and how do you think the person stating them would be thought of? We've HAD exapmles of this, and many of the people defending having opinions in THIS thread are the same people telling others they are idiots for making statements of opinion in OTHER threads!

The point is that threads like this are designed and started to specifically be insulting, not as gateways to intelligent discussion of opposing viewpoints. Period. So why do you all get surprised if you get insulted in return? It always amuses my how some people get angry when I post my opinion of them, but they have no problem posting negative opinions to start with. It's like THEY can post negative opinions about everything else, but don't want to be on the recieving end, themselves. That's hypocritical, and I'll continue to insult people in return until they realize it.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:50 AM   #42
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
The point is that threads like this are designed and started to specifically be insulting, not as gateways to intelligent discussion of opposing viewpoints. Period. So why do you all get surprised if you get insulted in return? It always amuses my how some people get angry when I post my opinion of them, but they have no problem posting negative opinions to start with. It's like THEY can post negative opinions about everything else, but don't want to be on the recieving end, themselves. That's hypocritical, and I'll continue to insult people in return until they realize it.

Ditto.
Even though I know I am guilty of it myself.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #43
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhains
This thread is all about opinion. And if you like it or not I think the karman ghia is the one of the ugliest car ever produced. As stated earlier this is opinion and here's mine.

And why, when you express an opinion, is it more important to whine about having your opinion questioned than it is to intelligently SUPPORT your opinion?

If you don't want to look like a simpleton, support your opinion intelligently. It's EASY to do. I asked you what is your frame of reference to make that statement?" If you can't answer it, your a f*cking RETARD.

Why? Because unlike, say, preference in color, liking/disliking the lines of cars is a learned response, not a natural one. Cars aren't natural. You have to LEARN to like or dislike them. So, the question is really how did you LEARN to think they are ugly or not?

The main reason people don't want to answer questions like this and try to enter into intelligent discourse (where opposing opinions would be considered valid) is that they KNOW their reasons are stupid. And they'd rather whine about their opinions not being allowed than show that their reasoning is unsupportable and factually stupid. Or that they are in fact simpletons that are incapable of learning.

If you don't want people to listen to or value your opinions, then don't post them! If you DO wan't people to respect your opinion, support them with some intelligent discourse on how you arrived at that opinion! If you merely state an insulting opinion and then don't want to learn anything, then don't bitch about getting insulted in return! Pretty simple.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 01-04-2006, 01:15 AM   #44
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

well, using the pt cruiser/production # ugly/not ugly formula, '71 hemi cuda converts must be pretty ugly, what w/ about 7 being made...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:34 AM   #45
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
well, using the pt cruiser/production # ugly/not ugly formula, '71 hemi cuda converts must be pretty ugly, what w/ about 7 being made...

Depends, did they fail to sell because the magazines said they were ugly, and teh amrketplace said they were ugly, or was it because mopar limited them?

The PT sold becasue most of the buyers said they loved the style. If it was strictly for practicality, then the Aztek should have sold in similar numbers.

The comment wasn't that it sold in large numbers, but WHY it sold, how FAST it sold out, and how many enthusaistic owners clubs were formed. The comments were to get people to THINK about it, not just have a retarded knee jerk reaction in opposition. The Camry sells more cars annually, but are there huge Camry owners clubs with worldwide Camry owners meets? Are there waiting lists for Camrys due to their style?

The Aztek was well built (one of the best built cars GM was making at the time). It was practical (more practical that the PT). And it was over $10k cheaper than the Pontiac minivan it was based on. But even at fire sale prioces, Pontiac could not even move a tenth of them than the PT, and less than a third of their projected annual sales. Why? Because it was universally panned for being unattractive, and even the owners who loved it STATED thet they loved it in spite of it's looks (in fact, I LIKE the Aztek as a vehicle, and was considering buying one. But not because I thought it was attractive in stock form). If the PT were truly ugly, then it should/would have suffered the same fate, as, like the Aztek, it had mainstream competition (the Vibe/Matrix, Mazda P5, and others). Any car that would truly have been the ugliest car WOULD have suffered the same fate. The fact that it didn't means emprically that it WASN"T the ugliest car out there, by a LONG shot.

Remember, ugly/beauty, especially with cars, is a LEARNED response. So when you STATE an extreme like this, back it up with how you learned that particular response. And yes, it is also a societal response (beauty is percieved differently in different cultures) so by definition, beauty is based on popularity of opinion. By definition, if more people in the culture define whatever as beautiful than don't, then it is indeed beautiful.

www.midatlantic7s.com