Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Community Central > Feedback & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2006, 01:47 AM   #16
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
One thing to improve it is to teach Cliffy what the definition of advertising is...

It'd be funny if it weren't so true.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:45 AM   #17
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
One thing to improve it is to teach Cliffy what the definition of advertising is...

Ok....care to define? numb nuts

As I'm sure I've said before, we use our descretion.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #18
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy

As I'm sure I've said before, we use our descretion.

Discretion.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 01-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #19
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Okay, if people really want to make CF better here is what needs to be done.

Honestly, this is the worst run forum I'm on. And it's not the regular staff's fault at all. The problem is, we have an admin that does absolutely nothing. He pays the bills to keep this place running, but other than that does nothing at all to maintain the operations here.

We need admins that actually do things, and more than one of them. It gets tiring to see the same trolls again and again because the staff can't do anything.

I like this forum, and I like the way the rules are set up too. But when it is time to lay down the law this forum's current methods just aren't working. I heard a staff member (can't remember which one) say that it is difficult for the super moderators to permanently ban anyone. (or something like that). The advert-alert system really cut down on the unwanted posts, now what we need is a better way to deal with the unwanted members.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 AM   #20
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Okay, if people really want to make CF better here is what needs to be done.

Honestly, this is the worst run forum I'm on. And it's not the regular staff's fault at all. The problem is, we have an admin that does absolutely nothing. He pays the bills to keep this place running, but other than that does nothing at all to maintain the operations here.

We need admins that actually do things, and more than one of them. It gets tiring to see the same trolls again and again because the staff can't do anything.

I like this forum, and I like the way the rules are set up too. But when it is time to lay down the law this forum's current methods just aren't working. I heard a staff member (can't remember which one) say that it is difficult for the super moderators to permanently ban anyone. (or something like that). The advert-alert system really cut down on the unwanted posts, now what we need is a better way to deal with the unwanted members.

What if we had a seperate Section for advertisements alone, would that possibly help? I think so. Also about no othr forum I am on is there advertisement bans... And there are only an occasional few believe it or not. Then again this IS the first forum to pop up in yahoo when you type in Car-Forum.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:05 AM   #21
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

I already have, many times...

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showt...ht=advertising

Quote:
Sorry Chris, but I'm with Bav on this (to an extent).....As I wrote in the rules, you should copy/paste any info found on another website rather than link us to it....However, I guess if that's not possible it may not be deemed as advertising to all, if you link us to a site

That's not how it's done on ANY major site, including ones that have pretty strict non-advertising rules. Advertising, by definiton, is about soliciting, not about helping in response. Maybe you ought to look up the definition of solicitation.

the fact that we have so many questions about it shows that there's a disconnect somewhere. the fact that people like me have an issue with your definition, and not just people who have had their spam links removed, shows that there's a disconnect, and that disconnect, I'm sad to say, is with the admin and moderators of this site.

I just happen to completely disagree not only with your action on this issue, but specifically with your statement in support of that action, i.e. that ANY WWW link other than CarForums.com is advertising. That's logically BS, and I'm calling you out on it, as I believe you're intelligent enough to see the difference, including being able to see how it's done on other major automotive sites that don't allow advertising (of which I'm a member of, and in at least one case, that I'm a moderator for).

And lastly, as I said in that thread:

Quote:

I've posted long articles. No one wants to read them in this form. And again, how long does it take to copy/paste a thread on another forum with numerous answers to a question, or has teh answer given out in chunks by numerous people? it's easier to just link to the discussion that answers the question.

Remember the stink about Hobo copy/pasting things from other sites? Well, by giving a link to that information, you're not accused of plagerizing.

AND, often the answer or the info in an article takes more than this software allows for character count.

Let's use a little common sense about motives, ok? Someone trying to draw people away from this site could be considered advertising. Posting a link to an informative thread on another forum, or even another forum itself (like the RR forum links we needed to give out) in answer to a reasonable question is NOT.

And to add to that, posting a link to a thread in another forum where you have attached pictures of your car is no more advertising that posting to a page on CarDomain where you have pictures and story about your car posted.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:07 AM   #22
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
What if we had a seperate Section for advertisements alone, would that possibly help? I think so.

Not with the spam bots that advertise in every section. You've seen the ones where identical threads are started in multiple secions of CF...

I see no problem with removing actual advertising (solicititaion for gain), but a real problem with saying ANYTHING on another forum is advertising, especially things like our new member with the Trans Am linking to where his pictures were already posted.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:43 AM   #23
newyorker
MXman

As far as advertising, the kids pictures of the Fairlady Z were removed because they linked to a page somewhere. Isnt it honestly better to have a link than flood the sight's bandwith with images?
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:49 AM   #24
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I only have a problem with the smilies, and with the ads...Even if it leads to another Forum, none of the constant members would leave this one for it...
Old 01-06-2006, 03:39 AM   #25
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I only have a problem with the smilies, and with the ads...Even if it leads to another Forum, none of the constant members would leave this one for it...
Seriously. They might be there as well, but they wont leave. And if they do, less work for the mods to do.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:42 AM   #26
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
What if we had a seperate Section for advertisements alone, would that possibly help? I think so. Also about no othr forum I am on is there advertisement bans... And there are only an occasional few believe it or not. Then again this IS the first forum to pop up in yahoo when you type in Car-Forum.
It would totally defeat the object if we were to introduce an Advertisment board. It would just be somewhere for the fly by night members to post their ads before leaving. It would just be a waste of space. I understand that it's an on going problem, but lets face it, they'd only post their ads in the wrong place anyway

I understand what you're saying Chris, really I do. But half the time, members who post links are slyly advertising. And by being strict about it, means there's no misunderstanding

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:16 PM   #27
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
I understand what you're saying Chris, really I do. But half the time, members who post links are slyly advertising. And by being strict about it, means there's no misunderstanding

That makes almost no sense I have seen maybe 2 actually REAL members who post and contribute to this forum try that. And 2 IF that. All the others are people wiht 40 posts who try to "slyly" do it. I would love to see some facts to support this idea. And facts not opinion that they were trying to slyly do it.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #28
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

No one else thinks we need admins that actually do things?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #29
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
No one else thinks we need admins that actually do things?

No we do but that seems closer to a dream rather than something attainable

Old 01-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #30
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
No we do but that seems closer to a dream rather than something attainable
Ive asked to mod since 6000