Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2006, 07:58 AM   #61
BluesMan
CF Newbie

Hobo

Quote:
It's been done to me before, and almost cost me my marriage. Drop it.

Have you ever considered that maybe you being an arrogant dickhead is what almost cost you your marriage?
BluesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #62
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesMan
Have you ever considered that maybe you being an arrogant dickhead is what almost cost you your marriage?

Have you considered he treats idiots differently than his wife and family?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:34 AM   #63
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
LMFAO...well put Salimander, well put
Old 01-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #64
BluesMan
CF Newbie

Quote:

Not everyone on this forum is an idiot, yet he treats everyone like they are. Someone will ask an honest question and he will find a way to pick apart everything they said and then insult them.
I would hope he would treat his family better. For as much time as he spends insulting people on this website, it doesn't seem he spends very much time with his family at all. I admit, I was wrong by saying what I said and I usually don't talk to others that way. But I've been reading these threads for a while and the way this guy talks to other is disgusting. I've never read anything where he has said something nice or constructive. Even when he gives advice, he has that whole superior attitude and talks down to the person.He's a bully and if I were a mod, I would kick him off the forum in a second.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #65
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

Quote:
Not everyone on this forum is an idiot, yet he treats everyone like they are. Someone will ask an honest question and he will find a way to pick apart everything they said and then insult them.
I would hope he would treat his family better. For as much time as he spends insulting people on this website, it doesn't seem he spends very much time with his family at all. I admit, I was wrong by saying what I said and I usually don't talk to others that way. But I've been reading these threads for a while and the way this guy talks to other is disgusting. I've never read anything where he has said something nice or constructive. Even when he gives advice, he has that whole superior attitude and talks down to the person.He's a bully and if I were a mod, I would kick him off the forum in a second.

you get used to him, and if your wrong and he decide to correct you sure he'll state the facts and maybe come off rude and insulting. The fact of the matter is life isn't always pleasant so why get bent out of shape for everything you don't agree with. If you don't like it don't read it, and if you really hate it leave.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #66
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

check out the "V6-i6" thread, and look at pages 2-5, he seemed to answer my questions without namecalling or anything...

if you know how to ask the question, he'll give you the answer you want in a way you want it.

if there's one thing vwhobo really wants others to know, it's how to ask for what you want, and to provide all the necessary information.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:18 AM   #67
BluesMan
CF Newbie

Quote:
you get used to him, and if your wrong and he decide to correct you sure he'll state the facts and maybe come off rude and insulting. The fact of the matter is life isn't always pleasant so why get bent out of shape for everything you don't agree with. If you don't like it don't read it, and if you really hate it leave.

I really enjoy reading the posts on here. Mostly everyone on here are nice people. I get what you are saying, but someone shouldn't be insulted just because their question may have seemed stupid or wasn't "asked correctly". Since when is there a proper way to ask a question? He shouldn't treat others like he's better than them just because he thinks he is more intelligent. Also, it shouldn't matter how old someone is, they still deserve to be treated with respect.I think he mostly talks down to people because it makes him feel better about himself. But like you said, life isn't always pleasant and apparently, neither are certain people.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #68
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

True, often times knowledge and confidence does come off as arrogance and condescention to those who lack it. And not everyone on here is an idiot, and if you'll notice, neither Hobo or I treat everyone as idiots. Only those who have demonstrated that they are.

I posted a while back a treatise on curmudgeons. Maybe you should read it, it would explain a lot. In fact, read this...

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showp...8&postcount=79

...before responding. Please.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #69
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Another fave.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #70
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Another fave.

That's a rare little beast. Remind me where that fell relative to the Karmann?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #71
BluesMan
CF Newbie

Quote:
I posted a while back a treatise on curmudgeons. Maybe you should read it, it would explain a lot. In fact, read this...

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/show...18&postcount=79

...before responding. Please.

Thank you ChrisV, that was quite interesting and I understand a little bit more about people who behave that way. But in some cases, aren't people crossing the line a bit? Although there are people who are curmudgeons, they shouldn't always use it as an excuse for their behavior. Isn't there a difference between being an curmudgeon and just being a complete jerk? I'm guessing you'll say that someone being a jerk is your everday "idiot" while a curmudgeon may seem like a jerk, but their intelligence makes up for it.

Quote:
True, often times knowledge and confidence does come off as arrogance and condescention to those who lack it. And not everyone on here is an idiot, and if you'll notice, neither Hobo or I treat everyone as idiots. Only those who have demonstrated that they are.

So if someone asks a "stupid" question or makes a comment you guys don't agree with, they are now an "idiot". Instead of thinking, "That was a idiotic question." the actual person is now automatically an "idiot". Isn't that basically stereotyping a person as a fool, because of one question or comment that you may have percieved as "dumb"?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #72
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Thank you ChrisV, that was quite interesting and I understand a little bit more about people who behave that way. But in some cases, aren't people crossing the line a bit? Although there are people who are curmudgeons, they shouldn't always use it as an excuse for their behavior. Isn't there a difference between being an curmudgeon and just being a complete jerk? I'm guessing you'll say that someone being a jerk is your everday "idiot" while a curmudgeon may seem like a jerk, but their intelligence makes up for it.

So if someone asks a "stupid" question or makes a comment you guys don't agree with, they are now an "idiot". Instead of thinking, "That was a idiotic question." the actual person is now automatically an "idiot". Isn't that basically stereotyping a person as a fool, because of one question or comment that you may have percieved as "dumb"?
Do you have any reason to be a member of this forum other than to bitch about other people? All you've done since your first post is make accusations and bellyache about me. Now you're crying about Chris. This is a car forum and this is how it is. What this is not is a whine because you don't like others attitudes forum. If you don't like it here, nobody is making you participate. Turn off your computer and go watch Oprah.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-06-2006, 08:49 PM   #73
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
That's a rare little beast. Remind me where that fell relative to the Karmann?
Yes they are. That is a Type III Karmann Ghia, built from '61-'69 in limited numbers. If you're not familiar, Karmann is the coachbuilder that produced the bodies and Ghia is the studio that designed it. It used the Type III (Squareback, Notchback, Fastback) chassis instead of the Type I from the Beetle (modified) like the garden variety Ghia.

On another note, while the other cars I've posted here are beautiful, I personally tend to gravitate more toward cars like this. Prettiest? No. Way cool? Yep.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 PM   #74
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Yes they are. That is a Type III Karmann Ghia, built from '61-'69 in limited numbers. If you're not familiar, Karmann is the coachbuilder that produced the bodies and Ghia is the studio that designed it. It used the Type III (Squareback, Notchback, Fastback) chassis instead of the Type I from the Beetle (modified) like the garden variety Ghia.

On another note, while the other cars I've posted here are beautiful, I personally tend to gravitate more toward cars like this. Prettiest? No. Way cool? Yep.

Well, I thought I was familiar, I thought Karmann was the design studio, I never knew where the Ghia came from. I learned something today.

I'm a big fan of the querky cars like that bug, I can't really explain my infatuation with them. Most people I know can't really nail down why I like the cars I do (neither can I), I like them to be unique (not retarded like that "Unique Whips" show).
Old 01-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #75
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

No, I'll say it only looks like they are being a jerk if you are an idiot.

Quote:
So if someone asks a "stupid" question or makes a comment you guys don't agree with, they are now an "idiot".

Never said that. I think you're projecting. If they make an idiotic statement and whine that it's their right to make the stamten instead of trying to learn, THEN they are an idiot.

Seriously, if someone came on here and said "all 4 cyl cars are slow and rusty, because I had a clapped out Rabbit L, and so I have a right to my opinion." would he look smart or stupid?

Quote:
Instead of thinking, "That was a idiotic question." the actual person is now automatically an "idiot". Isn't that basically stereotyping a person as a fool, because of one question or comment that you may have percieved as "dumb"?

No, it's the later actions that do it. You seem to be able to type and form sentences quite well. You make the attempt to communicate clearly. Some people don't bother making the attempt, but are accomodating when asked to. Some don't bother being accomodating and instead whine about it. Once you're on forums long enough, it's easier and easier to spot the latter. In fact often times teh same kind of statments get made by the same kinds of peopel, for the same reasons, so it gets to the point that yes, if someone comes on and says teh exact same thing right off the bat, they get labelled that way. Is it fair? Maybe not. But it no longer justifies the time to wait and figure out who deserves it.

And the fact is regardless of how you present it, no matter how nice you are, someone will ALWAYS take offence at being pointed out that they are wrong, and start calling you an arrogant jerk simpl;y for knowing more than they do, or for simply TELLING people how much experience you have, even if it's just to point out how you arrived at the statment you made.

Since people are going to be offended anyway, why prolong it and put up with it? I mean, isn't that the rationalization you used to sign up and start insulting a member here about his family within two posts of joining?

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote