Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
anthony s
CF Newbie

first car

Just wanted to know if you think that a 1996 ford mustang gt in pretty good condition is worth $2000. Its my dads freinds car and it just has a small antifreeze leak. I also would like to know how much you think it would take to fix it and if you think it is to fast for a 16 going on 17 year old.
anthony s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony s
Just wanted to know if you think that a 1996 ford mustang gt in pretty good condition is worth $2000. Its my dads freinds car and it just has a small antifreeze leak. I also would like to know how much you think it would take to fix it and if you think it is to fast for a 16 going on 17 year old.
well the price sounds good... but i dunno the mileage and all...i dont think it's too fast of a car, but i am sure the insurance companies do so insurance will be high.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

jump on that... that car is worth like 3-4x that cost. if that's the only problem it has, then buy the car.

no idea how much it would cost though.. but certainly not $5000...

how many miles does it have on it?
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
jump on that... that car is worth like 3-4x that cost. if that's the only problem it has, then buy the car.

no idea how much it would cost though.. but certainly not $5000...

how many miles does it have on it?

I wouldn't say it's worth THAT much more. But most likely around 2.5 times more. Remember the 1996 GT model was the first year to change from teh 5.0 to the 4.6 And it actually lost some power from its 5.0 counter-part. Depending on mileage among other things and manual or automatic would help determine its price.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

That's such a low price it's downright scary. I would be very careful, check the miles and ask for a test drive.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:54 AM   #6
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

ok, maybe i overestimated... but my point is still the same.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:03 AM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Sounds nice...but make sure the car runs nice

Power isn't too much, but that depends on how you use it...

Old 01-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
anthony s
CF Newbie

what i ment by do you think its to fast is will the insurance company think i cant handle it and charge me a lot more in insurance oh and it has 108,000 miles on it.
anthony s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony s
what i ment by do you think its to fast is will the insurance company think i cant handle it and charge me a lot more in insurance oh and it has 108,000 miles on it.
Fast isn't what the insurance company specifically looks at. Accident rate for that type of car, accident rate for a driver of your age, experience and sex, your driving record, repair costs of vehicle, etc. Anywhere in the US, a '96 GT is gonna be expensive for you to insure.

Now for the biggie. Why do you think the seller is letting this car go for so cheap? It doesn't have high miles, you said it's in pretty good condition, but it seems to have a coolant leak. Hmm, how expensive could that be to fix? It could be something simple and cheap, but if it was, why doesn't he fix it and sell the car for what it's worth. KBB says the car is worth about $3500 on a good day (don't have enough info to nail it down). That's only $1500 more than the asking price. What does he know that you don't? If it costs you $1700 to make it right you now have a $3500 car that cost you $3700 to build. Sounds like poor money management to me.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
tel boy
CF Newbie

my 1st car and still is lol is a silver t reg saxo 1.1, as i only passed my test like 4 months ago.

One warning only.
tel boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:44 AM   #11
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Now for the biggie. Why do you think the seller is letting this car go for so cheap? It doesn't have high miles, you said it's in pretty good condition, but it seems to have a coolant leak. Hmm, how expensive could that be to fix? It could be something simple and cheap, but if it was, why doesn't he fix it and sell the car for what it's worth. KBB says the car is worth about $3500 on a good day (don't have enough info to nail it down). That's only $1500 more than the asking price. What does he know that you don't? If it costs you $1700 to make it right you now have a $3500 car that cost you $3700 to build. Sounds like poor money management to me.
I agree I had the same problem with my F-150 first it was just a small leak in the lower hose so I replaced that and it still kept leaking and I couldn't find the problem so I took it to the shop and they said it was my freeze plugs which looked fine when I looked at them. Those were replaced and it was a couple days later and it leaked again so I replaced the whole damn thing. Now it works fine but if I had taken it to the shop I would have had to pay way more. Thank god for friends and auto class in high school

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:22 AM   #12
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Fast isn't what the insurance company specifically looks at. Accident rate for that type of car, accident rate for a driver of your age, experience and sex, your driving record, repair costs of vehicle, etc. Anywhere in the US, a '96 GT is gonna be expensive for you to insure.

Maybe his dad's friend is cutting him a break? If so that could be a reason for the price drop, other than that we have no info on whether it is automatic, manual, anything like that. And 96' Mustang GT's were the first year for the 4.6li in the Mustang, which were powered at still only 215 and 285 torque as the year before it was. So those aren't exaclty "Hot Items" like the 5.0's, for someone who knows about Mustangs that is. Theres also a possibility that he is in debt or needs money fast. My friends' second car was a MINT 1987 Mustang GT Convertible. Everything about perfect except the cracked leather interior, only 40k original miles everything worked, very strong, he bought it for 6500$ and when he traded it in got a few thousand more from the dealership on a trade-in. The guy was in debt and needed moeny fast, my friend told him what he had and the guy took it.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:32 AM   #13
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

I was thinking it was the Dad's friend cutting him a break too. But only anthony knows how good of a friend he is, and would he be the type to do that.

Find out where the coolant is leaking from first, its not necessarily a cheap fix.

Apart from that I think its a good deal, though those Mustangs are one of my least favorite body style...
Old 01-20-2006, 07:21 PM   #14
omaish
CF Newbie

i think price is good. I would suggest you to buy it after a trial