Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
newyorker
MXman

Hybrid

Switching to the more conservative and not only eco but budget friendly cheek, ive discovered hybrid technology. I knew about it before, but dindt quite understand the technology of it. Still dont but like the idea of having a car thats powerful enough to get around town and school (first 2 years of college will be 20 miles one way and the second 2 will be 30) so im thinking that Hybrid might be my friend here. Only thing is, I probbably wont be able to save enough for a nice downpayment of at least 1/2 of the price of the car, but I can try. What do you guys think of Hybrid cars? Civic? Insight? Prius? I dont know any others available in the US.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:43 AM   #2
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I dont know any others available in the US.
Accord, Escape, Lexus 400h, and I think Toyota is coming out with one in the Camry and the Rav4 as well. Of course that's not all, that's just all I can remember off the top of my head.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:47 AM   #3
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Switching to the more conservative and not only eco but budget friendly cheek, ive discovered hybrid technology. I knew about it before, but dindt quite understand the technology of it. Still dont but like the idea of having a car thats powerful enough to get around town and school (first 2 years of college will be 20 miles one way and the second 2 will be 30) so im thinking that Hybrid might be my friend here. Only thing is, I probbably wont be able to save enough for a nice downpayment of at least 1/2 of the price of the car, but I can try. What do you guys think of Hybrid cars? Civic? Insight? Prius? I dont know any others available in the US.
There are a couple of SUV's out there. But it sounds like you want one because it's cheaper. Here's the dirty little secret-the price differnce between a hybird and a comprerable(sp?) car w/ a conventional engine is too large at the moment for you to save money from the gas mileage increase for a VERY long time. Unless you drive 150,000 miles a year, or course. Have a nice day.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:48 AM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Accord, Escape, Lexus 400h, and I think Toyota is coming out with one in the Camry and the Rav4 as well. Of course that's not all, that's just all I can remember off the top of my head.
Forgot those. I meant like the cheaper ones. Accord is big (but 255 horses cant be wrong), escape is an SUV, 400H is an SUV i believe, didnt hear of the toyota ones though.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
There are a couple of SUV's out there. But it sounds like you want one because it's cheaper. Here's the dirty little secret-the price differnce between a hybird and a comprerable(sp?) car w/ a conventional engine is too large at the moment for you to save money from the gas mileage increase for a VERY long time. Unless you drive 150,000 miles a year, or course. Have a nice day.
But you CAN get them used. Do hybrid motors last longer than conventional ones?

Old 01-07-2006, 01:53 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman

How does this one look? Stick, 2003, 50k miles, nice condition, buy it not for 15k. Seems quite reasonable to me. And its stick so I can put like super dooper battery in there and really let the ponies roam. I like the guages on this particular car. Quite nice.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:55 AM   #7
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
But you CAN get them used. Do hybrid motors last longer than conventional ones?
Still, the difference if you bought a comparable USED car would be the same, if not greater, seeing as these hybirds are usually in pretty high demand, and the fad hasn't gone away yet. As for lasting longer, I don't guess they've really been around long enough to know for sure, but there's more to them, so they're more complicated, more to go wrong, so I'll just take a wild guess and say no, they don't.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:56 AM   #8
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Well, you do realize that aside from the Accord and the more "higher up" hybrids, they are not known for their speed. I doubt it would be as fast as your Neon.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:58 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Well, you do realize that aside from the Accord and the more "higher up" hybrids, they are not known for their speed. I doubt it would be as fast as your Neon.
Definately wont. But if I can save 1/2 at the pump, il live without being an adrenaline junkie for a little, and get back to it when I get a steady job with a steady (and medium-high) income.

Old 01-07-2006, 03:33 AM   #10
n00dle
CF Newbie

smart CAr, get that.
n00dle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:52 AM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dle
smart CAr, get that.

Personally I can't stand them...waaayy too small, and pretty damn expensive.

BTW I doubt you'll save 1/2 at the pump with a hybrid...
Old 01-07-2006, 05:05 AM   #12
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Hybrids in US that I can remember are Civic, Insight, Highlander, Prius, 400h, Escape, (there maybe a Silverado hybrid, but I cant remember if it is out yet) and many more to follow (ex: the next gen Camry (Gen 6) out this summer with offer a hybrid powerplant at some point). There are many hybrids. Most operate by using regenerative brakes that take the energy that is converted to heat when the car slows down/ stops (which is surprisingly a very, very high amount) and converts it into power that the car can use to power itself around (it is stored in a battery).
The only problem with hybrids is that new they are very, very expensive. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid has had dealer mark ups of $10k on a $35k car. The Prius has had a waiting list (it may no longer have one) that extends many years.
In my opinion hybrids are great cars, but in many cases their prices are so much more than the regular versions of the cars that if one is buying the vehicle to save money on gas in order to save money in the long run one may not make up the difference of MSRPs or make a significant amount of money saved. The Lexus dealer (we recently bought a 2006 RX330) stated that if one is buying the 400h to save money on gas they must keep the car for 10 years to make back the major investment that they make; most people buy the car either for its good emissions or because it is very powerful when compared to its non-hybrid brother.
I would say that if you simply went with a cheap, base Civic you would still get great MPG but not have to pay more for the hybrid.

All things that I have stated are my own opinion and from my (basic) knowledge of hybrids.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:51 AM   #13
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Hybrids in US that I can remember are Civic, Insight, Highlander, Prius, 400h, Escape, (there maybe a Silverado hybrid, but I cant remember if it is out yet) and many more to follow (ex: the next gen Camry (Gen 6) out this summer with offer a hybrid powerplant at some point). There are many hybrids. Most operate by using regenerative brakes that take the energy that is converted to heat when the car slows down/ stops (which is surprisingly a very, very high amount) and converts it into power that the car can use to power itself around (it is stored in a battery).
The only problem with hybrids is that new they are very, very expensive. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid has had dealer mark ups of $10k on a $35k car. The Prius has had a waiting list (it may no longer have one) that extends many years.
In my opinion hybrids are great cars, but in many cases their prices are so much more than the regular versions of the cars that if one is buying the vehicle to save money on gas in order to save money in the long run one may not make up the difference of MSRPs or make a significant amount of money saved. The Lexus dealer (we recently bought a 2006 RX330) stated that if one is buying the 400h to save money on gas they must keep the car for 10 years to make back the major investment that they make; most people buy the car either for its good emissions or because it is very powerful when compared to its non-hybrid brother.
I would say that if you simply went with a cheap, base Civic you would still get great MPG but not have to pay more for the hybrid.

All things that I have stated are my own opinion and from my (basic) knowledge of hybrids.

Silverado's been out for quite sometime, at least by mid-summer possibly longer.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:51 AM   #14
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Silverado's been out for quite sometime, at least by mid-summer possibly longer.
Ya, I couldnt remember... lol...

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:53 AM   #15
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Ya, I couldnt remember... lol...

Lol, only reason I know is because when we were moving some stuff out to my dads new house (mid-summer) we were looking in a paper at some for sale, unfortunately only came in 1500 and he needs 2500 to pull his stuff efficiently.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote