Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2006, 05:56 AM   #16
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Lol, only reason I know is because when we were moving some stuff out to my dads new house (mid-summer) we were looking in a paper at some for sale, unfortunately only came in 1500 and he needs 2500 to pull his stuff efficiently.
Ya, they only get you like 2 more mpg I read so I dont think there all that better. I dont remember seeing any.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:59 AM   #17
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Hybrids in US that I can remember are Civic, Insight, Highlander, Prius, 400h, Escape, (there maybe a Silverado hybrid, but I cant remember if it is out yet) and many more to follow (ex: the next gen Camry (Gen 6) out this summer with offer a hybrid powerplant at some point). There are many hybrids. Most operate by using regenerative brakes that take the energy that is converted to heat when the car slows down/ stops (which is surprisingly a very, very high amount) and converts it into power that the car can use to power itself around (it is stored in a battery).
The only problem with hybrids is that new they are very, very expensive. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid has had dealer mark ups of $10k on a $35k car. The Prius has had a waiting list (it may no longer have one) that extends many years.
In my opinion hybrids are great cars, but in many cases their prices are so much more than the regular versions of the cars that if one is buying the vehicle to save money on gas in order to save money in the long run one may not make up the difference of MSRPs or make a significant amount of money saved. The Lexus dealer (we recently bought a 2006 RX330) stated that if one is buying the 400h to save money on gas they must keep the car for 10 years to make back the major investment that they make; most people buy the car either for its good emissions or because it is very powerful when compared to its non-hybrid brother.
I would say that if you simply went with a cheap, base Civic you would still get great MPG but not have to pay more for the hybrid.

All things that I have stated are my own opinion and from my (basic) knowledge of hybrids.
Yea im thinking of a 03 type design EX civic on stick. They are pretty good on gas, get adequate performance, and im in love with the guages.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 AM   #18
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Ya, they only get you like 2 more mpg I read so I dont think there all that better. I dont remember seeing any.
Hybrid civic get 46 city 51 highway. So the normal one gets 44? Shit il bite.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:13 AM   #19
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

no, he means the hybrid silverado's only get 2mpg more.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #20
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
no, he means the hybrid silverado's only get 2mpg more.
Oo I see. Then for THAT car its not worth it losing power for only 2 more MPG. And if you dont lose power, then overpaying for the technology that only gives you a small benefit

Old 01-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #21
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

i think they made that car just as a statement that hybrid technology isnt just for small cars. could be wrong though...
Old 01-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #22
newyorker
MXman

Well let me just put it out that before I get a vehicle on stick I should learn how to drive it, let alone even try it for the first time. I dont plan on learning in a $10k car.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #23
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
i think they made that car just as a statement that hybrid technology isnt just for small cars. could be wrong though...
Yea. Is it in production yet? What do you think of the guages I posted?

Old 01-07-2006, 07:22 AM   #24
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Well let me just put it out that before I get a vehicle on stick I should learn how to drive it, let alone even try it for the first time. I dont plan on learning in a $10k car.
that's what i did... exactly what i did, infact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Yea. Is it in production yet? What do you think of the guages I posted?
it being in production has already been answered in this thread. go find out where.

the guages... they're ok, but i've actually grown attached to the neon r/t's guages... though at first i thought they were way too bland. but that just makes them easy to read, yet at the same time not distracting... and at night the numbers are green (same as the odometer), and also look very nice.

given all that, i'm not so sure i like the guages you posted, but i'm sure they'd grow on me too.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #25
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
that's what i did... exactly what i did, infact.

it being in production has already been answered in this thread. go find out where.

the guages... they're ok, but i've actually grown attached to the neon r/t's guages... though at first i thought they were way too bland. but that just makes them easy to read, yet at the same time not distracting... and at night the numbers are green (same as the odometer), and also look very nice.

given all that, i'm not so sure i like the guages you posted, but i'm sure they'd grow on me too.
My friends dad has a civic like that, and they are hot at night

Old 01-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #26
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

so... are you thinking of getting a civic now?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #27
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
so... are you thinking of getting a civic now?
I want sometihng with comfort but not like an old mans car. performacne but not tire peeling. Economy thats good but not 50 MPG when there is almost no power. Price around 10k. Take note though that I wont be buying this untill at least a year and a half from now, so then I could probbably get a decent 04 Civic EX sedan (like sedans more) on stick with atound 50-60k miles for like 10 grand or less. Just gota work through college and learn stick while im at it.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:57 AM   #28
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

so you plan on getting a slower car then what you have now? or does this still fit into your whole having two cars thing?
Old 01-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #29
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
so you plan on getting a slower car then what you have now? or does this still fit into your whole having two cars thing?
Im kinda drifting away from the whole horsepower thing. Sure il get a car on stick because it will still be more fun than auto, but I dont need or even want a car with over 200 horseower because its just not necessary. I dont go to the track, and where I live there are stop signs all over so there really isnt much room to safely unleash all of that power. A guy around here had a viper and totalled it because he couldnt control it between the stop signs. Its just not necessary. I just want a nice car I dont need to impress anyone. If I like the car I will get it no matter what others think. Of course I will consult with my mechanic to see if its good or not, but still. Its my car and while I will apretiate and take into consideration most advice given by people, I wont necessarily get something that I dont need just because 50 unknown forum members recomend it. After highschool I wll have different needs as far as a vehicle, so I will shop for sometihng that suits me more. I dont care to have less power than I do now. 150 isnt that much, but the 127 EX civic I can take as well. Now ive just started driving more smart and dont just zoom to a stop from 60. I dont care for that shit anymore and quite frankly its unsafe. I know from experience with my 6000LE (that i miss to this day).

Old 01-07-2006, 08:14 AM   #30
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

what exactly brought about this sudden change of mind? a few days ago you wanted to get an integra, now you want a civic... that sort of change doesnt just *happen* for no reason...