Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
newyorker
MXman

That Integra

Well my friend got the integra, and i came to the school lot today to find the car with the hood open, the radiaton steaming, and the owner clueless. I asked him to turn on his engine and I did the same for my car with the hood open. We both had the heater on, but my fans were spinning, and his werent. On the top of the radiator there was some kind of liquid coming out of the core. I will get out of school and take a photo the best I can. What can this mean. 99 Integra automatic, 88k miles, driven very gently
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Well my friend got the integra, and i came to the school lot today to find the car with the hood open, the radiaton steaming, and the owner clueless. I asked him to turn on his engine and I did the same for my car with the hood open. We both had the heater on, but my fans were spinning, and his werent. On the top of the radiator there was some kind of liquid coming out of the core. I will get out of school and take a photo the best I can. What can this mean. 99 Integra automatic, 88k miles, driven very gently
Is it possible that it's overheating?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Well my friend got the integra, and i came to the school lot today to find the car with the hood open, the radiaton steaming, and the owner clueless.

Make that owner and friend.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Is it possible that it's overheating?
Yes, but he wasnt watching the temp guage. the question is WHY its overheating. yes chrisV hes my friend but I dont teach all of my friends about cars. especially if they dont want to learn

Old 01-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Yes, but he wasnt watching the temp guage. the question is WHY its overheating. yes chrisV hes my friend but I dont teach all of my friends about cars. especially if they dont want to learn
1. Good question. Maybe there's some kind of malfunction.

2. Lucky friends, having someone with your vast automotive knowledge around to teach them. That of course raises a question. If you're such a storehouse of everything automotive, why are you asking me how to replace a valve cover gasket? Not exactly rocket science. Something smells rotten in Denmark.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
1. Good question. Maybe there's some kind of malfunction.

2. Lucky friends, having someone with your vast automotive knowledge around to teach them. That of course raises a question. If you're such a storehouse of everything automotive, why are you asking me how to replace a valve cover gasket? Not exactly rocket science. Something smells rotten in Denmark.
I was asking how DIFFICULT it is. I have the haynes manual for my car. Also every car is different so you need to know for each one. His fans werent spinning, so could that be the cause of this? I will be leading him home today and on the cell he will be monitoring to me the activities the car makes. temerature fluctuations, odors, steam/smoke, etc.etc.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I was asking how DIFFICULT it is. I have the haynes manual for my car. Also every car is different so you need to know for each one. His fans werent spinning, so could that be the cause of this? I will be leading him home today and on the cell he will be monitoring to me the activities the car makes. temerature fluctuations, odors, steam/smoke, etc.etc.
No. What you said is;
Quote:
So hobo how can I change this myself? Is it comlicated and how much is the part? If I dont change it what will happen. Could this contribute to my bad milage (still testing it on the first tank.)
Your very first question was HOW can you do it. Stick with the facts, don't lie to me and you'll never have a credibility problem.

The fans not spinning could be the cause, or they could be a symptom. Driving the car around to duplicate the problem is probably not a very good idea. How smart will you look if he blows a head gasket or cracks the block while you're in the process of doing that?

Old 01-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
No. What you said is;
Your very first question was HOW can you do it. Stick with the facts, don't lie to me and you'll never have a credibility problem.

The fans not spinning could be the cause, or they could be a symptom. Driving the car around to duplicate the problem is probably not a very good idea. How smart will you look if he blows a head gasket or cracks the block while you're in the process of doing that?
As far as I am aware he got home alright today. I will come tomorrow and check his radiator cap, hoses, and antifreeze.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
Wally
I Know More Than You

I find standing in front of the engine bay pondering the universe and the origins of man rather gratifying when I can't be fagged doing any tests. Invariably though, it becomes self evident that engines rarely fix themselves by driving around, especially when steam is pluming from the general vicinity.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #10
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I find standing in front of the engine bay pondering the universe and the origins of man rather gratifying when I can't be fagged doing any tests. Invariably though, it becomes self evident that engines rarely fix themselves by driving around, especially when steam is pluming from the general vicinity.
I find sasrcasm completely useless. He doenst know SHIT about cars, so he needs me to help him. I will check his stuff tomorrow.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 AM   #11
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
I find sasrcasm completely useless. He doenst know SHIT about cars, so he needs me to help him. I will check his stuff tomorrow.

Tell him to drive it to the local mechanic and have it looked at. He'll spend less money for a diagnosis and, perhaps, a bad deal, than he will driving around like a moron while you try to diagnose something forever and might still make a mistake.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #12
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Tell him to drive it to the local mechanic and have it looked at. He'll spend less money for a diagnosis and, perhaps, a bad deal, than he will driving around like a moron while you try to diagnose something forever and might still make a mistake.
He would be a retart and agree with them that shit that doesnt need to be changed has to be changed. They would stick him with shit youve never herad of hed pay, and they would do nothing and meantime **** the car more so he comes back and makes them more money. Maybe before being a dick you should consider who got you in the game.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:02 AM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:

Really? I find sarcasm has it's uses in making a person use his/her noodle. And I would suspect that when you do proceed to help your mate, members on this board will be seconded to help.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:46 AM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Really? I find sarcasm has it's uses in making a person use his/her noodle. And I would suspect that when you do proceed to help your mate, members on this board will be seconded to help.
Yea thats why I made the thread for advice. But as tight as me and Nissan are, his comment kinda made me angry.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:26 AM   #15
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
On the top of the radiator there was some kind of liquid coming out of the core.

Haha...thats just funny.

Thats like saying "He got stabbed and some kind of liquid started dripping out of him!"

DUH.