Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
jeranamo
CF Newbie

12V socket... broken

My 12v socket is completely shot. I've tried my cell phone charger, ipod transmitter/charger, and a portable air compressor in it, none of which work. I first noticed the problem when I was trying to fill my tires up with the air compressor. All of a sudden, it just shut off. I thought the air compressor was bad and didn't think much about it. A few days later I noticed other inputs weren't working in it either. Is it possible I blew the fuse? How easy is it to detect and/or replace the fuse for the 12v? The car is a 99 pontiac grand prix gt
jeranamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeranamo
My 12v socket is completely shot. I've tried my cell phone charger, ipod transmitter/charger, and a portable air compressor in it, none of which work. I first noticed the problem when I was trying to fill my tires up with the air compressor. All of a sudden, it just shut off. I thought the air compressor was bad and didn't think much about it. A few days later I noticed other inputs weren't working in it either. Is it possible I blew the fuse? How easy is it to detect and/or replace the fuse for the 12v? The car is a 99 pontiac grand prix gt
The plug in accessory was working fine and then BAM, nothing. Sounds pretty fuse like to me. Look in your owners manual for fuse replacement instructions.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Hey thanks for confirming this guys thoughts regarding his blown fuse. I'm sure he'll get to fixing it as soon as he figures out how to read his owners manual. Heck, he may even reply back to you after he figures out that whole reading thing.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
Hey thanks for confirming this guys thoughts regarding his blown fuse. I'm sure he'll get to fixing it as soon as he figures out how to read his owners manual. Heck, he may even reply back to you after he figures out that whole reading thing.

Or maybe not. What a shock.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
farmboy108
CF Newbie

i have the same problem in my car and i changed the fuse and it didnt help...is there anything else i can check for?
farmboy108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy108
i have the same problem in my car and i changed the fuse and it didnt help...is there anything else i can check for?
Is the fuse still good? If it blew right away then that would indicate a short in your circuit.

If the fuse is still good and the socket doesn't work, then it could mean that you have an open circuit (disconnected circuit) or it could mean that you are not making good contact with whatever you are plugging in.

To test the latter, use a multimeter and check the connections in the socket to see if you are getting voltage. If you are, then you have a connection problem. If not, then it is likely you have an open circuit. Then it is "trace the wires" time.

Good luck.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote