Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
95civicdima
CF Addict

Am i right about this RPM problem?

A class-mate in my Calculas class says his cars RPM jumps around when he's idling. So when he's at a complete stop for no apparent reason the cars RPM will knock up a bit... alright so i got into an argument with another dude about it later. I think it's the sparkplugs. ONe of the cylinders isn't working or some shit along those lines. I don't remember the car exactly but it's an 89 something and it's a 6 cylinder car. THe other dude said is was the transmission getting ready to go. I'm not entirely sure but does anyone think i'm right? I saw this problem before but i don't remember where. I told the dude to watch his gas because if it's running on one less cylinder than it should be taking in more gas and being less powerful. I don't need to get bashed for askign a question because i'm no expert on cars (if i was i wouldn't be asking a lot of questions as i do). So let me know please i appreciate all feedback that is positive and brings no negativity to this thread
Old 01-10-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

*Gets popcorn* this ought to be good..lol
Erdrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I don't think it's the transmission, but I'm not sure if it's misfiring either...Is it a manual or automatic?

BTW I think you wanted this:

Old 01-10-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95civicdima
A class-mate in my Calculas class says his cars RPM jumps around when he's idling. So when he's at a complete stop for no apparent reason the cars RPM will knock up a bit... alright so i got into an argument with another dude about it later. I think it's the sparkplugs. ONe of the cylinders isn't working or some shit along those lines. I don't remember the car exactly but it's an 89 something and it's a 6 cylinder car.

You need to be a little more specific. Is the engine idle actually unstable? Calculus sucks..... apart from some basic engineering applications, it took me 8 years after high school before I actually found a practical use for it (automation) and a further 5 years for another use (Econometrics).

Quote:
THe other dude said is was the transmission getting ready to go. I'm not entirely sure but does anyone think i'm right? I saw this problem before but i don't remember where.

There must be a lot of transmissions ready to go, if idle fluctuations are an indicator of imminent failure.

Quote:
I told the dude to watch his gas because if it's running on one less cylinder than it should be taking in more gas and being less powerful. I don't need to get bashed for askign a question because i'm no expert on cars (if i was i wouldn't be asking a lot of questions as i do). So let me know please i appreciate all feedback that is positive and brings no negativity to this thread

I would have thought a misfiring spark plug would be pretty easy to feel through jerking acceleration. I guess you are assuming he will use more throttle to achieve speed, thus more fuel?

Last edited by Wally : 01-10-2006 at 06:08 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
carlos
CF Addict

very unlikely that it would be a trans problem but i doubt its a cyl missing
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:24 AM   #6
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

How little is the RPM jumping. I was once told that if it moves just up and down a bit (like a cm), it's actually a sparkplug, but I can't be positive on that one.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

I believe it could be that its time to let the car go or take it to a professional and do a real test before any of us give you advice since you dont give enough info and or pictures of the top bottom engine and exhaust to have a better understanding.

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX
nightroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Check the ignition system: wires, plugs, coil, all of that
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote