Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
hobbyjp
CF Newbie

Tdc

I have a really rookie question. I have a 1954 chevy with a 235 engine. I need to turn the crankshaft to reach timing marks on the flywheel. My problem is my pully does not have a bolt to turn, it has 4. do I need a special tool to turn it or is there a shade tree trick I can use.
hobbyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
philo
CF Newbie

If the belt to the generator is tight, and you can get two hands on the belt, you should be able to turn it with your hands. Can't remember if there is enough room to get two hands on the belt, but I have had it work on V8's before. Just be careful not to get your fingers caught in the belt, and remove the coil wire before trying it.
philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:01 AM   #3
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

Well if your turning the crankshaft you would need a cranshaft turning tool.If your gonna turn the fly wheel you will need a fly-wheel turner/puller. This are just basic tools. I know there are more than one way to do the job so goodluck, Oh and try posting in the right area "repair/maintance." Goodluck

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX
nightroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:11 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightroad
Well if your turning the crankshaft you would need a cranshaft turning tool.If your gonna turn the fly wheel you will need a fly-wheel turner/puller. This are just basic tools. I know there are more than one way to do the job so goodluck, Oh and try posting in the right area "repair/maintance." Goodluck
Do you really? Are you sure? Are you just giving out bogus information to make it sound like you know somthing? Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjp
I have a really rookie question. I have a 1954 chevy with a 235 engine. I need to turn the crankshaft to reach timing marks on the flywheel. My problem is my pully does not have a bolt to turn, it has 4. do I need a special tool to turn it or is there a shade tree trick I can use.
Is it a manual or automatic transmission?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:29 AM   #5
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Do you really? Are you sure? Are you just giving out bogus information to make it sound like you know somthing? Yep..

I've had 1 month working with a crankshaft and flywheel. Im still learning all the basics. And besides, If you actually read it you would know I didnt put a positive or for sure on what he should use. Please be more reasonable as I am just trying to give advice the best way I can without looking it up .

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX
Old 01-13-2006, 03:33 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I've had 1 month working with a crankshaft and flywheel. Im still learning all the basics. And besides, If you actually read it you would know I didnt put a positive or for sure on what he should use. Please be more reasonable as I am just trying to give advice the best way I can without looking it up .
Uh, no. You very specifically used the word "need". That doesn't leave a lot of gray area. If you don't know something, don't type it. It's really a very simple concept.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-13-2006, 03:37 AM   #7
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Uh, no. You very specifically used the word "need". That doesn't leave a lot of gray area. If you don't know something, don't type it. It's really a very simple concept.

Telling you the word "need" and comparing with "I know for sure" and their difference wouldnt help you understand that I simply didnt give a a for sure answer. What if you know the basics, still dont type it? How about this, you give your advice to him and make no attempt to argue like a child and just help the guy out? Or maybe your ego gets in the way? WHO KNOWS

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX

Last edited by nightroad : 01-13-2006 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:41 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Telling you the word "need" and "know" and their difference wouldnt help you understand.
Huh? I understand just fine. You said that he needed the tools. What else do I need to know? They were very specific statements.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:44 AM   #9
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Huh? I understand just fine. You said that he needed the tools. What else do I need to know? They were very specific statements.

Sorry I worded it wrong due to a burger falling on the carpet

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX