Old 01-14-2006, 04:50 AM   #1
Kris
CF Newbie

Engine Problem Need Advise

Hi, to introduce the problem let me start out with what i am working with,

* 1990 300ZX Non-Turbo V-6 3.0
* 95,000 Miles
* Automatic (if it matters)
* Right side cat-back has 2 holes in it (ill fix it soon)
* I have already tried pouring the stuff you pur into the gas tank (forgot what its called)
* I always use be most expensive gas (premium)

O.K. so to the problem, when i start my car it dies if i dont give it some throttle until it warms up. I hold the throttle down to about 1,000 RPM. after about a minute i can slowly let off throttle and let it idle on its own. I know that when an engine is cold it can do that sometimes and it is pretty cold here. Anyways thats not the main problem, the main problem is that when i come to a complete stop and then apply throttle to move again the rpms drop to about 500PRM almost dies, you wait about 1 second and then it regains life and drives off strong. This also happens when im on the highway and i want to pass quickly or when i apply 100% throttle it also does this lags a little and then takes off strong. Do you think this is because of the exaust not being sealed? I have noticed that there is small holes and cracks in it, i am going to replace it after i get my next pay check. But before I do this problem might be more important. Thanks for the help!
Kris
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:52 AM   #2
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Check your sparktrain
Old 01-14-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
Kris
CF Newbie

What do you mean by sparktrain? You mean wires, spark plugs, etc.?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

Had simialr problem with my supra. Narrowed it down to electrical. Check your plugs, wires, cap/rotor(if applicable), the check the ignition wires for any damage, the test the ignition coil. That might help narrow the problem, i hope man.

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #5
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
What do you mean by sparktrain? You mean wires, spark plugs, etc.?

Distributor, distributor cap (I'm presuming that yours is not an electronic spark), spark plug wires, spark plugs, coil(s).

When you floor it, how fast do the RPMs climb?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:13 AM   #6
Kris
CF Newbie

well it is like turbo lag, is the begining it will just not move or drop a little and then it will start to pull hard. So at a stop sighn lets say i stop, then press throttle to go, it will drop RPMS down or not drop but just slightly bog down and then rev up after about a second and then it works fine. When you floor it it does the same thing it seems liek its dying and then when it comes alive again it pulls very hard. once the "lag" is over with and the car starts to move it works perfectly fine, its just when you apply throttle at a stop or when you floor it when moving.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #7
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

Quote:
well it is like turbo lag, is the begining it will just not move or drop a little and then it will start to pull hard. So at a stop sighn lets say i stop, then press throttle to go, it will drop RPMS down or not drop but just slightly bog down and then rev up after about a second and then it works fine. When you floor it it does the same thing it seems liek its dying and then when it comes alive again it pulls very hard. once the "lag" is over with and the car starts to move it works perfectly fine, its just when you apply throttle at a stop or when you floor it when moving.

Sounds very famaliar. I would look at the ignition coil if the plugs and wires are fine(new or like new)

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:36 AM   #8
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

I agree with the ignition theory. The holes in the exhaust are not the problem.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Read it right here. Why is this clown posting the same thing in three different spots?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:21 PM   #10
Kris
CF Newbie

Hey guys, alright i got new spark plugs and a new exaust today. The spark plugs are Bosch platnum 2 and i got a complete exaust kit catlistic converter is the old stock one. Ill let you know how it goes after i Put it on. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 01-15-2006, 02:17 AM   #11
Kris
CF Newbie

Alright thanks for your help! It was the exsaust. I put the new one on and it was fine. And i love it! Thansk for all of your help everyone,
Kris
Old 01-16-2006, 03:21 AM   #12
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Alright thanks for your help! It was the exsaust. I put the new one on and it was fine. And i love it! Thansk for all of your help everyone,
Kris

There is no way that it was the exhaust. It would have to be the spark plugs. I actually drilled 2 holes in my exhaust pipe to make it a bit louder and nothing changed. I have run it with no muffler at all on the end either. The exhaust will only cause it to stall when it starts taking air back in...which in that case your timing is off and you will blow the engine up.
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:33 AM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
There is no way that it was the exhaust. It would have to be the spark plugs. I actually drilled 2 holes in my exhaust pipe to make it a bit louder and nothing changed. I have run it with no muffler at all on the end either. The exhaust will only cause it to stall when it starts taking air back in...which in that case your timing is off and you will blow the engine up.

You've drilled holes in your exhaust to make it louder?...Where exactly did you drill them? Because I'm almost positive it would have to be at the muffler...

It might be the exhaust, in the case of back-pressure, where more exhaust is trying to get out than possible...
Old 01-16-2006, 03:34 AM   #14
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

SPeaking of cars without exhausts,

The other day we had a brand new X5 4.4i for PDI. It turned out one of the cats was damaged, so the tech took out the exhaust system and parked the car outside. He clearly wrote "do not drive" on the keytag, then hung it up. Later on, one of the dumbass salespeople took the key, gave it to a potential customer and told him he could start it up while he went to get a demo plate. Basically the X5 sounded like WWIII and the customer practically had a heart attack. It was pretty funny. Everyone in the shop could hear it start up from inside.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:26 AM   #15
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

see? the car runs fine without a exhaust...it is loud as hell but it still runs fine. If you really want to know they are only 2 - 5/32" holes a little bit before the muffler plus my exhaust gasket leaks when the accelerator is halfway or more so it get nice and loud
I can't drill the holes before the cat because then I will get nailed for a faulty exhaust system and fail the air-care...here we MUST have a catalytic on for it to be street-legal
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote