Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2003, 11:07 PM   #16
TM875
CF Newbie

Simple formula

$ of style products > $ of performance products = Rice

Someone who owns a stock Japanese vehicle is not rice. Someone who actually makes good performance mods and keeps the vehicle tasteful is not rice (like the 700hp Supra). Someone who just wants to make his vehicle more comfortable or unique, while keeping tasteful, is not rice (for example, adding REAL European parts onto a Focus).

Ricers are people (typically 25 and below) that think if they own a Civic and add a big sticker in the window that says "CIVIC" their car will go faster. Just having the NOS sticker does not add power. Orange wings do not make you look cool. Carbon fiber, especially fake carbon fiber, that is not painted is ugly. More people need to think before they waste money.
TM875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 04:03 AM   #17
Arthur
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57ock
Japanese Cars will always been known as "Rice". The Same way we call American / Australian Cars "Bogan"

No matter what you try to do. Someone will call it rice.
I drive a rice car. Its looks factory from the outside. But has a 800hp turbo under the bonnet. But it has 3 gauges and a rice boost controller.
So its rice.

oh come on now, explain does your car have 800hp or is the turbo able to produce that much.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:00 AM   #18
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

Rice Rocket is something old American Motorcycle guys used to call Japanese street bikes. The term has since migrated to Japanese cars.
Widowmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:42 PM   #19
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

TM875 wrote -
"Someone who actually makes good performance mods and keeps the vehicle tasteful is not rice (like the 700hp Supra)."

What makes you think that a car with dual 5" exaust tips, fake hood pins/race clips and LED washer jets is tasteful?

Widowmaker2k
"Rice Rocket is something old American Motorcycle guys used to call Japanese street bikes. The term has since migrated to Japanese cars."

We've already established that - Arthur pointed out the fact that the term "rice rocket" pertains back to Japanese motorbikes and then I said that the term has since migrated to Japanese cars.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:59 PM   #20
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

lol, I'm sorry, I was just answering the man's question, I didn't have time to read the whole thing.
Widowmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 12:37 AM   #21
TM875
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
TM875 wrote: -
"Someone who actually makes good performance mods and keeps the vehicle tasteful is not rice (like the 700hp Supra)."

What makes you think that a car with dual 5" exaust tips, fake hood pins/race clips and LED washer jets is tasteful?

Hey, I never said that fake hood pins and LED washer tips are tasteful. A Supra, with 700hp under the hood, is not rice. They can add ugly stuff to make it look dumb (like the washer tips), which would make it on the verge of being ricey. I was not referring to a specific Supra, just the car in general.

HOWEVER...
The term "rice" refers to a car which is overstyled without any performance mods. A car with 700hp and fake hood pins is not rice, just ugly. :P
TM875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:16 AM   #22
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

TM875 said -

TM875, I noticed how you wrote, "the 700bhp Supra" and not, "a 700bhp Supra" so I thought that you must have been refering to the only 700bhp Supra mentioned in this topic.
As for what is 'rice' and what isn't, it's always going to be a grey area where people have their own opinions on it.
It's been interesting what different people have had to say in this topic though.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:38 PM   #23
57ock
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
waaa? what do you mean by 800hp turbo? do you mean your running a turbo that could give you that much power or that you are running 800hp??

Nah turbo is rated at 800hp. Currently my motor is putting out around 400hp @ the fly
Old 07-10-2003, 08:15 AM   #24
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

to me, not all hondas and other japanese cars are rice. rice to me, is nothing but crappy imports that look like crap, and run like crap. dont get me wrong, of course most people start with the basics of a body kit, muffler, and intake, but the instance that person thinks they're car is king "ish" then it kinda developes into "rice" (unless of course theyre car is king ish to begin with) i think rice has a very complex meaning... oh and i consider some people rice as well, (not japanese people) i mean stupid people with cars that do stupid things to theyre car......

all in all i dont think i made a lot of sense in my typing, but it works in my head... haha, i dunno, i hope it makes sense

tell me if the whole thing made anysense please
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:34 AM   #25
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

mazda6man, your post made sense to me ) I think the term that you were looking for is a 'rice boy' - The driver of the 'ricer'.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:55 AM   #26
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

thanks
and im glad it made sense too

Old 07-11-2003, 11:05 PM   #27
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

This is something that we towed in the other day, and yes it qualifies as a ricer. Note the custom stripes, super snazzy "rims", and the extra emblems on the decklid. Sorry about the quality I used my pocket camera. 8)

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 11:21 PM   #28
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Little does the owner of that car know that the owner of the shop that it had been towed to has taken pictures of it and put them on the internet lol
Old 07-12-2003, 01:39 AM   #29
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
Little does the owner of that car know that the owner of the shop that it had been towed to has taken pictures of it and put them on the internet

Yeah , well..... It doesn't really matter much. It was a city call. He was arrested for no drivers license, registration, insurance, DUI, evading arrest, and possesion of a controlled substance. Oops! 8)

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 08:01 AM   #30
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

those are some pretty slick hubcaps eh?