Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Tony43
CF Newbie

Unhappy '92' Ford Explorer.... No Power?

Hi, My name is
Tony and I'm having a problem with my 92 Ford Explorer 4.0L XLT
I don't know if this is related, but I had it in the shop last May for a faulty fuel pump. They did some re-wiring to the pump because they said it was getting to much voltage so they spliced in somewhere along the harness after the power distrubution box. Anyway my power locks and mirrors didn't work anymore after that. The car worked fine though until I lost complete electrical power to the car while driving a few weeks ago. I popped the hood and jiggled the wires that were connected to the negative post on my battery and I had power again and everything was fine until today when I popped the hood to check the oil. Closed the hood turn the key to start the car and bam lost all electric again. Open the hood, jiggled the same wires again and I got power back, went to start the car and bam all the power gone again. Tried jiggling the wires again but the power to the car won't come back. Cleaned the terminals and tightened up the wires still nothing although sometimes only the dome light and the radio will turn on. No headlights, flashers, windows or the ding ding ding when you put the key in etc,etc. Hope someone can help me, I really don't have the funds for another expensive repair.
Thank you in advance
Tony
Tony43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Well if the shop spliced the wires and everything is failing they should have to fix it for you no charge to you. The wiring could have shorted when spliced and not enough power is getting to the right places. How old is your battery also. I'd have that shop look at it again and see what they say.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
Tony43
CF Newbie

First of all thank you for your fast response.

I already called them, they are giving me the run around, he want's to charge me 50 dollars just for a tow (they are down the block from where we live) and he said if it's something they did, they will fix it for for free, I got the feeling no matter what I will end up paying for it (money I just don't have right now) I figure it has to be something I can fix myself?

The battery is a year old Die hard. I can post a picture of the splice? It's hard to explain.
Tony

Edit to post some pics, maybe that will help explain.

Last edited by Tony43 : 01-17-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Tony43
CF Newbie

Here are some more pics:

Tony