Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Having your car dynoed

I have a few questions about dynos. What is the most accurate type of dyno tune? I heard many arguments between people when I saw a thread of a member dynoing his 05 GT, of what was and wasn't accurate. So what is for the most part the most accurate? Where can you have your car dynoed at? I know of a performance shop near me and I am thinking of calling them up, but I also would like to know what kind of dyno tune is the most accurate. How much does this usually cost? Around 100$?

Thanks guys

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:39 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
I have a few questions about dynos. What is the most accurate type of dyno tune? I heard many arguments between people when I saw a thread of a member dynoing his 05 GT, of what was and wasn't accurate. So what is for the most part the most accurate? Where can you have your car dynoed at? I know of a performance shop near me and I am thinking of calling them up, but I also would like to know what kind of dyno tune is the most accurate. How much does this usually cost? Around 100$?

Thanks guys
Obviously you're talking about a chassis dyno unless you intend to remove your engine for testing. All quality dynos will be relatively accurate. The most important thing is to realize that accuracy IS relative. The very same brand of dyno, operated by the very same person, with the very same cars will generally give you different readings on different days, even when weather correction factors are considered. If you go to different dynos, the degree of relative inacuracy will be more apparent. It's kind of like going to two different resturants. Even if they use the same ingredients, the food won't taste exactly the same.

That being said, the most important factor is the operator. A good one has a set procedure and follows it every time to give you the most reliable results. As for the price, you can consider $100 as a jumping in point. It all dpends on how much you want done and how much needs to be done to your car.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:04 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I've got a question, which relates to the situation...I'm watching the Barrett (sp?) Jackson Auction, and there's a commercial that I've seen before, and never knew if it was real...

It's called the Gtech Pro, and claims to be extremely accurate on 1/4 mile times and speeds, 0-60 times, and hp and torque just by plugging into the 12 volt lighter plug...Anyone know how accurate this actually is?

http://www.gtechpro.com/accuracy.html

BTW This isn't an ad, and sorry for kind of hijacking your thread lol...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:12 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I've got a question, which relates to the situation...I'm watching the Barrett (sp?) Jackson Auction, and there's a commercial that I've seen before, and never knew if it was real...

It's called the Gtech Pro, and claims to be extremely accurate on 1/4 mile times and speeds, 0-60 times, and hp and torque just by plugging into the 12 volt lighter plug...Anyone know how accurate this actually is?

http://www.gtechpro.com/accuracy.html

BTW This isn't an ad, and sorry for kind of hijacking your thread lol...
I own a G-Tech and find it to be a nice toy. It can come in real handy for comparing performance before and after doing a mod or making a change to a car... Or just goofing around. It's also a pretty good way to shut up somebody who thinks they have a 9 second civic.

This is a pretty good article on them. Happy reading.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-19-2006, 05:00 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I own a G-Tech and find it to be a nice toy. It can come in real handy for comparing performance before and after doing a mod or making a change to a car... Or just goofing around. It's also a pretty good way to shut up somebody who thinks they have a 9 second civic.

This is a pretty good article on them. Happy reading.

Just got through reading it, and for $300, the G-Tech doesn't seem to be too bad...but they didn't address horsepower...is it fairly close?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:31 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Just got through reading it, and for $300, the G-Tech doesn't seem to be too bad...but they didn't address horsepower...is it fairly close?
Horsepower is actually pretty easy for any micro processor to calculate with the right software. The trick is in ensuring all the input data is correct. As with any computer, garbage in, garbage out.

In the admittedly few times I've taken the time to input the required info, I feel it does a good job of estimating horsepower and torque. On the other hand, acceleration, braking and cornering G's are of more use in the real world. I know you kids love to toss around power figures, but the fact is that it dosn't matter what kind of power you make on paper, it's all about getting it to the ground and using it. For years I've run cars that are underpowered on paper, but somehow they always (almost) manage to be fast on the track.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:42 AM   #7
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
How much does this usually cost? Around 100$?
I asked my buddy and he said our club gets a deal at a speed shop not to far from Carbondale. For $200, you get 3 pulls and your ECU tweaked if it needs it (VTEC timing lowered or highered, air/fuel ratios, etc.).
I'm getting mine done as soon as I feel she's ready for a dyno run.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
........ For years I've run cars that are underpowered on paper, but somehow they always (almost) manage to be fast on the track.

Like this legend
Old 01-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #9
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

I just got off the phone with two places, one place doesn't have an in-house dyno, and the other places that does only tunes imports (of course) but they said for 2 pulls it would be 75 dollars just to see what my power is right now. I think I am going to go ahead and do it when I get the cahnce because I would really like to know what I'm putting down.

Also a question about the G-tech-pro, that measures what you are putting to the flywheel and not the wheels? I guess it would still be kinda worthwhile and pretty accurate for 300$ prolly worth it. Just wondering, thanks guys.

EDIT: Do you guys think it will be worthwhile to look for a place that does dynoing AND tuning? My car (1988 Mustang GT) Is still all stock, so could it be tuned for more performance stock? Or should I just have it dynoed now and then once I add some bolt-ons take it to a place that tunes as well?

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."

Last edited by Pythias : 01-19-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:32 PM   #10
Wally
I Know More Than You

If the engine is stock, wouldn't it be easier to look up the manufacturer's specs?

Hub, rolling road, etc dyno's are a tuning instrument, not an accurate measure of power. Programs like "shootout mode" are promoted by companies like Dyno Dynamics in an attempt to simulate repetitive test conditions in order to check validity of "improvements".

If you decide to go aftermarket ECU you can expect to spend several hundred dollars having it tuned on a dyno, but the gains are usually evident (caveat emptor).
Old 01-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #11
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
If the engine is stock, wouldn't it be easier to look up the manufacturer's specs?

Hub, rolling road, etc dyno's are a tuning instrument, not an accurate measure of power. Programs like "shootout mode" are promoted by companies like Dyno Dynamics in an attempt to simulate repetitive test conditions in order to check validity of "improvements".

If you decide to go aftermarket ECU you can expect to spend several hundred dollars having it tuned on a dyno, but the gains are usually evident (caveat emptor).

Yes I can look up the manufactured specs. But that in now way would include the factors of the mileage and wear and tear of the vehicle, none-the-less I am looking for RWHP, and I have heard many different accounts that the stock RWHP is 10-18% loss from the crank. In my Mustang & Super Fords issue they said it was an 18% loss, which seems a little high but none-the-less I want to have a starting point because I am shooting for 300RWHP

Old 01-19-2006, 11:00 PM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

Well in that case wouldn't it be easier to ring a few dyno places and ask them rear wheel power specs for a stock mustang? I'm not rying to be cute, I just think you will spend money that isn't necessary.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/ford-dyno-tests.html
Old 01-20-2006, 04:08 AM   #14
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

I know... my thing though is I know it doesn't have the stock power anymore with over 100k miles and prolyl abused a little, so I would like to know what the power is AFTER all the wear and tear. I might be only 5rwhp off or I might be more like 25, I don't know and I would like to know BEFORE I being my mods to see how much I have gained, and not be surprised.

Also no offense Wally, but that ford link doesn't tell me anythign what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the stock rwhp of my Mustang, so I can then compare it to the dyno, and see how much power has been lost since stock for one, and of course see my starting point. I don't know an accurate loss between the crank and wheels for this particular year, and can only give guesses as to what the STOCK rwhp was.

Last edited by Pythias : 01-20-2006 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:46 AM   #15
Wally
I Know More Than You

Well OK then, but I would have thought your benchmark would be stock power, because you are going to have to fix things that are tired anyway, before or during the implementation of improvement strategies.