Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 AM   #1
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

car stalling

ok the car is a 1975 pontiac catalina, 400ci. v8, 2bbl carb, TH400 auto. all stock
the car has a hard time starting, and once it is started when I press the gas pedal it stalls and dies. i think its the fuel pump but i dont know for sure. what can i do to fix this?
thanks
azkid110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Slimone
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkid110
ok the car is a 1975 pontiac catalina, 400ci. v8, 2bbl carb, TH400 auto. all stock
the car has a hard time starting, and once it is started when I press the gas pedal it stalls and dies. i think its the fuel pump but i dont know for sure. what can i do to fix this?
thanks
Hi need more info about the car , is it a everyday driver ,as it set for a long time ,when was the last time it was tuned up? has the carb been rebuilt? check fuel pressure ? more info please Slimone
Slimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
thanks

does it only do this when its cold???
Old 01-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #4
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

Quote:
thanks

my dads malibu does this sometimes and they way he does it is pump the gas pedal 3 or 4 times and start the car and it doesn't die.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:25 AM   #5
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

it was an every day driver in 2004 then my dad got a new jeep and gave me this car, but even then it would do the same. it has been sitting for awile, maybe about a month and a half. when my father had the car it was poorly taken care of so it didnt get tuned up very often, but i would say about a year ago it got tuned. i think the carb was redone when i was really little but definatly not lately. it does this all the time, cold or hot and in arizona, its almost always hot. i tryed pumping the gas but its gotten to the point where to start it, i need to hold down the gas pedal. any more ideas or solutions?
azkid110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Slimone
CF Enthusiast

Hi Azkid, I'am in az also an where I'am at its cold ,lol , Well would say give it a tune up an check fuel pump for pressure ,check the choke ,sounds like its not working , Car that old you might want to have a look at the fuel lines ,This Az weather does a job on rubber lines. may have cracks or leaks in them . Have fun Slimone
Slimone is offline   Reply With Quote