Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
designbloke
CF Newbie

Question Can you help?

I am an Industrial design student at Huddersfield University in the UK

As part of my final year design project I am conducting research into car ownership and maintenance.

I am simply looking for problem areas that could lead to the development of some kind of device or product.

Can you help?
Do you have any problems with the maintenance equipment you use?
Is there anything you find annoying or frustrating living with a car that would benefit from research and new product development??

I will keep this thread updated with the progress of the project.
designbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
omaish
CF Newbie

i dont think there is much left for invension in cars . cars are now complete devices . and whenever some problem occours engg. solves it. however i never had any problem with my car or its equiments
Old 01-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaish
i dont think there is much left for invension in cars . cars are now complete devices . and whenever some problem occours engg. solves it. however i never had any problem with my car or its equiments

There always is...do you remember that day in 1940-something (getting old, can't remember the days) when the owner of Warner Bros. said that everything had been invented, and nothing was left...was he right?

Do you remember when William Hewlett (Hewlett-Packard) decided to turn down paying for the design of a personal computer from Steve Jobs and Bill Gates?...He didn't commit suicide for nothing...

There are things that can be invented, but it's hard to think of it, like...something that saves fuel--something like a carbon-fibre engine (not that, obviously, but something like that...)
Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
BlueMeanie
CF Newbie

One day... all sex will be with robots!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
elchango36
WWJCD

Sorry, my beef isn't with the cars themselves, rather the idiots driving them. How about not making it so easy to get a driving license. Or how about implementing a 2 year training license for new drivers in which they aren't given a full on license untill they have completed a 2 year "probation" period in which they must abide my acouple of strict rules. And perhaps a mandatory annual Senior citizen driving test for renewing a drivers license. You know what else would help? Re-educating the masses on how to drive safely and efficiently (for example, the left lane is the PASSING LANE, not the go slower than the right (slow) lane . In short, changing people's attitudes when they're behind the wheel.
[end rant]
Old 01-20-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

There you go, develop a system that monitors the driver's driving habits over a period of time, finds trends, compares them to a set of standards or norms, and then educates the driver on what they are doing wrong and what they need to do to correct it.

If the driver doesn't correct their behavior within a period of time, then the authorities are automatically notified and the driver gets a citation in the mail. The fine keeps going up unless the behavior is corrected.

Or, you could hook up the drivers seat to the coil and give him/her a zap once in a while until they learn.

So many options.........

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001

If the driver doesn't correct their behavior within a period of time, then the authorities are automatically notified and the driver gets a citation in the mail. The fine keeps going up unless the behavior is corrected.
I don't really care if Bush and the gang are listening to my phone conversations, but this is going a little too far for me. With a system like this there would probably be something to notify the cops when you speed. I'm not a crazy bastard who always flies around town, but every now-and-then when the coast is clear I have been known to have a little fun. However, I do like what you said earlier in the post. If the system just makes suggestions to the driver, that would be useful to those with the sense to listen to it.

I think a developing car technology is crash-prevention. Basically the car being able to tell when it is about to hit another car. This would probably be a good subject to research.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:02 AM   #8
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I think a developing car technology is crash-prevention. Basically the car being able to tell when it is about to hit another car. This would probably be a good subject to research.

Or how about developing SUV anti-rollover technology ?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:38 AM   #9
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
There you go, develop a system that monitors the driver's driving habits over a period of time, finds trends, compares them to a set of standards or norms, and then educates the driver on what they are doing wrong and what they need to do to correct it.

Or, you could hook up the drivers seat to the coil and give him/her a zap once in a while until they learn.

So many options.........

Yes while we are at it lets let the government invade our homes and set up camera's covering every inch of our hosue to make sure we are behaving right, thats an ingenius idea you have there.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:43 AM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Yes while we are at it lets let the government invade our homes and set up camera's covering every inch of our hosue to make sure we are behaving right, thats an ingenius idea you have there.

Big Brother's coming!!

Why are you getting so defensive?...Hiding something?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:53 AM   #11
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Big Brother's coming!!

Why are you getting so defensive?...Hiding something?

Defensive? Lol do you watch football? I think I was more on the offensive, and once he tries* to defend himself he will be on the defensive. And nope I'm not trying to do anything except protect the Freedoms and Liberties that the U.S. Constitution states we were born with, thats what I'm doing, what about you?

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:04 AM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Defensive? Lol do you watch football? I think I was more on the offensive, and once he tries* to defend himself he will be on the defensive. And nope I'm not trying to do anything except protect the Freedoms and Liberties that the U.S. Constitution states we were born with, thats what I'm doing, what about you?

SUPERBOWL XL!!...sorry, just getting excited 14 more days, and only ten miles from my house lol...

I think it would be annoying, but they are planning stuff, like setting up cameras, to spy on possible terrorists, and people who come in contact with them, but what if a terrorist to be asked you for directions, and then they'd spy on you...

So there is that...there's gotta be a way to keep an eye on criminals though...
Old 01-23-2006, 05:07 PM   #13
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
You are a bit to late to get fired up over a topic like this. Systems that can be accessed remotely and watch your vehicles progress are already out there. I'm sorry, but it looks like we are already loosing the war on being able to do whatever we want in our vehicles. I'm not a big fan of big brother either but the general public in the US seems too complacent to do much about it.

So back to the topic at hand, you may have noticed that I did offer a "non-big-brother" option with zapping the driver if they don't behave. I like to explore all the options. And I left the door open for you to come up with your own versions.

Quote:
..... I think I was more on the offensive, and once he tries* to defend himself he will be on the defensive. ...
Yes, you were offensive. Do you always resort to sarcasim to try to make your point? As for me being defensive, I so no reason to defend myself. First, there would have to be a good offense.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.

Last edited by theman352001 : 01-23-2006 at 05:09 PM.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #14
newyorker
MXman

You COULD do it on an invention to reduce the ammount of tire blowouts that happen.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #15
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
newyorker: You COULD do it on an invention to reduce the ammount of tire blowouts that happen.

Hey genius, they already have that feature, it's called run-flat.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote