Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2006, 04:43 AM   #1
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

3rd Gen. 350TPI Help... please

Ok, I have the 350TPI (From an 89 Trans Am GTA) in my 84 Fiero.
Now, I didn’t do the swap but I had to remove the engine to do a clutch job... now I’m putting the car back together and I’m finding I don’t have all the connectors from the loom or sensors on the engine.
I need help identifying these so I can either bypass the loom and run new wires from the ECM to the sensor or what ever else Ill have to do to make it run again.

1st one is what looks like my Speedo connector (same connector end) only my Speedo is hooked up (was marked number 8) This has a tan color wire and a black wire (I know its colors that are most important). The engine was done using original (GTA) wiring colors for just such an event... so I need to know what this does and where it’s supposed to be hooked up.

2nd is the air temp sensor on the TPI intake upper plenum... cant find a connector on the loom for it, but I know it was hooked up because I remember taking it off (was a pain and a half) where does this hook up normally? to some other part of the engine or straight to the loom? if the loom what color are the wires for it supposed to be?

3rd is the EGR valve... its odd I don’t remember unhooking it ever... and well its not marked and the inside of the connector is dirty as all hell, like its never been connected in the last 10 years the engine has been running... can it run with out this?

4th is a wire I cut... and cant find the other half too because it disappeared under the engine so I figured I could cut it and then find it later... I was wrong....SOOOOO its a single wire Light tan almost just an off white.

And last but not least is a white sensor on what would be the passenger side of the engine, just above the oil pan... no clue... its clean so it should have been connected to something.

Ok that’s all I’ve got... I figure this stuff out and it’ll be running then I can either sell it or save it for the summer.

If no one can figure anything out by just the description I’ll go and snap a few shots in the morning and after class I’ll post them.

OH, it might also be prudent to let you guys know I’m not running the stock ECM… I’m using an ACCEL programmable ECM.
I’m very grateful for any help you guys can offer.

Last edited by TheFieroKid : 01-19-2006 at 04:47 AM.
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I know this isn't what you want to hear, especially from me, but you should have marked wires and taken pictures BEFORE you pulled everything apart. This is what is known as 20/20 hindsight and a good example of why you always want to think before doing. To make matters worse, this isn't even a straight up install. It sounds to me like your best bet at this point is to get a wiring diagram for an '89 Fireturd and go from there.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I know this isn't what you want to hear, especially from me, but you should have marked wires and taken pictures BEFORE you pulled everything apart. This is what is known as 20/20 hindsight and a good example of why you always want to think before doing. To make matters worse, this isn't even a straight up install. It sounds to me like your best bet at this point is to get a wiring diagram for an '89 Fireturd and go from there.
I did that... that’s why it says in the post "it was marked number 8".
Two of them aren’t marked, probably fell off. and one of them still has number 7 on it...

I also took pics... but I cant make hide nor hair of any thing in them.

As far as the wiring diagram... they haven’t been much help... doesn’t help when you don’t know what connectors on the loom are supposed to go too... if I knew it might be more help.
As for the other 2 sensors, I’m not having much luck finding them... that’s why I’m asking for help... I’m at the end of what I’m able to accomplish on my own.

is the sensor in the upper intake the mass air flow sensor?
If so... ive got one down.

Last edited by TheFieroKid : 01-19-2006 at 06:47 AM.
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote