Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
gunner181
CF Newbie

Fixing the Instrument printed circuit?

Hello All

I have a 94 Jeep yJ 4 cyl

I was wondering If anyone had any ideas on how to clean a printed circuit for my instrument cluster. Or even if you can? I would prefer not to buy a new one if I don't have to. My gauges are acting funny when I use the headlight and dimmer circuit, and it looks like there is some buildup or corrosion on the terminals under the cluster pin connector that attaches to the wiring connector.

Thanks
gunner
gunner181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
carlos
CF Addict

to my knowledge you can't repair them you have to replace them
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner181
Hello All

I have a 94 Jeep yJ 4 cyl

I was wondering If anyone had any ideas on how to clean a printed circuit for my instrument cluster. Or even if you can? I would prefer not to buy a new one if I don't have to. My gauges are acting funny when I use the headlight and dimmer circuit, and it looks like there is some buildup or corrosion on the terminals under the cluster pin connector that attaches to the wiring connector.

Thanks
gunner
.... just give it a good scrub. If the stuff's too hard to get off, you might need a weak solvent of some type.... not sure what. You obviously don't want to erode the tracks too much.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 AM   #4
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I wouldn't recommend cleaning them, but if you want to try I would assume you'd need to use a specialized product for electrical devices and such, like contact spray. Examples below:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...30&rak=341-200

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...uct/8591-0024/

You could also try isapropyl alcohol. Use a foam tipped q-tip so that you don't get the fluff the cotton ones leave behind. Make sure you let it completely dry before reattaching anything.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:38 AM   #5
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
I wouldn't recommend cleaning them, but if you want to try I would assume you'd need to use a specialized product for electrical devices and such, like contact spray. Examples below:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...30&rak=341-200

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...uct/8591-0024/

You could also try isapropyl alcohol. Use a foam tipped q-tip so that you don't get the fluff the cotton ones leave behind. Make sure you let it completely dry before reattaching anything.

I agree with talonchick maybe if the build up is not too stuck on their maybe a simple can of keyboard cleaner spray/air would work.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
lectroid
0000?

Check these guys out.

http://www.mrwhizard.com/
Old 01-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Check these guys out.

http://www.mrwhizard.com/
Hey you crotchity old redneck. How the hell have you been? Stick around and post some more.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:26 AM   #8
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Hey you crotchity old redneck. How the hell have you been? Stick around and post some more.

if he can manage to stop advertising...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
Snowman
CF Newbie

I like to use a common everyday number two pencil eraser to remove corrosion from printed circuit card and edge connectors. You can also go to an electronic supply house and pickup a fiberglass cleaning brush specifically designed to remove corrosion from metal surfaces however use the fiberglass brush with care or you can remove to much of the copper. You then can use a good soldering flux ( NON-acid) and 50/50 .020 or simular solder to re-tin the damaged areas. You may even need to run bus wires across the damaged copper run if the corrosion is severe. You should try to nutralize the oxidation with a chemical bath or good old elbow greese using a good stiff brush and Fantasik or 409 type surfacant. Rinse throughly, dry throughly, remove any bulbs, mask off all electrical contact areas, and then LIGHTLY spray the card with a conformal coating, which may also be found at the electronic supply house. Happy printed circuit card repair
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote