Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2004, 11:33 AM   #1
sad_muso
CF Newbie

'86 Austin Metro Problems

Hey there. I recently got a 1986 C Reg Austin Metro, and due to knowing nothing about cars, failed to look over a couple of issues:

1: It still has the original radio player, but I'd like a CD or tape player installed. Can someone please tell me if all car audio systems are 'one size fits all', or do I stand little chance of getting a CD or tape player?

2: The speaker in the driver's door doesn't work. How hard is it to fix, or even better replace the speakers. Would modern car speakers fit the door of my car?

3: There are no rear seat belts. Are there kits avaliable to install rear seat belts, or any way of getting seat belts fitted for a car this age?

Thank you

sad_muso
sad_muso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

The first step to getting your questions answered is to visit the "Introduce Youself" section and use it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:07 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_muso
Hey there. I recently got a 1986 C Reg Austin Metro, and due to knowing nothing about cars, failed to look over a couple of issues:

1: It still has the original radio player, but I'd like a CD or tape player installed. Can someone please tell me if all car audio systems are 'one size fits all', or do I stand little chance of getting a CD or tape player?

2: The speaker in the driver's door doesn't work. How hard is it to fix, or even better replace the speakers. Would modern car speakers fit the door of my car?

3: There are no rear seat belts. Are there kits avaliable to install rear seat belts, or any way of getting seat belts fitted for a car this age?

Thank you

sad_muso
1. Most head units these days are sized to the DIN specification which makes swapping them around fairly easy to do. Notice the key word is MOST, however as I recall a Metro falls into that category.

2. That all depends on what's wrong with it. Is it a bad speaker, damaged/disconnected wiring, no head unit output, etc? Again if memory serves the door speakers on a Metro are 5 1/4" round, a standard size speaker.

3. A trip to your local breakers yard or Halfords. Halfords would also be able to help with the size/fitment of the stereo components.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 01:43 PM   #4
hippypunkr
CF Newbie

Radio Issue

HI,
Not all car radios are the same. if you can not find a newer style audio system to fit into your car then i sugest an audio system called secret audio. This following site is one of many that carries it: http:/www/the-direct-source.com

The site also has seatbelts.
hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_muso

Thank you

sad_muso
hippypunkr is offline   Reply With Quote